1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Help...Tao Tao kids ATV. So I bought my kid a Tao tao

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help...Tao Tao kids ATV. So I bought my kid a Tao tao

ATV for Christmas a couple of years ago. He hasn't shown much interest in it and it's been idle in the garage for the past several months. As kids will do, he recently had a hankering for some 4-wheeling. I tried to start it for him this morning but no dice. It turned over but wouldn't fire. I decided to clean out the carb after a little reading online. Put everything back together and now the joker won't even turn over. I've confirmed that the battery is good, I jumped the starter solenoid and got it to turn over but that's been the sum total of my "troubleshooting " to this point.

Other info: neither my brake light, nor my head light is working (not 100% sure either was working before the fateful carb cleaning).

Any ideas? I'm thinking it has something to do with brake switch but I'm too dumb to test my theory.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:27 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

i found on mine the ignition switch gets corrosion inside from sitting. Iv had to spray with cleaner and cycle the key several times before things started working again. I would say that is the culprit since headlights are not working as well. Take a test light and make sure you are getting voltage out of the key

Old 01-27-2018, 02:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so I'm back at it today. Started checking wiring and switches. Ignition switch and start switch functionality has been confirmed with a multimeter. Also I found a blown fuse and replaced it. So now my brake light is at least functioning again but ATV is still not turning over at all. Any ideas?

Old 01-31-2018, 09:51 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine the brake safety switch at the foot brake whet bad. The one on the bars i found is actually to tight for little hands to activate

Old 03-05-2018, 04:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Still haven't figured this out. I do have it turning over. I broke down and bought a new carburetor. It came in last week and I put it on this weekend. It cranks and about 1 out of every 3 cranks it sounds like it's starting to fire but won't. I've confirmed that I'm getting a spark. The carb is brand new. Air filter is clean.

Any ideas of what I can check next? Thanks.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

what did you figure out was the issue with the no response from the start button? my kid was out riding his and the next day bam, no response from the ignition button, changed out everything i could think of as far as starting goes. next im going onto ignition coil and CDI box.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Dumbdad, did you ever get this figured out? I just replaced the carb on a Tao Tao 125 and it still won't start. If I spray some starter fluid it'll run for a few seconds, then dies. That says fuel issue from my research, but there's plenty of gas coming down the fuel line when I pull it off....driving me nuts

Old 06-11-2018, 10:06 PM
!hop-off-in-these-sticks!
Default Fix it

Originally Posted by cneedelman
Hey Dumbdad, did you ever get this figured out? I just replaced the carb on a Tao Tao 125 and it still won't start. If I spray some starter fluid it'll run for a few seconds, then dies. That says fuel issue from my research, but there's plenty of gas coming down the fuel line when I pull it off....driving me nuts
I had the same problem with my son's 90cc taotao....I took the carb apart and cleaned all the points with alcohol and blew them out with a air nozzle....and also adjusted the throttle screw on the carb ...clockwize about three full turns....may have to adjust a lil more counter wize after you get it started!....

Old 07-03-2020, 02:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I currently have a similar issue where I’ve installed a new stator, cdi, and regulator and still have no charge voltage coming from the stator. All parts are new. Possible bad stator? I’ve been a automotive tech for over 20 years and and I can’t seem to figure this out. Was wondering if anyone might have any pointers. Thanks in advance

Old 07-03-2020, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Many have reported even new parts on these cheap Chinese machines can be bad.

Quick Reply: Help...Tao Tao kids ATV. So I bought my kid a Tao tao