1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Engine clicks but no spark

Old 06-22-2019, 08:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine clicks but no spark

Hi folks. I have a used tao tao 110cc atv that i cant get a spark. I hit the start button and i get the clicking sound. I changed fuel line and filter, cleaned carb. New spark plug and ignition coil. When i pull the spark plug out it is wet with gas. Itried the spark plug and ignition coil on another atv and it started no problem but when i put the spark in the coil and put it against he engine block it doesnt spark. I dont know much about engines and now im out of ideas.

Thanks,
Booker

Old 06-23-2019, 03:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

"I hit the start button and i get the clicking sound." This implies the engine isn't spinning over on the starter, is it?

Old 07-04-2019, 10:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
"I hit the start button and i get the clicking sound." This implies the engine isn't spinning over on the starter, is it?
Sorry for the long delay in reply. I have now replaced everything except the starter, the wire harness and the actual motor. When I press the start button i hear the solenoid click. That is it. Nothong else happens. Motor isnt trying to turn over at all.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

New development. Using jumper cables. I connected black to negative on battery and the red to the solenoid. Doing that the engine then tries to turn over. It doesnt manage to turn over but tries. Im getting a spark and fuel to the spark plug. Does this mean the wire harness is no good?

Old 07-05-2019, 01:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

If the engine doesn't turn over you can't get a spark. Please be a bit clearer on what is happening. Charge the battery and check it is sound, take the plug out, re connect the lead and lay it on the head, if the engine turns over on the button, and the plug sparks, put it back in and try again. If the engine then won't turn over on the button check all the heavy lead connections are good, including earths. If all of them are OK, put a 12v test lamp (not LED) between motor positive post and earth, press start button, if the lamp lights but starter doesn't turn, faulty starter.