1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

250cc quad clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250cc quad clutch

Hey Guys,
Quite new to ATV/quad scene.
I have a cheap 250cc lifan quad bike. Bought non-working to repair. I have managed to get the engine going well. With the wheels off the ground it will engage forward/reverse and runs fine.

When on the ground (under work) will start fine and rev fine but stalls when placed in forward/reverse. I was told it was semiautomatic and didn't have a clutch. I have a clutch lever-so this is wrong obviously! I have taken the clutch cover off and am not sure how the clutch is supposed to function. From the best I can tell, the clutch lever alligns with the centre of the clutch itself-is there meant to be a shaft the goes between the clutch lever and the clutch itself to engage it?

I have attached some photos, hopefully this helps.
Thanks, Richard

Clutch cover on engine

Inside of clutch cover. Clutch lever mechanism with spring in centre. There is a groove on this shaft-as if it should meet with another shaft to engage the clutch.

Engine once clutch cover removed. It seems like the groove on the clutch lever would allign with the centre of the clutch-but i cannot see anyway that they 'meet' each other..

Old 10-18-2019, 05:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know how these clutch mechanisms work??

Old 10-19-2019, 04:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 329 Likes on 320 Posts

Looks like a standard motorcycle multiplate clutch, pull the clutch lever, put it in gear and let the lever off slowly whilst revving up, like any motorcycle. If the clutch isn't disconnecting, it probably needs the cable adjusting, though plates can stick together if the bike hasn't been used for a long time. There will be lots of videos on U tube about this type of clutch. That engine will almost certainly be a copy of a Honda 250.

PS. just noticed there doesn't seem to be a lifting mechanism, on the photos, I would find a parts drawing on line for that engine and check if anything is missing.