2) Chassis problems.. If your quad runs but you have other problems.. post in here.

Front wheels skidding round corners

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 01:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front wheels skidding round corners

Just finished restoring an old Kazuma Meerkat 48cc for my lad. Everything seems to work ok in the main, but I noticed a huge tendency for the front wheels to skid constantly when attempting to make a tight turn (even at very low speed).

The Meerkat doesn't have a diff of any sort as far as I can see, just a single chain drive to a fixed rear axle. I thought ok fair enough, no diff / both rear wheels being driven at the same speed would be expected to cause a tendency to just go straight on.

But, it's not just that it's a little hard to turn, it's almost impossible when full lock's on. Light turns are much better, it's when you approach full lock that the problem gets rapidly worse.

These quads are designed for kids and I'm a pretty large adult, I only just manage to cram myself onto it.. maybe that doesn't help the experience I have. But my lad (10) although maybe at the upper end of the target age range, fits on it basically ok but still experiences the problem.

Tyre pressures are OK, wheels all spin freely

Just wondered if there might be any adjustment anywhere that might help things, like tracking etc.. I can see adjusters on the steering arms.. how would I go about checking that?

Old 09-22-2020, 01:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 329 Likes on 320 Posts

"These quads are designed for kids and I'm a pretty large adult,"

That is your problem, all kids quads are like that, you have moved the weight distribution to right over the rear axle by being far to big for it. Looks like your lad is too. You can put weights on the front end, they were available as an accessory for Suzuki 50s, but you are going to need a bigger quad if your lad is keen. Get one he can only just use because it is too big, and he will grow into it, rather than one he will rapidly outgrow.

Old 09-22-2020, 06:01 AM
Trailblazer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I've got just the thing. I originally bought a different quad for me & mum to use around the farm, the Meerkat just happened to be on the guy's trailer beside it so I bought that too on a whim for the lad. I think I'll do the other one up for him, and get something completely different for mum & dad.

The other quad seems to be a 200cc shaft-drive frankenquad of some sort, allegedly bashan-based, will have to do some research on what it actually is! It's much bigger.