3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

Chinese Quads

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
Very. Wasn't it Chrysler in the mid 70's that had a huge recall because the vehicles were rusting from the surface? I do seem to remember a friend getting that recall back.

Ford Pinto? Yeah, quality is job one.

I had an RX2. Biggest issue was the starter. Funny how it would outrun most V6 cars made here.

Those cars back then were made cheaply, not poorly. That's the way they were designed. You remember the oil embargo? All of a sudden those cheap made cars were popular. Not because they were luxurious, but because they were good on gas. And hey, they do seem to hold up well.

So going by what you're saying, everyone back then could afford a Cadillac or a Lincoln. We were about as middle class as you could get. 50 years later and we've still never had a Caddy or Lincoln in the driveway. But we knew what was junk and what wasn't.
At no point did I state that American manufacturers were incapable of making bad products. American companies generally behave the same way all companies behave: They react to economic circumstance. Put a company under enough financial pressure, and everything is negotiable.

Mercury and Johnson/Evinrude (OMC) outboards were the premium outboard motor brands for half a century. In the 1990s, OMC made a bad technical blunder with 2 stroke, direct fuel injection technology. It was such an expensive mess that it literally killed the company. Again, wind the clock back 30 years prior. Tell an American boater in the 1960s that someday, he'd dramatically prefer a Yamaha to a Johnson outboard, and he laughs at you and says you're dellusional, that no such thing can happen because the Japanese don't know how to make high quality outboard motors and the quality is inherent to the American outboard motor business.

I will say this about Japan's manufacturing business: In many categories, they used their domestic market, protected by law from foreign competition, to refine their early products. We were actually saved from their very worst wares. The Japanese consumer came to love American products that did make it to that marketplace because they were, at the time, far superior to what the Japanese companies marketed at home.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

I think the problem we have is we're comparing American/Japanese products.

Chinese industry has been around for quite a while, but it's products seem to have the same reputation for being low quality. And they don't seem to be worried about that.

There are plenty of people here on the forums that have purchased Chinese quads, and said they were good enough for their kids to learn on. As far as anyone here saying they'd buy a Chinese quad to race a GNCC series, I have yet to see that.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:16 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the problem we have is we're comparing American/Japanese products.

Chinese industry has been around for quite a while, but its products seem to have the same reputation for being low quality. And they don't seem to be worried about that.

There are plenty of people here on the forums that have purchased Chinese quads, and said they were good enough for their kids to learn on. As far as anyone here saying they'd buy a Chinese quad to race a GNCC series, I have yet to see that.
core point right there

Chinese have been around long enough to make (prove) their quality standards... and they have yet to do so- and they won't.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Trailblazer

Chinese industry has been around for quite a while, but it's products seem to have the same reputation for being low quality. And they don't seem to be worried about that.
My own experiences, not with ATVs, but in other categories of merchandise, directly contradict your statement.

I recall many personal experiences over the last couple of decades where a Chinese made product came with missing parts, too-soft hardware that stripped out very easily, and designs that were barely adequate for assembly, much less useful work.

But in recent years, I've had experiences with Chinese products where, after assembling and using them, I've thought to myself, and expressed to others, "How are we going to compete with this level of quality at this price point?" Perfectly useful stuff, well designed, decently manufactured, widely distributed, at a price that would be impossible to meet using domestic production.

Not every product. Some products. I participate in a variety of hobbies, and regularly swap product impressions with people in those hobbies. The trends I have experience personally suggest that Chinese quality is improving in many arenas, and I get that feedback from my peers in those other hobbies.

Again, I am new to ATVs. Maybe there is something unique about ATVs and the culture surrounding them that I don't yet perceive that will allow this market to defy the forces I see in other markets.

But you guys haven't convinced me. Yet.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Well, as far as atv's go, it would be pretty easy. Go for a ride with a group for a weekend. Take only the items they take, ride the same style and areas they ride. Then do that 4 or 5 times.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:24 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rbstern
My own experiences, not with ATVs, but in other categories of merchandise, directly contradict your statement.

I recall many personal experiences over the last couple of decades where a Chinese made product came with missing parts, too-soft hardware that stripped out very easily, and designs that were barely adequate for assembly, much less useful work.
and it's still that way- from every knock-off power tool to any child’s toy- they are cheaply made- and I can't count the amount of recalls from chinese manufacturers still using lead in their product (because it's cheap) instead of 5 ring planetary gears you get 3 ring- instead of milled or forged metal housings, you get white metal cast housings, instead of high quality steel, you get low quality steel with impurities... thy skimp on everything from magnets to drywall (which is currently a huge law suit about the chinese drywall- google it)

Originally Posted by rbstern
But you guys haven't convinced me. Yet.
likewise- but you'll digress in 30 years when it's the same'ol chinese crap
for someone stating history- you sure are missing a lot of it in regards to the chinese quality standards...

Old 06-29-2011, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

Well, as far as atv's go, it would be pretty easy. Go for a ride with a group for a weekend. Take only the items they take, ride the same style and areas they ride. Then do that 4 or 5 times.
Don't you sell Chinese ATV's? Sounds like you are putting them down.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Originally Posted by keithert
Don't you sell Chinese ATV's? Sounds like you are putting them down.
Nope. I shoot stuff for a living, on the good days.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by beergut
and it's still that way- from every knock-off power tool to any child’s toy- they are cheaply made- and I can't count the amount of recalls from chinese manufacturers still using lead in their product (because it's cheap) instead of 5 ring planetary gears you get 3 ring- instead of milled or forged metal housings, you get white metal cast housings, instead of high quality steel, you get low quality steel with impurities... thy skimp on everything from magnets to drywall (which is currently a huge law suit about the chinese drywall- google it)

likewise- but you'll digress in 30 years when it's the same'ol chinese crap
I'm familiar with all of that, including the drywall situation in Florida.

Once again (for the umpteenth time), I am not arguing that overall Chinese manufacturing quality is currently up to Japanese or western standards. I am arguing they are on an upward trend, and it's quite noticably in some product categories. I am also arguing that the factors responsible for this are very difficult to avoid and will likely impact the ATV market over the long term.

I read, while researching Artic Cat for this discussion, that they will no longer use Suzuki for motors starting in 2014. Any indication of where the next motors will come from. I'm going to say China.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:35 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by keithert
Don't you sell Chinese ATV's?

And Scooter never offered to cut me a deal????

Quick Reply: Chinese Quads