3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

Hammerhead Twister

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hammerhead Twister

Help please! The dirt buggy has a new motor but sat in storage for about a year after it was installed. Tried to start it to get it ready for sale but it doesn't kick over. It cranks strong but doesn't start. The spark plug does have fire. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Has this engine ever run?

What engine is it? GY6 150cc or 250cc?

Spark, fuel, compression.

You have spark. After cranking the engine a while quickly take out the plug and look to see if it is wet with fuel. Is it?

Put your thumb over the spark plug hole. Push hard. Crank the engine. Can you hold your thumb over the spark plug hole while pushing down using all your might? Or does your thumb get forced off with a pop?

Pour in a 1/2 teaspoon of gas into the cylinder. Put the plug back in and crank. Does it fire up at all?

Have you adjusted your valves?

When you put this away, was the carburetor drained, or was it full of fuel?

Old 07-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, the engine ran great before storage (New engine).

125cc 4 stroke engine

Spark plug wasn't wet...very dry.

Thumb got forced off with a pop. Good compression.

*Do you mean "pour the 1/2 teaspoon of gas into the spark plug hole?"

Never adjusted the valves because it's a new engine (< 1 hr of run time before putting it in storage).

The carburetor wasn't drained before putting it in storage (However, I pulled the carb tonight to find that it looked very clean with a little bit of gas spilling out. I put the carb back on and the same problem persists...it cranks good but no start).

Old 07-01-2011, 12:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you

Old 07-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by afierro
)....Spark plug wasn't wet...very dry.
So it looks like you have a fuel delivery problem...

...Do you mean "pour the 1/2 teaspoon of gas into the spark plug hole?"...
Yes. Then quickly reinstall the plug and try to start it up (be sure to set the kill switches in the run position). If it fires up briefly then this says the ignition system is working, and you can concentrate on the fuel delivery problem.

...Never adjusted the valves because it's a new engine (< 1 hr of run time before putting it in storage)....
I'm not familiar with the 125cc engine, but the 150cc GY6 version can have starting problems if the valves are too tight. Valves get tighter with wear, and tighter further still when the engine is cold. New engines experience valve tightening as they get seated in. Since they tighten further as the quad (whoops buggy ) cools down you could get a scenario where the quad runs all day long while the engine is warm to somewhat warm - then won't start when the engine cools all the way down. It's worth checking the valve clearances.

...The carburetor wasn't drained before putting it in storage (However, I pulled the carb tonight to find that it looked very clean with a little bit of gas spilling out. I put the carb back on and the same problem persists...it cranks good but no start).
You can't tell by looking if the jets are clogged unless you take the jets out and look through them. See if the engine starts up briefly with the gas poured in the spark plug hole. If so then looking further into the carburetor would be the next step.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

The engine briefly turns when I put gas in the cylinder.

This buggy has an auto fuel **** ***'y connected at the bottom of the gas tank with a rubber fuel line hose running from it to the carb. Do you think the auto fuel **** ***'y needs to be replaced? The only other thing I could think of is that that carb jet/s are dirty.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

The carb has one "needle set. jet" in the carb. How would I clean the needle jet?

Old 07-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

The plug does have spark, but fuel isn't getting to the carb (e.g., I squirted a little bit of gas into the cylinder then put back the spark plug and attempted to start it. It sputtered, but didn't start.

Could it be one of the following?
1. dirty jet needle
2. faulty auto by starter ***'y
3. faulty auto fuel **** ***'y

Thanks

Old 07-04-2011, 04:03 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

The plug does have spark, but fuel isn't getting to the carb (e.g., I squirted a little bit of gas into the cylinder then put back the spark plug and attempted to start it. It sputtered, but didn't start.

Could it be one of the following?
1. dirty jet needle
2. faulty auto by starter ***'y
3. faulty auto fuel **** ***'y

Thanks
Welcome to the forum afierro!

Start at the gas tank.. pull the fuel line off the carb.. does fuel flow out? if if does Id guess the carb jets are plugged..carb needs cleaning..

Old 07-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

This carb looks simple. Do you think a novice like myself could clean it? In the past, I took it off the engine before and dismantled some of it. It looked clean, but I know I won't be able to see if the jet is clean because it's too small to see.

If I'm able to clean it myself, what type of cleaner should I use? Shuld I just buy the usual carb clearner or is there a specific cleaner for the jet/s?

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Hammerhead Twister