3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

Yamoto 150cc no spark

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 02:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checked gap and smallest gauge I have is 0.51mm and that just fits in tight, I have 3 stators here all doing same thing, along with 2 cdi and 2 coil! Only thing that hasn't changed is flywheel!

Old 08-31-2011, 02:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just had 01.2vac on the coil primary but still only 0.01 on trigger wire

Old 08-31-2011, 02:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Also is the kill switch wire ok to be hanging loose for the moment, will it work without being connected? Could we have ignition wiring wrong?

Old 08-31-2011, 03:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

New flywheel on this afternoon no different???

Old 08-31-2011, 11:48 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I just went back through the whole thread. A lot of changes have been happening from the original post. First a 4 pin DC CDI, then a weird CDI, then the more standard 6 pin CDI (2 connectors - a 2 pin and a 4 pin).

In all of these the trigger voltage is reading 0.01 to 0.02 volts AC. This is wrong...

At one point you measured 142 ohms on the blue/white trigger wire. But were you measuring this down at the stator input looking directly into the engine (while disconnected from the wiring harness), or were you doing this from the timing trigger pin on the CDI connector? Some quads have kill switches that short the timing trigger line to ground to kill spark. If this were the case you would measure the blue white wire at the stator (disconnected from the wiring harness) as having the correct resistance, but if you measured at the CDI timing trigger pin it would be shorted to ground.

Again, 0.01 volts AC is wrong. A CDI won't trigger on that voltage. So either the voltage measurement here is wrong (thus this is just a red herring), the stator is bad, or the timing trigger line is shorted to ground in the harness (maybe through a kill switch). But three stators suggests strongly that it isn't the stator, and 142 ohms suggests that the timing trigger line isn't shorted to ground. But was the 142 ohms measured with the short removed? Like maybe you measured this down at the stator instead of at the CDI connector?

The kill switch wire hanging free (to the kill switch input to the CDI) is fine. But there can be other kill switches that wire into the timing trigger line - hence the questions above...

Old 09-01-2011, 12:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yesterday at one point there was a voltage that came from the cdi output but very brief and not happened since, all wiring is disconnected so can't see it could be shorted to ground, we have put new ground connections to the bits were trying to run at the mo to eliminate others, even measuring down by the trigger pickup point the voltage is the same, im measuring this on 200v~ is that correct, can you think of anything else we may be doing wrong?

Old 09-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by Jonesyscoob
Yesterday at one point there was a voltage that came from the cdi output but very brief and not happened since, all wiring is disconnected so can't see it could be shorted to ground, we have put new ground connections to the bits were trying to run at the mo to eliminate others, even measuring down by the trigger pickup point the voltage is the same, im measuring this on 200v~ is that correct, can you think of anything else we may be doing wrong?
So you are measuring 0.01 volts to 0.02 volts AC on a 200 volt scale on the trigger line? What kind of meter are you using? What is the brand and model number? I'm having difficulty believing this. I don't think they make meters like that. Are you sure you didn't mean 0.1 volts instead of 0.01 volts? That would be a 1000% error. Any meter that would be able to measure to a 0.01 volts (10 millivolt) resolution would certainly be able to go lower than 200 volts full scale.

We really need to solve this issue before going on. Bad data leads to bad conclusions. Good results depend on good data. I could be wrong, and I will freely admit it if I am, but we've got to get to a point where the data to be diagnosed is trusted and verifiable. Please don't get mad, but there is a lot here that does not make any sense....

Old 09-02-2011, 12:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all your help after swapping the flywheel and connecting back up the kill switches it now has spark

Old 09-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by Jonesyscoob
Thanks for all your help after swapping the flywheel and connecting back up the kill switches it now has spark
I'm glad you got it working....