3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

New to the group

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 06:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the group

I recently (5/8/15) purchased a Tao Tao 250 E. The seller asembled the machine for me. this thing ran for no more then thirty minutes before the ignition failed. I am very mechanicallly inclind. I know the quality level and reliability history of my purchase. But for Christs sake I wasn't expecting this! The most frustraiting thing is the lack of technical help. The Tao Tao help line is a joke having yet to return my calls or respond to on-line request for help. This machine has an "AC" ignition system. I've swapped the DCI module, verified kill switch opperation and coil output. I know this is an often told tail of woe on this site, but can anyone help me?

Old 05-15-2015, 07:15 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Check out the Chinese section for help. Lots of good people who have been there too can help you out.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Forgive my IT ignorance but how do I navigate to "chinese ATV" on this site? I am talanted at many things unfortunately social media savvy is not one of them.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:39 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Not to sound stupid but does it have a fuel shut off? Is it in the off position? Also are you getting spark? Was the machine running when it quit or was it just parked and will not restart?

Old 05-15-2015, 11:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default More background

No, actually this particular machine did not come equipped with a fuel shutoff. I did however install one along with an upgrade fuel filter. No wiring was disturbed in the installation. I have verified "no spark". I have swapped the CDI module, made voltage, continuity and resestance checks to what I believe to be an "AC" type ignition system however i have no idea what the correct values should be. I have verified the correct opperation of the kill switch. Currently, I have returned the machine to the seller to let them have a crack at it. They "Wholesale Motorsports" (WM) in Brighton MI have been selling and servicing chinese ATVs, Go Karts, Scootters etc, for seven years. Even they don't have schematics. What gives! I haven't even got this thing into third gear yet! WM is going to charge for diagnosis and repair, only parts are free/warrantied. Two years aago I had a nightmarrish experience with a on-line Coolster youth ATV purchase that came from Texas heavily dammaged in transit. Once I got all the parts fixed/straightend the little thing ran like a champ. I am more than technically capable. I just need good information. Thank you to any and everybody who has replied back. This is only my first day on this sight.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:44 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

One thing i ran into is the wires on the back of the ignition switch broke off only leaving 1 strand connected. That was a hard one to find. One thing to try is remove the black/white wire from cdi box. that one controls the kill switches and that will eliminate any problems on that end of the bike.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default More frustraited by the minute

My ATV is currently back at the seller to see what they can come up with. Thank you for staying in touch. All your help is greatly appreciated. I gather that the answer to the question as to wheather there is any concrete technical information about Chinese ATV's, is a resounding NO. The Tao Tao hotline has yet to call or e-mail back in my request for help.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts