3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

Linhai Manco Talon 2005 grinding problem.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 11:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Linhai Manco Talon 2005 grinding problem.

So first off we were just driving the atv around the other day and then it started to die at a low speed. Put it back into neutral and turned it off and back on after about 3 minutes. Tried to shift it into gear and it’s started making a grinding noise. I also noticed the throttle was sticking some so I was wondering about that. Any ideas on how to fix this issue? Thanks!

Old 01-14-2019, 03:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

If the bike has a centrifugal clutch, the revs need to drop low enough for the clutch to disengage before you can put it in gear without grinding. Clean the carb out, making sure the slider or butterfly is moving freely, check the cable is free, and try again.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Used often.

Originally Posted by merryman
If the bike has a centrifugal clutch, the revs need to drop low enough for the clutch to disengage before you can put it in gear without grinding. Clean the carb out, making sure the slider or butterfly is moving freely, check the cable is free, and try again.
The quad is actually driven very often so I don’t think it would be the carb. I’m thinking it might have something to do with the clutches. Any idea on how to fix it?

Old 01-16-2019, 02:47 AM
Elite Pro Rider

A bit of grit can get into a throttle slide anytime. Throttle butterfly spindles can stick on bikes used all day, everyday. An air leak can raise idle speed. If the idle is too fast, fix it before looking for clutch problems.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Idle speed

A bit of grit can get into a throttle slide anytime. Throttle butterfly spindles can stick on bikes used all day, everyday. An air leak can raise idle speed. If the idle is too fast, fix it before looking for clutch problems.
we already reduced the idle and it’s still making a grinding noise. Not sure how we would fix the clutch though.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Right, just googled it, and it looks to be a similar set up to the Suzuki LT80 with a centrifugal clutch after the variator. So it could be the variator pulleys sticking, so driving the clutch at high speed all the time, or it could be the centrifugal clutch, either seized, or a shoe stuck out and grabbing the clutch drum, often due to a broken pull off spring on a shoe. Here is what the clutch, and back part of variator looks like
Amazon Amazon

Old 01-17-2019, 09:24 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

How low did you set the idle.. They are set lower than you actually think by ear i had to set it just a hair above stalling..

Old 01-17-2019, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Idle

Originally Posted by Zrock
How low did you set the idle.. They are set lower than you actually think by ear i had to set it just a hair above stalling..
we did reduce it a lot and seemed like it was at about stalling speed. I guess we could try lower not sure if it’s an idiling issue though.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Clutch

Right, just googled it, and it looks to be a similar set up to the Suzuki LT80 with a centrifugal clutch after the variator. So it could be the variator pulleys sticking, so driving the clutch at high speed all the time, or it could be the centrifugal clutch, either seized, or a shoe stuck out and grabbing the clutch drum, often due to a broken pull off spring on a shoe. Here is what the clutch, and back part of variator looks like https://www.amazon.com/Clutch-Driven.../dp/B00SF2P276
so do you think the whole clutch needs a replacement? Also how hard of a job would that be? It’s still drive able so not sure if I would want to replace a whole part.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider

"so do you think the whole clutch needs a replacement? Also how hard of a job would that be? It’s still drive able so not sure if I would want to replace a whole part."

Take a look at it, inspection is the only way to find the fault, but at $72 for the whole thing, I doubt if they bother selling individual parts. It could just be something sticking, and may work fine once freed off. Belt replacement is a regular thing, and removing the clutch is probably needed for that, so no big deal.

Quick Reply: Linhai Manco Talon 2005 grinding problem.