3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

Spark problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2023, 03:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark problem

Hey ya値l, I知 looking for some much needed information. I have a little china pit bike engine that I have mounted on a China quad, however, I have not been able to get spark. I have completely replaced the entire wiring harness on this thing, and the stator, but still no spark. It is a kickstart engine, and when I hook my volt meter up to the red/black power wire, I don稚 get any volts, how do I fix this problem?

Old 07-17-2023, 02:05 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 339 Likes on 330 Posts

Check your stator is earthed properly. Someone on here noticed you can get it wrong, no idea how. Some power coils for ignition are two wire anyway, so not earthed. If your power coil isn't producing volts (AC don't forget), try refitting the old stator, if the new wiring is compatible with it.

Old 07-17-2023, 02:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merryman
Check your stator is earthed properly. Someone on here noticed you can get it wrong, no idea how. Some power coils for ignition are two wire anyway, so not earthed. If your power coil isn't producing volts (AC don't forget), try refitting the old stator, if the new wiring is compatible with it.

Thankyou so much for replying, and trying to help with this problem, your efforts are greatly appreciated. However, this was an old engine I found and it did not have a stator on it when I picked it up, I do however have the same engine mounted on a pit bike, so I was able to look and see what type of stator it takes. The new stator has an extra ground wire that was just floating, it was not connected to anything, is it possible I need to connect it in order to get spark?

Old 07-18-2023, 02:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 339 Likes on 330 Posts

Yes, though are you sure it is a ground in the normal sense? As I wrote above some "power coils" lead both wires to the CDI, as do some trigger coils, though, if your CDI is not set up for this, I guess earthing one side would work.