Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

How about a Sport/Ute?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 10:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How about a Sport/Ute?

Ok, after being out of the ATV market for 15 years, my daughter is finally old enough and wants a quad...so I'll be picking up a 90cc for her. (Any stand out above the rest?)

Of course, her Dad will need one to keep up with her and make sure she stays safe. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Here's what I'm looking for:

4x4 (Ideally that could be engaged/disengaged)
Winch
Able to tow/drag stuff around the property.
Agile enough that I don't feel like I'm driving a Jeep
Corners decent so that I can kick the *** end out a little bit.
Able to get the front end off the ground, etc.
Doesn't have to be crazy fast...but real quick and torquey would be nice
It would be nice if I could put a rear seat on it and bring the wife along (not sure if they make them for all racks or what.)
Reliability/Durability a must.

Ideally, I'd also like a clutch and a shifter...but it appears that they don't make 'em like this anymore...wonder why? Are the automatics less reliable?

I'm in FL, so it will be mostly trail riding, sand, mud.

I'll be buying new, and budget doesn't really matter. Thanks in advance for your input!

Old 10-25-2006, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Rincon.

Old 10-25-2006, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

Why do you want 4x4?the vforce 700 may be big enough for 2up riding......way more fun IMO....you will have to go pretty big to get the front wheels up on any 4x4.....figure 660-800cc range

Old 10-25-2006, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: squeege
Why do you want 4x4?the vforce 700 may be big enough for 2up riding......way more fun IMO....you will have to go pretty big to get the front wheels up on any 4x4.....figure 660-800cc range
Well, I'd like a 4x4 because it will also be used to drag downed trees around my property etc....and if my daughter and I get into some deep mud, I'd like to know that I can get out of it.

As far as getting the front end up...I'm just thinking that if I can do that, it will be a bit more sporty/maneuverable/less like a jeep.

Thanks.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

Check out the Outlander 650 or 800, you can wheelie either 4WD and very nimble. It's marketed as a sport/rec/ute......check out my pix, I pulled the racks to make it look a bit more sporty. Trust me, you won't want any more power either.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

What raidermike67 said.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

It would be nice if I could put a rear seat on it and bring the wife along (not sure if they make them for all racks or what.)
Reliability/Durability a must.
>>>>>>>>>>

The Outlander come in a two up version as well called the MAX, it features a removable extra seat, the wheelbase is extended a little more then a standard model to provide better stability for the second rider but you can remove the second seat and replace it with a storage unit and it looks pretty similar to a standard model. Unless it is designed for a second rider it is not generally recommended to carry passengers on an ATV, most of them have warning labels all over them regarding this.

The Outlanders are made by Can Am/Sea Doo/Ski Doo/Bombardier, some names you might be familiar with, they feature the Rotax engines which are bullet proof.

Old 10-26-2006, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer

Kawasaki advertises their Brute Force as a "sport/utility" for a reason..... and their is more than enough torque in that machine to make you smile when you punch the throttle.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

My new Grizzly seems to have pretty good sport to it. I have been jumping it and racing down the trails kicking the rear end out just like you are talking about. It also has the push button 4x4 and a push button front locker for the deep stuff. The suspension lets you know that you are on a very comfy machine by soaking up all the rough stuff and the power steering makes it a dream to ride for long periods of time.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

just don't buy a quad with out shifting gears. those are for girls, and acountants!

Quick Reply: How about a Sport/Ute?