Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

How about a Sport/Ute?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How about a Sport/Ute?

Originally posted by: v2rider
The AC 650, or 700 are also excellent choices, with the speedrack, ground clearance, and a well liked 4x4 and diff lock system, you would be happy
I don't know about that. He is looking for something that leans more towards the sporty, agile side. I don't necessarily think AC products fit that bill.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[i]Originally posted by: Scooter86[/iFinally, atv scene dot you know what had a great review with video of the 650 Brute Force w/ IRS not that long ago. You should check that out.
Very cool. Thanks for the head's up.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Scooter86
Originally posted by: v2rider
The AC 650, or 700 are also excellent choices, with the speedrack, ground clearance, and a well liked 4x4 and diff lock system, you would be happy
I don't know about that. He is looking for something that leans more towards the sporty, agile side. I don't necessarily think AC products fit that bill.
<<<<<<<<<<<<&l t;<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<&l t;<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<

Oh, my bad. Well, if your ever an avid hunter, outdoorsman, or need a work machine, look at AC[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

Not telling you to buy any certain quad but I will make a point. This is a great site but the Rincon is absolutely hated here. In all fairness it should be one of your considerations just like the KQ 700, Outty 650 & 800, BF 650i, & Grizz 700. The Rincon is known for great handling and control with plenty of power. Many have said that it is the best big bore for ripping through the trails at a fast pace. Also, notice I said plenty of power, not the most. To me, 680cc's is plenty. As you do your homework, I would add 2 items to your list. #1, go back to atvscene.com and read Lance's review article on the '06 Rincon (he races a Rincon and his article on the BF 650i was well done too, just to add that he isn't just about Rincons!) #2, talk to the guys at rinconriders.com for a more truthful review for what should be, one of your considerations.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

The Rincon would be a much more respectable big bore ute if it had the following items:

I like the way it looks and the engine seems powerful and solid (since FI was added). From everything I've read about it, the handling is outstanding.

Honda has all the parts to make a killer quad but they can't quite seem to get them all in 1 complete package. I would buy a Honda Rubicon long before a Rincon. Oh, I just did! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-30-2006, 06:47 AM
            Extreme Pro Rider
            Knows Old ATV Questions!

The Rincon is a great quad that could be truely outstanding if it had a low range and a locker. Will it pull downed trees around and such? I doubt the issue would be power but more a lack of gearing. Still it might be worth a look, but I didn't mention it originally for the reasons JDQuadrider gave.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:02 AM
            Pro Rider

I agree with both of you but it depends on what he'll use it for primarily. If it's mostly trail riding and some work then I think the Rincon should be right up there as one of the top choices. If it is more work than I'd stick with a Rubicon or another brand altogether.

A front locker doesn't matter to me (some people it is a must, it just isn't for me) and neither does the engine braking. The lack of engine braking makes the Rincon a better ride the high majority of the time and when going downhill the brakes are outstanding. Also, the 3 speeds could be 4 but ESP mode makes it fun to drive and control the shifting. Arguably, the handling, suspension (IRS), and new speed with the 680, make the Rincon one of the fastest ute atv's on the trails.

...should be a top competitor if it is trails first, work second.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:50 PM
            Pro Rider

I just don't get the "no low range" argument. You guys act like you have to push start a Rincon. This site would be so much better if people would not make comments about a quad that they have not owned or spent considerable time on (not a dealer parking lot). I can hook my Rincon up to a tree and put it in gear and spin all 4 tires with just a touch of the throttle. If it was geared to high, I could not do this. It does not bog down at all.

As far as engine braking, it works. No, it will not slow you down to 4 mph, but I just spent a weekend at Windrock with my sons Polaris 600. It broke down on the mountain and he started to burn up his brakes coming back down a very steep winding road. I had to tie on to his rear end and control his descent with my Rincon. I was not using my brakes.

Lockers. When I finally find a situation where I need one, I will buy a Detroit Gearless Locker. I have had it up to the seat in thick mud (spun the tires with no effort-27") and just drive out.

Old 10-31-2006, 12:14 AM
            Extreme Pro Rider
            Knows Old ATV Questions!

I have seen plenty of "3 wheel drive" Hondas have to wench or get towed out of mud pits other machines pulled through with a locker. If you can't see the advantage of having a low range for pulling logs and such then nothing I will say is going to change your point of view. My thinking is for the price they are charging, I want to have at least those 2 things added on and swap out the drum brake for a disc while they are at it. Again, the Rincon is a very good quad that is worth a look. It may not be the best quad for this particular situation.

Old 10-31-2006, 12:56 AM
            Pro Rider

Low "Range" is something that all other big bore machines have to use for work or they will burn up the belt. The Rincon has gear selections. My Foreman also has gear selections. It does not have a "low range", it has 1st gear. I can pull with the Rincon just fine in 1st gear.
            As far as price, the only thing that matters is what you pay, not what MSRP is. Sure there are dealers that will charge MSRP and then there are places like volume dealers. I paid $6700 for my Rincon earlier this year. MSRP is around $7900. What did you pay?

Quick Reply: How about a Sport/Ute?