Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Needing some education

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 01:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing some education

I am totally new to atv I am 25 5'8 195 lbs looking to buy a new or used atv I am looking for a tough machine that will get me to a deer stand and maybe alittle more also it cant break the bank. so here is where I need the advice 4 x 4 or not I have talk to some people and they say no some say cant live without it, auto or manual, and is 250 too small I am a gun guy mostly and I wonder if the 450 500 600 750 are like magnums on rifles just more than you need. I have only looked at 2-3 atv the one I liked best was a honda recon 250. let me know what is dependable and affordable

Old 12-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what you are asking it to do the Recon will work fine. A 250 class utility will get an adult out on the trails to your tree stand and can haul a deer back out of the woods. You can also get some good plain fun trail riding in. We have a 250 class (Ozark) and I'll ride it sometimes just for the fun of it, even though it's a little small for my 6'-2".

You can go bigger and faster and yes, many of these quads will be better. 4WD is nice to have but not necessary and it will always add to the cost. I think I'd look for a used Recon or Ozark - should be able to find a 2 to 3 year old one in good shape for somewhere around $2K.

Jaybee

Old 12-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

The 4x4 or not question is a big one that ends up being more about who you are as a person, and less about what you NEED to get by. .........

If you want to go fast, bang gears, hit jumps and rail berms than a 2wd sport machine is the only way to go. But if you want to blaze trails and mud-bog and crawl rocks the 4x4 is the way to go......

Some people base it on what their friends are riding, or where they are going to be riding the majority of the time. If all your buddies are riding 4x4s and are going places where no one has gone before you might consider something like a Honda Foreman.

If you want something 4x4 but still a big sporty the Polaris Scrambler or the Yamaha Wolverine are really the only options right now. Although some consider the smaller Hondas like the Recon or Rincon to be just as sporty as the Scrambler.

It really comes down to what type of riding you like better. I personally only use my 4x4 for work, or just going for a quick ride. If I'm going to suit up and go out for any amount of time it is always my sport machine. But I don't really get into mud-bogging or rock crawling, and most of my trail blazing is done to add sections to our XC track.

The two machines require two totally different types of riding. Obstacles have to be approached in two totally different ways. A 4x4 is made to power up and over things with torque and smoothness. A 2wd sport machine requires speed and finesse and sometimes a good amount of cajones tossed in there. A rough section on a sport machine requires you to "hit" an obstacle with more speed and momentum.

Of the two a sport machine is much more of a workout. The power delivery of a sport machine requires that you hold on tighter, and the general type of riding such as jumps and whoops force you to stand up a lot more and this takes a toll on the body. (more for us 30-somethings and up)

But either way you go just make sure you buy something that you will have the most fun with.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

I like the Honda Rancher. If you are on a budget, you should be able to get a 350 for a reasonable price. (The current production Rancher is a 420 with fuel injection and water cooled, etc., but still has a reasonable price tag!) It's a simple, dead solid reliable machine with a manual transmission. It is medium size and big enough to get the job done, but isn't the heavy hulking beast that all the big bore monsters have become............

If you don't have snow and mud, then you might be able to get away with a 2wd. But, it would be a bummer to buy a 2wd, and get out there and discover that you should have gotten a 4X4. You need to analyze your riding conditions carefully!

Old 12-29-2006, 12:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you are going to use the unit for hunting and such, something like a Recon or any of the other 250 class utes will work great. I used something similar for years to do the same thing, and there is plenty of power to pack out game and equipment. 4x4 is great for the deep mud, snow, and really big or technical hillclimbs, but you will be surprised at what the smaller 2wd utes can conquer. About the only drawback to them is rack capacity and physical size. You may want to look at something with more capacity if you want to pack heavy. Auto vs manual really all comes down to personal preference. Most of the smaller utes are still shifters, that can be a good thing.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Range Rover

i have both a 4x4 and a 4x2 utility 4 wheelers. and i have to tell you a 4x4 is the way to go. it is no different that the 4x2 until you need it. 4x4 4 wheelers are a god send. they totaly change the way you can off road.night and day between riding a 4x2. the thing they do and the placines you can go are unbelievable. you will be pist off on a 4x2 if you ever have ridden a 4x4.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Originally posted by: reconranger
I like the Honda Rancher. If you are on a budget, you should be able to get a 350 for a reasonable price. (The current production Rancher is a 420 with fuel injection and water cooled, etc., but still has a reasonable price tag!) It's a simple, dead solid reliable machine with a manual transmission. It is medium size and big enough to get the job done, but isn't the heavy hulking beast that all the big bore monsters have become............

If you don't have snow and mud, then you might be able to get away with a 2wd. But, it would be a bummer to buy a 2wd, and get out there and discover that you should have gotten a 4X4. You need to analyze your riding conditions carefully!
Right on, I bought my 2000 Rancher 4x4 for $1800 just last April. Sure it needs front brakes, has bald tires, and a small crack in the plastic, but it runs like champ. And they are a bit smaller than the big 4x4, you can fit one in a short-box pickup with the gate closed. They are also light by comparison as reconranger said and you can usually find them for sale at a reasonable price.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

I'd get a Yamaha Kodiak (Grizzly) 450. Plenty of features for the hunter in a nice, small, solid package. It won't beat you up on your way to the deer stand either.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Trailblazer

it all matters on weare you go huting like i go in new hamshier and its rell rocke and mud up hear a 4x4 is a good idea if its not relly rocke the a 2x4 well be great i had a 2001 honda reson its a lot of fun it has great power for a small atv and went ine wear i wont to but it dose get stuck more the my 4x4

Old 01-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I guess i could get in on this, and say Arctic Cat has an excellent choice also. You should ride a few different ones, and find out what feels good to you

Quick Reply: Needing some education