Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Help a noob navigate these possibilities

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a noob navigate these possibilities

I've been look at utility quads for my first ATV purchase. I've learned a lot browsing the forum but now I need a little help. This ATV will be primarily for trail/desert riding with possible work use in the future. Going out, the only thing I was really looking for was a ute model, 4x4, in the 300-500cc range. Also, I was looking at some '06s in hopes of saving a few bucks. Here's what I've found so far, please feel free to comment on any of these possibilities. I look forward to your remarks on prices, choice of bikes, etc.

New '06 Suzuki Vinson 500, 4x4, 5 speed. MSRP 6199, their "clearance"price 5499. What is a good target for an OTD price on this model?

New '06 Honda Rancher 350 ES, 4x4. OTD for 4500. Sounds pretty decent to me, am I missing something?

New '07 Kawasaki Prairie 360 4x4. "Current" offer is 5100 OTD. I think they will still deal some more on this one. This dealer seemed to want to "earn my business" more than the other two places. Again, where should my target be on this one?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

The reason the Rancher is cheap is because Honda has changed it for 07 so they will be wanting to move the older models, the old ranncher were great bikes but if I were you I would give the new 420 Rancher a look it will not be much more than the 350 and it has many new features wich make it a much better bike. Personally I like Hondas imho I believe they are the toughest most durable bikes on the market. If you are leaning more towards a 500 give the forman a look. Good luck, and good to have you at atv conn.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the tips. I'm really trying to stay within my budget which is why I'm looking at these three bikes in particular. The Suzuki is probably out of the question unless they get more motivated to get it off the floor. The Honda shop I went to had plenty of '07 Ranchers but of course they weren't dealing as much on those. The Kawasaki dealer thought I was pulling his leg on the price of the '06 Rancher. I'm still giving the Kawasaki salesman a chance to make a better offer, mostly because of how great they treated me, but unless they come in way under 4500 OTD I'll probably get the Rancher.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Trailblazer

if i were you l would look for a leftover brute force 650, suprisingly it should fit within your budget and it would be all the atv you would need.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A leftover Rancher 350 should be going for something like $4,000, and that should be OTD.

If you can swing it, the Rancher 420 is a real peach!

Old 02-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

How much more (than the '06 350) should I expect to pay for the 420? Sorry about all the questions but this is my first quad and I want to do the best I can.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

Ask all you want thats how you learn. But in the South the new Rancher lists for $4883 for ES and $4733 foot shift. But these prices are from a high volumne (I know I spelled that wrong) dealer. I would imagine around the low $5000 OTD from other dealers. But thats only a speculation.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

That's one of the downfalls of living in a place like this. There are plenty of people year-round willing to pay what a lot of dealers are asking so they aren't always motivated to deal. Hopefully, if I'm patient I'll find something good. One Honda dealer, maybe 10 miles from the place that quoted $4500 OTD wouldn't even discuss matching prices. They said their price was $5000 OTD for the same ATV (the '06 Rancher) and I could basically take it or leave it.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

I had to pay MSRP for my 420, because being a new model nobody is going to cut you a deal. Plus we have tax and they rip you off with "transportation" and "steup" fees. I talked them down some, but there isn't much you can do. Quads really sell here and the economy is booming, so if you don't buy it somebody else will....they aren't much motivated to cut you a deal.

But, I could have gotten a loftover 06 ES (didn't want ES anyway) for $4,000 OTD. Glad I didn't! The 420 is so so much better!

Old 02-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

I am going to speak only about the 3 atv's you mentioned.

First, the rancher 350, this is an entry level 4x4 quad and has about the most dated technology in the industry. It has a solid rear axle, 4x4 WITHOUT a diff lock, drum brakes. It is air cooled and will almost run forever. It is only available in a manual tranny or (ES) electric shift, does not have fully auto tranny, and NO low range.

Next, the Vinson, this is one of the fastest 500cc utes made. It too has a solid rear axle, NO diff lock, but does have disk brakes and available auto transmission, or manual with high and low range. Suposedly, this is the last year of the vinson.

Lastly, the kawasaki 360. It has a diff lock, disk brakes, fully auto tranny, high and low range. It also has a solid rear axle. It has 362cc vs the ranchers 329cc. It is rated to tow 1100 lbs, that's close to the big boys! It offers more features than the other two as you can see.

So, based on the three you mentioned I would suggest the prairie 360, as it has more features than the others. If you are ipen to other choices I can suggest more, but i am going to leave it to the ones you stated of interest.

Quick Reply: Help a noob navigate these possibilities