Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Opinions needed on a couple of used bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions needed on a couple of used bikes

The more people I talk to about buying a quad the more I think about going a little bigger than the 350/360s I was looking at. However, to stay within my budget I need to look at used. I'm also thinking that liquid cooling will be a big plus around here in the summer when it's 110+ for two months solid. Anyway...on to the bikes. Both are from the same seller so if I go looking I can compare them side by side.

'03 Suzuki Vinson 500, 4x4 auto. 1600 miles, asking $3800

'04 Yamaha Grizzly 660, 4x4 auto. 1300 miles, asking $4800

Obviously, the Vinson is appealing for it's price, however do the bigger engine and such on the Grizzly make it worth the extra grand? I'm probably leaning more toward the Vinson since I really think 500 is big enough and I could use the extra money for helmets, ramps, gas, ...etc. Is there anything to pay particular attention to on either ATV? I haven't been able to find much in the way of problems on either model, anyone know of any?

Also, I assume the prices are negotiable. I'm not trying to get a steal but I don't want to overpay either. What's a reasonable price on either?

EDIT...I also found an '05 Honda Foreman 4x4 ES listed for $3999, ad says "low hours", haven't been able to contact seller yet.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bragged on the Vinson on your other post so thats where my vote goes. I did however get to ride a 660 Grizzly about 40 miles the other weekend. Some gravel roads some rocky, rutted trails. The Grizzly had a good ride, pretty soft and had good power too. But after just a little ways on the trails my arms were tired. The steering on THIS one left alot to be desired. Maybe it was the tire and rim combo. But the steering just beat me to death. Also this one was burning oil. I haven't really heard of this kind of problem and it could have been from poor maintenance or lack there of.
But since both are used you can test ride them. Try to ride somewhere other than down the road.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Noob riders tend to overestimate how much machine they will need to conquer the terrain, and that can work against you.

In your previous post and in this one, you don't say exactly where you are going to ride....that will make all the difference! Mostly low desert??? You going to go to the mountains now and then??? Snow riding in Flagstaff???? Hunting??? Trips to Utah and Colorado??? The dunes??? Etc.????

In general, a utility isn't the hot setup for riding the desert! The tactic is to use the great suspension and light weight/power advantage of a sport quad to float along on top and fly up nasty stuff, rather than trying to grapple for traction on a big heavy utility. Are you aware that the average sport quad is 200-400 pounds lighter than the average ute!

On the other hand, if you are going to go deliberately looking for terrifying terrain, then maybe you genuinely need a ute. If so, do you need IRS, towing capacity, etc. All these things need to be considered, but you haven't really given us enough information about your riding conditions..........

My personal motto is to never ride a ute anywhere I can ride a sport quad! I can get by on a sport 95% of the time, and I do have a utility for the other 5%......but would I want a ute for my ONLY ride.....no thanks.....not even on the superb little Rancher 420!

Maybe think about a 400EX or Z400???? And utes are more complex, and therefore more expensive........and you are on a budget!

Old 02-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

You have compared two bikes that really shouldn't be. The grizz offers alot more than just 167 more cc's over the vinson. It has IRS, diff lock, more ground clearence, and alot more suspension travel. If i had the extra $1k I'd definetely buy the grizz. If you buy the less expensive vinson, you'll regret it later. Although the vinson is a great machine, it's more in line with the kodiak 450, not the grizz. Also, the grizz is 1yr newer, and should be gotten for less than $4800. As for used vs new. It's your perogative as it's a gamble. Who knows where the dice will land. Both machines have a reputation for running a long time and virtually maintenence free, you never know!!!

Old 02-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Red Rider

Also, tell us what size and weight the riders will be. That is very important as well!

Old 02-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, I'll try to help clear a few things up. I'm 5'9", about 215. I will be riding mostly on desert trails, not a lot of really loose, sandy stuff but more harder ground. I also like having the option of taking on snow or more challenging areas. I agree that neither a ute, nor 4x4, is probably required in most of these areas. However, I really like the ability of a ute to carry stuff on board. I will be taking it target shooting so that means packing a few guns, hundreds of rounds of ammo, food/drinks, and other supplies. I did start off thinking about smaller bikes (Rancher 350/Bruin 350/Prairie 360) but I didn't want to regret not getting a bigger machine later. And, a lot of local folks highly recommend a liquid cooled engine for our long summers.

Plus, I'm 38 and feel like the ute style fits me better. If I were buying a motorcycle it would be a cruiser instead of a crotch rocket.

Another reason for looking at utes is I'll be heading back east for good (TN, NC, or VA areas) in a couple years. Once I'm there I can see a lot of woods, maybe some hunting, and most likely some work use. Also, the budget is self-imposed so I can negotiate with myself on that. I set a target for myself of around 5 grand to get this quad. I want to buy my son a sport ATV later this year and of course there's all the normal family, truck, house, kids, and dog expenses.

Hope this helps, I appreciate your opinions and input.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Red Rider

So in a sense, you are ultimately looking for a quad that is adapted to eastern trails, not the arid southwest.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

reconranger,

That's a good way to put it. This weekend I plan to look at the aforementioned Vinson and an '03 Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4. The Griz is at the same house as the Vinson, and I'll check it out too, but I think it might be too much bike for me.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

Too much bike??? Trust me, you'll want more and more and more as you get into the sport. Spend a little extra now and you'll save it in the long run. I have never meet anyone that settled for something less, becuase they felt it meet their needs, and didn't end up regreting it months later. I been there done that! I've been in the sport of quads for over 20 years. I've owned every named brand out there. Trust me, there's no such thing as too much when you're a grown man!

Old 02-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Red Rider

Get back to me when you are ready to get the kid a sport quad! Don't ever ride it though....you will realize what you missed!

Quick Reply: Opinions needed on a couple of used bikes