CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Outlander 400 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlander 400 4X4

Does anyone have any experience with the outlander 400 4x4? I am interested in getting another quad. I am leaning towards the AC 400i/500i. I like the features on the outlander but wanted some feed back of what people think.

Old 12-18-2002, 10:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider

i think bombardier is in the underdog position, and everything they make has to be a little different, but at the same time very well thought out. based on what i've seen in there other quads i would buy it. actually thinking the 330 for just a snow woods machine. i know some of there stuff looks different, but when you stop and think about it it might be a better mouse trap, the quest and traxter come to mind. the look is odd but when you think it is a machine to work with it makes a lot of sence. and the thought in power train are good. to compare them to proformance machines isn't very fair.

Old 12-20-2002, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

I trhink they are a good machine too. That is why I am considering buying one. I was just wanting some impressions on what others have thought about them.

Thanks,

Old 12-21-2002, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

Well if you read the same magazine articles as i did on it, you would have heard that they loved it!!! This is the first quad that the magazines really raved about built by Bomb. Infact they taled more positive about it than they did the imortal Honda's new 650. They even said they felt the 400 would and in another it did beat a Polaris 500 HO in every drag race, so it has the power. Both magazines i have say they feel it has set the new standerd in it's class. Keep in mind these are the same fools that IMHO pretty well dislike Bombardier products, I mean comeone, rating the baddest 4 stroke dune machine on the planet and has been proved so several times, 3rd or 4th against the weakest 400's out there???? That should say just how good the Outlander is!!! I would buy one without hesitation if I could.

Old 12-23-2002, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

Demon DS,
I have read the articles. It is after reading the articles that really impresses me about the outlander. I am familiar with the rotax motor so I know it is realiable and powerful. Here are a couple of things which concern me, about the Outlander, that the articles didn't address.
First, the front rack. From the pictures it doesn't look like much of a rack at all. I need a front rack because I do spend a lot of time on the trail riding for several days. So how does the front rack hold up and can I put things on it without them falling off?
Second, The 4X4 system. The articles I read really didn't say much about their 4X4 system. If I am mudding or in the snow does all four wheels spin or is it a 3 wheel 4WD system?
Third, is the rear mounted Gas tank. If I am on a full tank of gas and heading up a steep hill does the front end become extremely light because of the weight of the gas is at the rear end of the quad?
Fourth, The articles I read didn't say much about the ergonomics of the machine either. Is it comfortable to sit on and ride for hours?
Fifth, I stopped at a dealer in Richfield yesterday and inquired about the Outlander. The salesman told me that they would not be getting any in because the Bombardiers don't sale. This does concern me if I try to sale it later am I going to have to give it away?

Old 12-23-2002, 05:45 PM
Range Rover

ttaylor,

regarding the outlander, the front racks, though different, are designed to accept all typical front rack accessories (ie, rack bags & dry boxes) - there are tie downs as required to use these accessories. Bombardier is also now offering (check it out on their website) front/rear rack extentions and rack bags.

As for the 4x4 system, the Outlander uses the same Visco-Lok system as utilized by the Quest and Traxter. This arguably the best "true" 4x4 system available (no three wheel spin with the Visco-Lok). The Outlander has the added benefit of a 2wd/4wd switch to disengage the front differential when you want a sportier ride.

The inboard front/rear brakes on the Outlander are a really amazing innovation, as is the IRS system - you have to see and feel both to appreciate them. The front radiator is mounted very high in the front shroud, allowing for both excellent protection (though not as good as the rear mounted rad on the Quest and Traxter) and easy winch installation.

As you indicated, the gas tank is located towards the rear of the frame, but the weight distribution (of a loaded quad) is still close to 50/50. The ergonomics are excellent, with comfortable and logical placement and layout of all controls. The instrument cluster is very visable, though does not offer all the digital features of some quads.

There wasn't much I didn't like about the Outlander, though the stock tires are crap and I would replace them before buying one. Also, I would be interested in seeing what the Outlander XT will look like - as good as the Outlander looks, I think it would look better with some heavy duty XT style bumpers.

Cheers,

Old 12-24-2002, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer

This machine sounds almost too good to be true. I'm sick of getting ejected off of my Rancher when the going gets tough (solid rear axles suck). Has anyone heard if the 592 pound weight rating is correct as it shows on the website? Bombardier said in ATV action that the machine would be 140 pounds lighter than the Polaris 400, but my buddies 400 weighs in at 702. That would mean the Bomb should be around 564 lbs. Reguardless, I will own one if it is anywhere close to as good as it sounds.

Old 12-24-2002, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

Canadian Viking,
Was there anything that you don't like about the Outlander other than the tires? I agree, the tires look like the dunlops found on most other utility quads. If they are then they really are junk. Thanks, for the information. Now if I can find a local dealer that has one so I can take it for a ride!!!

Idahoatver,
HAHAHA, Your the first Honda owner that I know of that realizes what the rest of the world realized a few years ago; that short suspension travel tied to a solid swingarm & axle suck when you get in rough terrain. From what I have been able to read the Outlander is an awesome machine. I am just having a hard time finding one locally to take for a test ride. Currently I am trying to decide between the Bombardier, Polaris, or Arctic Cat. I love my cat, my dad owns two sportsmans which have run flawless, Now I just want to know more about the Bombardier to see if it is as good or better than the cat and sportsmans.

Old 12-27-2002, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer

ttaylor,

I have done a ton of reading also, and the Bombardier looks to be the best in the 400 class. I have a subscription to ATVaction magazine, and can't wait for the next 400 class shootout. They seem to be about the most unbiased mag out there so I look forward to any kind of test report on the Bomb.