Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Non running 500,,,carb question, help??

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non running 500,,,carb question, help??

Hello all, this is a first time post, I have a 2000 arctic cat 500 4x4 auto, it has a keine? carb on it,,it has sat most of the winter, I had to put a new front bearings and shaft in, for a while it was tilted up, with the front end in the air to get access to the front drive, I got the front end together and went to start, it will not start, checked flow of gas from tank to the carb great flow, and checked spark, have great spark, but will not start, I pulled plug a few times and it has no wetness on it, every once in a while it sputters a short burst like it wants to start, but then nothing for a while. I found what I believe to be a "primer"tab on teh right side of teh carb, I pumped that and still nothing,,any ides, other than a carb rebuild, is there a float that may have stuck on this ? and is it an easy fix to rebuild, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I use this 4 wheeler for up in the woods during sugaring season, and cutting firewood, checking cow fences and what not, thanks in advance Pat from NY

Old 03-28-2004, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

check your air filter for gas on it having the front end up in the air could have drained gas back to the air filter

Old 03-28-2004, 05:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If the gas is over two months old, and you didnt put stabil in it , while it was fresh, it could be your problem.
Most likely, the pilot jet is plugged up, with dried gas. It has a very tiny hole, and it doesnt take much to plug it. Try to start it, with the throttle at 1/4 open. This uses the needle circuit, instead of the pilot circuit. If it starts and runs @ 1/4 throttle, but when you let go of the throotle, and it dies....its a plugged pilot jet.
Heres an article that might help you.
carb clean
Most likly, the carb will need to have the jet removed to clean it good. Just loosen the clamps on each end of the carb, spin it around, so you can see the bottom, remove the jets and clean them good. and clean the float bowl good too.
let us know how it goes.

Old 03-28-2004, 11:02 PM
Cub
Trailblazer

a quick fix is to take the air cleaner off and have someone press the start button while you spray a small bit of carb cleaner into the carb. I have used this trick to get many of old wheelers started after they sat for a while. Dont spray too much into the carb at a time though as it can ruin the spark plug. sometimes pumping the throttle while spraying the carb cleaner and trying to start works too.

Old 03-29-2004, 02:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Try a new spark plug. It could be fouled even with spark outside cylinder. The same thing happened to me 7 miles back in the woods. Had gas, spark put wouldn't start. After being towed out, a guy gave me a new plug. Put it in and it fired right up. Has happened several times since.

Old 03-29-2004, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

Definitely try a new spark plug. My 500i did exactly the same thing - spluttered and choked, but just wouldn't start. Old plug looked fine, and I could see a spark when I cranked it over with the plug out and grounded, but when I changed it out and put in a new one, kitty roared back to life.

That is a primer tab on the carb, by the way.