Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

FRONT DIFF PROBLEM AC 650?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 12:18 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FRONT DIFF PROBLEM AC 650?

hi guys, i was wondering if anyone else was having diff problems, when i flip the lever to lock my diff sometimes it locks and sometimes it doesnt, when it does lock, it works fine, also when i flip the lever to unlock,it doesnt come out i have to back up 3-5 feet before it disenguages? ive always come to a complete stop to lock and unlock the diff,i also checked the cable adjustment to see if there was slack in it. i would appreciate some info if anyone has some[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2004, 01:01 AM
Trailblazer

Not sure but I think this is normal, mine acts the same.
if it's in a bind it may be slow to engage or disengage.

Old 04-01-2004, 11:20 AM
Range Rover

well i usally lock the diff a few feet before i enter a mud hole to insure its lockeded, the only way i can tell is by the feel of the bars not wanting to turn, reminds me of a old dodge powerwagon.lol but every once and a while it feels like it enguaged without flippin the lever? ive heard a couple of noises from the front end almost like a dry cv joint on a car taking a corner, you know that snapping noise? thats what has me puzzled , i put it on jack stands and spun the front wheels by hand to listen for noises, but couldnt hear anything out of the ordinary? this is my first 4x4 quad, i just got out of dragracing after 15 yrs. well i hope if something is wrong warrenty should cover it,i hope? i asked my dealer about doing mods to it they dont seem to mind they are going to be stocking the HL POWER PACK im just hoping that it wont be down long

Old 04-02-2004, 01:34 AM
Trailblazer

Did you take in the shop to have them check out the front diff?

sorry to get off subject line! but I installed the P700 Primary spring and noticed a 7 mph drop in top speed?
is that something you noticed as well?

Old 04-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've have two 650's. The first one would not engage the front diff on a snow trip (we adjusted the cable at the diff). The second bike would not engage during another snow trip, I did not look at during the trip but checked it out once we were home (it worked just fine at home). Don't know what to do and will wait for another incident.
The diffs will not disengage as long is there is load on the gears. You need to get the steering straight and the load between both tires to stabilize before the locking diff will let go. In normal riding this may take only a moment or it might go for a ways depending on your terrain that you are riding in.

Old 04-03-2004, 10:28 AM
Range Rover

as far as the p700 primary spring i didnt loose mph , i did loose 5-7 mph when i changed to the epi red secondary spring , as far as my diff there is some problems i drained the diff and found alot of metal filings stuck to the magnetic drain plug, so off to the dealer is goes,most people tell me its because of the 28 in tires, but im not real aggressive with the machine, if i was i should have broken an axle with the diff locked by now