Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Does your hyd. brake master cyl. leave your brake light on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does your hyd. brake master cyl. leave your brake light on?

I talked to he dealer again yesterday. He suggested I remove the hand brake, install a screw where the brake handle makes contact with the piston rod (master cylinder push rod). That would make up the difference and turn off the light but that's not going to solve the problem with the master cylinder not returning to open possition. I asked if there is a method of teardown and rebuilding the master cylinder? He said, "No. Just replace it but you're the first I've heard of to replace one." My dealer's in Ohio and sells to farmers exclusively. No wonder! They don't put the quads through the torture we do in trail riding and hard braking.
I asked the dealer to order me another master cylinder. I'm gonna try to break this one (the existing unit) down and see what makes it work/not work.
Chuck

Old 08-18-2004, 04:17 PM
Trailblazer

Anyone know if the master cylinders off the '04's and above will bolt on? A dealer I talked to said that it wouldn't. I can't see why not. The brake line fitting looks the same. (maybe not).

Anyone out there try it yet?

Old 08-19-2004, 10:41 PM
Range Rover

Yes, it will bolt on but you will have to do a little splicing to get the brake lights to work as the switch styles are different. What I did with my Outlaw master cyl. is threw it in the garbage and replaced it with a Wilwood one. You can tell the difference between the two by the color of them- the Outlaw ones are black, the Wilwood ones are clear. The new one (gray) is made by Hayes. I think the Wilwood ones go for around 100 bux new. I got a used one off a sled (no difference) and just swapped out my lever and it works great. If your looking for a new one you can either ask them for a master cyl. off a 1996 to 2000 (any model) or for one off a 2003 (any model). I hope this helps....