Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic Cat Reliability

Arctic Cat must be reliable because I don't see too many posts about various problems. A few here and there and that's it.

I still haven't decided between the AC and the sportsman 500. I haven't had the chance to ride the AC yet. I'm concerned about the steering ease.

I am thinking about the 500 over the 650. I don't need all the acceleration of the high HP engine. Been there done that (see signature). The question I have is whether the 500 has adequate power to tow logs and trailers around. If any of you 500 guys could tell me that would be appreciated.

The magazines try to make you thinks that you have to wrestle the AC down a trail and would be exhausted at the end of the day. What's the truth?

The polaris forum seems to report more problems. Yes, I know, polaris sells more units and there are more posts in that forum. The ratio of problems with AC quads seems MUCH lower though.

Thanks.

Old 09-20-2004, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

i own my first artic cat . its a 05 650. i was very unsure in making my decision because of the somewhat negative feedback from certain atv magazines.the steering issue was also one of my concerns.and the handling was too. for some reason the magazines underate and overcriticise artic cat atvs.i bought an artic cat anyway after input from these forums.im very satisfied with it.and found that the steering wasnt like they claimed it to be.i owned previously a kawi prairie 650 , three different honda 4x4,s and a grizzly 600.i didnt notice the drastic difference in steering effort.the ac turns a liitle wider but not major amounts.the more i ride the cat the more i like it .i think you will be fine with the 500.how heavy a trailer you towing ?.about.and how heavy the logs you pulling?

Old 09-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AC has very reliable machines. They use suzuki engines and the atvs themselves are well built. The 650 problems have a lot to do with the kawasaki prairie 650 transmission and belt. Kawasaki fixed these problems for the Prairie 700, but AC is still getting the old stuff.

The AC would be a much bettter choice IMO than the sp. The suspension is better, power is great, and the machines are more reliable on the whole. The four wheel drive is a much better system. You also have the option (i believe they still offer it) to have an auto clutch manual if you dont want to run a belt.

Old 09-20-2004, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys.

Spikeland,
I won't be working with it regularly, just once in a while. I also had a 650 prairie. I would love to hear more about the ride differences between the AC and the Grizz or other quads you have owned.

Would you say the steering is easy enough and the quad isn't as much as a handful and the magazines say.

Thanks.

Old 09-21-2004, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

hey jeff i live on a farm and had 2 500's previous to my 650 and that thing could pull a ton and the good duramatic tranny with a suzuki motor never have to worry bout the belt slipping unless ya get it wet but that is with anything the arctic cats are very underrated in many categories BUT they always make them out to be a workhorse for a farm and stuff which is where they are very good but the handling isn't bad on them either i drive very aggressively down trails and stuff and i am usually in the lead my uncle has a 04 400i and he lets his 7 y o son tool around with it in the yard in low range real slow and he drives it around for hours without tiring from the steering i dunno why they keep hammering on arctic cats steering and handling but the sportsman 500 ho does have more power but i do firmly believe that the ac can outpull it but then again the sportsman weighs about 50 pounds more then the ac

Old 09-21-2004, 03:50 PM
Trailblazer

I have an 03 AC500 4x4 auto and love it. There isn't a big deal about handling to me, but it does take more effort than the Yama Bear Trcker 2 wheel drive I also run. The only thing I get tired from is waiting for the rest of them to catch up.

Old 09-21-2004, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

hey jeff the steering on the artic cat doesnt feel different then the prairie in terms of effort.if there is a difference its not very much.and the major difference to me from the prairie to the artic cat is its sits alot higher than the prairie.thats not a bad thing though it does take a little getting used to ar adjusting to.but ill tell you what.i wouldnt go back to the prairie if i had the choice.not that there was any thing wrong with the prairie.but after adjusting to the artic cat its really a nice machine.though the stock tires suck but that can be easily changed.

Old 09-21-2004, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

sorry editing mistake

Old 09-21-2004, 10:58 PM
Range Rover

I have no problem with the steering or handling of my 650 AC. The turning radius isn't the best in its class but it is not as bad as it is made out to be. My 8 yo cousin rides mine in the fields, my wife loves it, and so do the rest of my family who rides. I think it is a great machine. I haven't had any problems with the belt either. Even when the bike is in water up to the racks.

Old 09-22-2004, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

I have Polaris, Honda and ArcticCat. All are ready to ride. For higher speed and more aggresive trail riding I choose the Polaris as it is faster. But for more practicle every day use dragging the trailers around the yard and more casual 2up trail rides - the AC has my vote. It is geared lower so it doesn't have the top end speed but is torgued to the max. I just put Highlifter heavy duty springs on the AC and it raised the quad hitch 4 inches. I would estimate the tongue weight to be well over 200 pounds. Steering is easier than any of the other quads and I don't know where the mags get their information from. Maybe they should quit buying product evaluations off of Ebay.

I don't know anything about the 2005 machines and/or if any of the drive train has changed. Someone else may comment on that.

Long story short - whether mountain, forest, swamp or trail - the first choice is normally the AC. Go fast testosterone challanges - the Polaris hasn't failed me yet. oops - I did blow a belt after my nephew smoked the snot out of it.. not bad for a 01 500HO.

Good luck -

Quick Reply: Arctic Cat Reliability