Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Performance kit and speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2000, 10:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, now there is a guy here that has both a Sp500 and an AC and both are modified. His AC has the Supertrap and K&N and he says that it will outrun the modified Sp500 in both acceleration as well as top speed.

Does anyone else have the Highlifter performance kit on theirs and have you noticed any increase in top speed? Mine goes 51, 52 on a good day. Its a long way to go to get near 60, and I never thought that a pipe and filter would ever give you that much increase. Thus, the reason I want the HO Sportsman. Every time I get the urge to trade for a sportsman, I always back out because I get enough feedback saying that the difference isn't worth the cash. If I put a Supertrapp and the other crap on my AC500, am I going to see any increase in top speed or not? I never really thought so. Not anything big at least.

What do you think?

Old 08-28-2000, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

Andy:
Did Scotto get some numbers on speed ratings with his 'Cat? Course it could be a slight bit off with his running 28" Outlaws, and your 27" 'Claws, though I don't imagine the difference would be that much at all. He's got that equipment on his '99 doesn't he? He must anyway, that Warpony is built! What about MikeSlaby? Didn't he have the performance kit and pipe on the 'Cat at one time a while back? I can't remember exactly, but think it was him. Do you think the H.O. is worth the upgrading costs for that extra mph? Course maybe they could get you a pretty good deal with a trade in. Never know with dealers.

Good luck with the info, sorry I can't help you.
Oh, do you carry anything with you or that is mounted to your 'Cat at all that would add any extra weight? With everything I carry, plus me riding, the fastest I have ever got up to was the speedo registering about 57-58 on a downhill slope, though I don't think it was anywhere near that fast. Mine gets up and goes pretty quick, but at top end, my dad's 'Cat stock completely empty will outrun me by a few mph easy.

Mike

Old 08-29-2000, 12:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've got two kimpex bumpers and a winch on there, but the speed never really changed as I added them. I ran it with my truck once and estimated about 50-51. That was stock. With the bigger tires, I got 51-52 on the GPS. Maybe 1mph increase wound out with the taller tires. I used to get the speedometer to hit 59 with the stockers, and the speedometer might touch 56-57 downhill now. The tires make the speedometer closer to being accurate. Its 2mph off now.

As far as justifying the Polaris, there are a few issues that I use. Although they are a package deal. If it were for just one or two things, I'd never do it. Basically its a combination of increased speed, better 4wd traction, true straight line ground clearance under the middle, plushy ride, and 2wd turning ease (spinning around and stuff). Some carry more weight than others with me. I already don't care for the fact that its a Polaris and its an automatic, but the others still outweigh that. If you take away the speed, then I don't see myself trading.

I have a lot of things that I look at between other quads and my 500. The thing that would keep me from getting any honda would be the Cat's swingaxle. The little extra speed of a Rubicon or even Honda reliability don't outweigh the stable semi independant suspension of the cat. The Grizz has the speed, but lack the swingaxle and is an Automatic. The Magnum has nothing going for it that I want. Falls in with the Grizz. Suzuki is my motor in a lesser body. Prarie 400 is a freewheeling nightmare, and the Traxter is an ugly looking tank with an odd construction and some messed up handlebars. I wouldn't consider even buying a $1 chance on one.

If Polaris made even a non HO sportsman with a manual tranny, I'd have it next month. Every time I have ridden a sportsman in the past few years at dealers, I've just been amazed at how good it rides and turns. Pulling power is nothing, cause I never pull anything. I also don't like the plastic racks, but i doubt that would be a problem cause my racks don't even have any scratches on them. If I ever haul anything that would scratch it up, I use the honda. It looks like crap already.

Old 08-29-2000, 12:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Basically, the HO thing came about right after I did the GPS test. The Cat is a lot slower than what they say the Sportsman is. 2mph isn't bad, but 6-8 is. I like to be able to go fast if the need arouses. Even more salt in the wound, I did the GPS test with the old beat up 300 honda 2wd yesterday (slightly bent axle and all). It did 50-51 on level pavement and its 11 years old. Kinda made me feel a bit less of the Cat, or at least got me mad. I had always figured I could outrun the 450's if I had the chance to try. Now, not so sure.

Old 08-29-2000, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

Andy:
Sounds like we've both got fairly similar idea's about most of the quads out there, I'd have to agree with most of your statements, especially about the freewheeling prairie. I test drove a couple different models, and man, that darned thing took off on any kind of downhill slope! That's one thing I really like about the 'Cat, when you put it in low range, it will crawl down most steeps with ease, though some of the stuff I ride does require nearly full lock breaking as well, so I guess it's a trade off either way you look at it. Sure is nice to just idle down stuff though without a second thought. A buddy of mine rides a Timberwolf that he's beat the hell out of over the last 11 years and he won't touch some of the hills I walk up or down on a regular basis, thinking nothing of it.

I was curious though, do you have any pics of your 'Cat? Specifically the bumpers? I like the look of the Kimpex rear bumper in the Dennis Kirk catalog, with the dual tube style. Thing is, I guess a couple people ordered it, and ended up getting the one like in the Cabela's catalog that is a single tube, rounded at the ends that loops back toward itself, with a break in the middle. I think the one in the picture "fits" better on the 'Cat, matching the front bumper design a little better. Just my opinion.

Also, when you had your lights mounted on the front, under the stockers, I'm assuming you used the two holes in the bumper attachment that are a few inches in front of the stock lights. That's where I plan on mounting a set of auxillary lights anyway. Did they ever cause clearance problems when dropping into a ditch, or crossing logs, rocks, etc.? They'd take a beating in the mud and deep water for sure in that location, but I'm not sure about steep downhill grades, then coming up out of it at the bottom. I guess with larger tires tough, it would put you at a better angle, thus lengthening the distance from the ditch to the light itself.

Sorry to be such a bother. I ended up getting screwed with school. The college says I need 7 more credits to actually get my degree, so I ended up having to return for one semester. Two damned classes to last me from now until the end of December! What a pain in the butt. Had to leave the 'Cat back at home so I'll only be able to ride on the weekends now, and since I've only got two classes, my buddies are all full time and are swampped with homework. Makes for long nights on the computer I guess.

Thanks again, hope things are better out your way!

Mike

Old 08-29-2000, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

Don't worry Andy you can outrun a 450 if you have to.

We have had two of them in the family. Depending on the luck of the draw regarding which rev-limiter the factory installs in your particular quad they will run between 48 and 51 on the speedometer. The 450's will bump the rev limiter and slow down 2 mph then crawl back up to the upper limit and the process keeps repeating itself over and over.

The 450's are a very durable torquey quad. But... not fast or comfortable. Oh... did I mention heavy steering?

Old 08-29-2000, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Is that speed on the Sportsman true speed or what?
I ever rarely go over 25 or 30 on mine so speed is no big deal compared to dependability. I like dependability, ride comfort, torque and little maintenance time that the Cat has. Eventually they will all get stuck anyway. Then here comes the wench. Do you travel a lot in the hills or mountains? Thats another spot the Cat outshines the Sportsman. Ever thought about the 2001 Cat manual with 2wd/4wd option?

Old 08-29-2000, 08:00 PM
Trailblazer

I got my 2001 500 manual last night and as soon as I get 100 miles on it or so I'll let her rip and see just what the top speed is (both speedo and GPS) and let ya know. I do live at 4000' elevation and ride alot higher most of the time, but I'll try to remember and post the elevation reading on the GPS at the time of the speed runs.

Old 08-29-2000, 09:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My kimpex bumpers are both the continuous tube. I like them better than the dual tube. The only problem is that the opening for the winch has a drop down tube around the bottom that messes with steep approach angles on downhills. I have to watch not to smack it on the ground in ditches and creekbeds and stuff. It also prevents hard side to side winching. Still they are better looking than the dual tube type.

The lights were mounted using the existing bolts for the regular lights. I just made some drop down mounts out of sheet metal and bent them to fit. didn't effect clearance any at all.

Old 08-29-2000, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Andy:
Glad to hear the lights weren't affected in that spot, I'll go ahead and continue with mounting them there. Guess I haven't seen that style of front bumper you are talking about, only the dual tube type.

It sounds like there are quite a few guys out there with those GPS units. Sounds like they could be pretty handy for several different reasons. Is there a specific brand you would recommend, or features to look for in one. I guess if I bought one, I would want to use if for hunting and following game trails, if that makes any difference to what type you need. I would assume they could all do the speed type thing since they are bounced off the satelites, is that right? I may end up getting some extra money for financial aid that I didn't know about, so if that happens, I'll be upgrading the big 'Cat sooner than expected. I'll know for sure in about 3 weeks, after they review the paperwork for tax purposes. Who knows, maybe there's hope yet!

Thanks again, how's the decision making coming? Any new thoughts about the Sportsman, or upgrading the 'Cat?

Mike

Quick Reply: Performance kit and speed