Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Does you Cat spend a lot of time in the Garage? How does it compare?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 09:59 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does you Cat spend a lot of time in the Garage? How does it compare?

Stacy, I expected this reply.

Yes, I ride with three people. The quad will haul 1000 pounds and I still have 600 to spare. Three people enjoy the ATV world that would have never had the experience, women and small children. I don't take risks with people. I don't ride fast, break axles, or ride beyond the limits of my or the quads abilities.

The people that give ATVing a bad name are the ones that are throwing mud at spectators at ATV rallys. People who allow there quad to go rolling down hills they have no right climing in the first place in front of innocent spectators don't help the sport either.

Don't blame me for the laws. Remember each of the 20 warning labels on an ATV was written by a lawyer and forced on the manufacturers by lawyers. The lawyers rule the sport not the riders.

As for laws, I always follow the laws of physics. These are the laws that enabled the sport in the first place. Disobey these laws and you get hurt or something breaks. I'm sure you have tested the abilities of your quad and took some risks. As a result you are probably a better rider for it. I'm sure you have given a child a ride on the back of your quad and both enjoyed the experience. It's not the laws the lawyers wrote that make the sport safe it's the rider.

I've ridden and taught people to ride motorcycles for over 30 years.....no one has been hurt. Yep, I gave women and children rides too so they could appreciate the experience. Some of these people have grown up to ride too.

And I hate to tell you the skys are'nt safe either....I'm currently learning to fly. It's the laws of physics thing again and learning to manage risks. If it was'nt for bicycles, motorcycle, and ATVs we would'nt be having this conversation. I hope I don't offend you by being free as I am not offended by your question or concern for my safety.

I too believe there should be tests but a lawyer would only make some money challenging them and other lawyers would make money writing them. The laws of physics will test your abilities and you can't cheat on these tests.

My 2 cents.

Old 12-24-2004, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

Good reply dude.

Old 12-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Trailblazer

Heck I have had 4 kids on my quad...of course it is on my private road which is dead level going 5mph..One needs to have some "field presence" to operate any equipt. No law can legislate sanity in operating equipt...The warning stickers on the quad are installed to exonerate the manufacturer of poor personal judgement suits that are fanned by our litigious society. Life is risk......and motor sports are more risk than walking .We in the U.S. have lost our minds and play the blame game with everything rather than accept responsiblity for our actions. Our legal system is currently out of bounds and needs to be put back in the cage for the sake of the national well being.Unfortunatley the lowest common denominator type individual dictates what the balance of us will be judged by. It is too bad because as a result of this many GOOD products never make it to market and many companies wont take risk......and risk is what improves the breed.I see GM minivans were just recalled because a dozen or so people broke their wrists /hands whatever on the door handle of the power door. I cant even imagine the caliber of individual who cannot master that door ....and then file suit against GM....but this is what lowers the bar for all of us. We simply cannot idiotproof every aspect of life.
Self rule with out self discipline will not work.
On a more positive note.... Merry Xmas and prosperity to all in the forum....

Old 12-24-2004, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: NewCatMan
Stacy, I expected this reply....Yes, I ride with three people. The quad will haul 1000 pounds and I still have 600 to spare.....I'm currently learning to fly.....I too believe there should be tests but a lawyer would only make some money challenging them and other lawyers would make money writing them. The laws of physics will test your abilities and you can't cheat on these tests.

My 2 cents.
Now that weve established your backwards rational it makes it easier to understand why you have missinterpreted those ATV regulations. I know you may struggle with this but it was the accident rates that attracted the laywers, not the other way around. Riding with a PAX on a single rider quad was identified as THE highest injury potential after youthful riders on over sized quads.

In regards to learning to fly - GREAT! - as you will either not make it through the program and will have learned a lesson from the waste of money spent trying or you will have to for possibly the first time in your life adopt the governments rules as gospel. Unlike just about everything else, the rules in flying are not allowed to be re-interpreted to fit your personal or selfish rational. Follow the rules or loose your (expensive) license at a minumum, or die and kill your helpless passengers - which is common. In 38 years of aviation I have never seen anyone make it using their own rules. Unlike the pirates code- these are not quidelines.

My Penny to the wise

WhoDat - not Stacy
Pitts S1 Pilot

Old 12-25-2004, 12:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

a 650's axles are not only bigger, but the cv's and even the splines are bigger than a 400's i know cause thats all my local dealer had instock and we compared them.... would never work like it sits right now..... its ok though..... just so ya'll know iam not a AC bashin hater or somthing I like my AC its just good at what it does, I think it best I just use it for farm work and pullin stuff/4 wheelers around because its just to heavy for the mud which we have alot ....i mean alot of here in GA but I do enjoy trail rideing with it and like I said it does great pulling, I just like modifiying my equipment from the smallest detail to performance enhancements to make it more my own , like noone else's. this is originally why I got a AC because NOONE around here has one and I have sparked a small intrest in the AC's but the big seller here is Honda dunno why, only 3 wheels spin in the mud unless you buy a $500+ locker

anywho yep so..... Merry Christmas everybody

Old 12-25-2004, 12:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: WhoDatInDaMud
Originally posted by: NewCatMan
Stacy, I expected this reply....Yes, I ride with three people. The quad will haul 1000 pounds and I still have 600 to spare.....I'm currently learning to fly.....I too believe there should be tests but a lawyer would only make some money challenging them and other lawyers would make money writing them. The laws of physics will test your abilities and you can't cheat on these tests.

My 2 cents.
Now that weve established your backwards rational it makes it easier to understand why you have missinterpreted those ATV regulations. I know you may struggle with this but it was the accident rates that attracted the laywers, not the other way around. Riding with a PAX on a single rider quad was identified as THE highest injury potential after youthful riders on over sized quads.

In regards to learning to fly - GREAT! - as you will either not make it through the program and will have learned a lesson from the waste of money spent trying or you will have to for possibly the first time in your life adopt the governments rules as gospel. Unlike just about everything else, the rules in flying are not allowed to be re-interpreted to fit your personal or selfish rational. Follow the rules or loose your (expensive) license at a minumum, or die and kill your helpless passengers - which is common. In 38 years of aviation I have never seen anyone make it using their own rules. Unlike the pirates code- these are not quidelines.

My Penny to the wise

WhoDat - not Stacy
Pitts S1 Pilot

wow great words from a wise.... what are you again a nun ??? priest maybe ??? nuthing against either but you cannot sit here and tell all of use here you have never broken a law/rule weather in reguards to a 4 wheeler or wheather its driveing or what have you. The rules and regulations printed on a 4 wheeler are like words of advice, they are there to tell you, if you dont follow these rules and you get hurt well thats your fault, sucks for you. Just like there are speed limit signs that say 55mph and you may run 60mph, or the sign at the pool that says no running but when u get out and feel the cold air you run to get your towel, or when you go hunting and shoot at some game animal without wearing hearing or eye protection...... its all to cover the manufactures behind, when I ride on a public trail I obey there rules because there are other people involed but on my own 400+ acres when I ride I obey no rules or regulations wheather it be the rule of not takeing more than a 25% grade on your AC or wheather its the law of gravity.

Old 12-25-2004, 12:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: GaSwampDonkey
a 650's axles are not only bigger, but the cv's and even the splines are bigger than a 400's i know cause thats all my local dealer had instock and we compared them.... would never work like it sits right now..... its ok though..... just so ya'll know iam not a AC bashin hater or somthing I like my AC its just good at what it does, I think it best I just use it for farm work and pullin stuff/4 wheelers around because its just to heavy for the mud which we have alot ....i mean alot of here in GA but I do enjoy trail rideing with it and like I said it does great pulling, I just like modifiying my equipment from the smallest detail to performance enhancements to make it more my own , like noone else's. this is originally why I got a AC because NOONE around here has one and I have sparked a small intrest in the AC's but the big seller here is Honda dunno why, only 3 wheels spin in the mud unless you buy a $500+ locker

anywho yep so..... Merry Christmas everybody
The axles and CV joints are the same according to their parts catalog, same part numbers. I would bet on the catalog being right and you being wrong.

Old 12-25-2004, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

[i]Originally posted by: GaSwampDonkey but on my own 400+ acres when I ride I obey no rules or regulations
As long as it is your own butt you are putting at risk - nobody cares. But when you take on multiple PAX on a single ride quad you are likely either missrepresenting the risk the others are taking or fooling yourself as to the danger that exists. And you are correct, I have the $37,000 in medical bills, broken bones and trashed quad to demonstrate how expensive and painfull ignoring the rules can be. I quess that is why I ask others to examine what they are doing, so they might possibly avoid the same path.

Rule #1 - If your going to be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

I'm not that tough any more.

Old 12-25-2004, 03:50 AM
Trailblazer

I am with mrmom and newcatman. If you are on your own property then you have the right to do what you want on your own property. It is not like you put a gun to your passenger's head and made them get on the quad (at least I hope not). I have tooken my nephues and cousins for rides. You tell me at 2-3mph on flat, smooth, dry terrain what can go wrong and cause me to kill both me and my passenger unless a meteor comes out of the sky and hits us. I with obide by every rule at local trails and state parks but on my property I will decide what I do. I find myself alot more careful with a passenger than by myself. You can't tell me in all the time you have been riding you have not broken a rule that is written on the fender of you ATV? your basically saying that if I go out a move my pickup across the driveway I have to note all traffic laws and use my turn signals and wear my seatbelt? Seems kinda dumb doesn't it?

Old 12-25-2004, 04:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

When somebody gets hurt or dies and the lawyers get into it you will find out you can't do whatever you want on your property. It's call liability and you will pay, probably for the rest of your life then again you might get lucky and only have criminal charges brought against you and only go to jail. Being stupid for any reason is the stupidest thing you can do and justifying with BS is stupider yet.

Quick Reply: Does you Cat spend a lot of time in the Garage? How does it compare?