Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

03 500I Auto, Who has one and???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 09:28 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 500I Auto, Who has one and???

I have a 03 500I auto with 10 miles on it sitting in the garage! I have not had it on the trails yet and would like to know how you like your quad, if you have had other quads, and how it compares to the other atvs. What mods do you have and recommend? what kind of problems should I look for on the bike and what problems have you encountered? I am planning a trip to canada and would like to know what spare parts I should take? what's your thoughts on a winch? Thanks for your time and happy new year!!

Old 01-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

Parts?? Wha? I wouldn't worry too much about parts, it's a new bike. They do have dealers up here if you do need parts. Someone give you that thing? Your first upgrade should be better tires. A winch is a must for all bikes as far as I'm concerned, either to get yourself out, or someone else. That's a very good bike you have there, put gas in it, and ride 'er. May want to put some gas line antifreeze in it- just in case.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 2002 AC 500i with 583 (???) miles on mine. The 2002 is the same for the 2003 except yours has a few newer / neater features. Stuff like electronic dash, 2" trailer hitch receiver, etc. But the majority of it is the same as yours....

Since your 2003 as been sitting for so long, there is a few things to worry about. Stuff like its belt may be a little too oval, some of its gaskets have dried up, its brake cylinders seals may have gone hard, and stuff like that. While sitting in your garage, I hope you've been starting it ever month and letting it run for 15 minutes (or so). Even with snowmobiles and cars, they need to be started and moved back / forth 20 feet (or so) to keep the fluids and other parts moving. Also check your disc brake surfaces. They could be loaded with rust. Check shocks to ensure their seals haven't gone hard either.

For mods and parts, keep your eye open for axle problems. I've read many times that if one puts larger tires on a the 500i, it could break an axle. Hopefully, this was an 2002 worry and they have it corrected with their 2003 model. Before doing any mods, drive you AC around for a while. Based on your experience, then decide if it needs a bigger pipe, better tread tires, etc. Many tell me the factory Dunlop tires suck. But our Dunlops are good enough - until their tread wears out. If you are driving at night, I would recommend you install a manual Reverse light. To see pictures, surf: - Press Here 1 - - Press Here 2 - If you are doing lots of mud riding, I would recommend shock covers (aka: shock socks) on all 4 tires and possibly a windshield with mirrors. As seen in the above links, my AC is a deep mud machine - even with factory Dunlop tires on it.

Before heading into Canada for your 1st "big trail run", I'd recommend you drive your AC around your neighborhood for a while. Make sure all fluids have been changed and you're past the 100 mile mark (which is its break in milestone).

For parts, there are many AC dealers within Canada. As a suggestion, surf the AC web site and write down 3 AC dealers within the Canadian region you plan to visit. If you do have problems, you'll proactively have this info in your travel kit.

For a proper size winch, you can contact your local AC dealer. Winchs are a lot less expensive in the US then they are in Canada. Unless you get a good deal in Canada. By confirming the size with your AC dealer, you'll ensure that too small or too large of winch isn't purchased.

For slow speed, deep mud riding and pulling large trailers, I love my AC 500i. To me, its the best darn power house around my neighbourhood. It's ground clearance and rack capacity beats all others. If wondering, I'm always the guy at the back of the pack who pulls all others out. For fast speed or on tight corner trails, my AC is "a tank". Hard to steer and very little suspension. For fast dry trails, I'd rather be driving a 2 wheel Sports Quad. Or a nice light weight 4x4 unit.

Hope this helps...

Old 01-04-2005, 04:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In addition to the above, I'd also recommend you purchase a rear cargo box or a rear seat (to be used as a cargo box only). In your cargo box, you can stash all sorts of trail & survival equipment. Stuff ranging from tow ropes, cell phone, blanket, snack / water, wrenches, first aid kit, etc. etc. We have a rear seat on ours and its always loaded with stuff. Stuff that I had to use many times to bail my other quad buddies out of trouble. Like the one time my buddy burt his wrist on his own muffler. And yes, I told me to clean the mud out AFTER we got home and his engine cooled down.

Also, you may want to contact your local AC dealer and provide them your VIN number. With your VIN, they will cross reference their huge d/base system and confirm any recalls on your AC unit. For my '02 500i, we had the BALL Joint recall but NOT the brake recall. Others within the '02 range did have a recall on their brakes.

Hope this helps as well....

Old 01-05-2005, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

i had an 02 and an 03 500 and the 02 was bombprood the 03 would have been to if i had 25 or 26 inch tires on it the 27's were a lil big for a 500 in my book but still it was a great machine the 03 did have alot more horsepower then the 02 and well about the winch deffinately get one greatest investment you could ever get and parts well with that few of miles on it i wouldn't worry bout it as much well even with mine with 1300 i don't maybe a tire repair kit and some duct tape you never know thats where the duct tape comes in [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] have fun