Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

what it comes down to (tires)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 04:16 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what it comes down to (tires)

thanks alot for all the help, looking back at the places i ride, ive pretty much made up my mind to go with the dirt devils. Alot of the areas we ride in have some nasty terrain and i wouldnt want to risk more flats going with a lighter tire. Im also liking the fact that they have a stiffer sidewall seeing as we do some pretty fast paced trail runs that can end up in some hill climbs and finish out in some mud. Out of what i heard the devils do a good job for pretty much anything: a heavy duty tire i can take through rocks, strong sidewalls for trail use, and deep lugs for mudding.

Old 01-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kawasaskirules
i would go with the dirt devils i have them now when these wear out i'm going to get the 26-10-12 the whole way around
From what I have seen your bike will wear out before your Dirt Devils will,very tough tire.

Old 01-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

frndinalowplace, take a look at 1wook's pictures (good bictures BTW 1wook). Take a close look at the one called "3d", 1wook has the 25" mudlights which have the smaller lugs. Imagine the lugs being twice that size and a little larger, then you'll have an idea what your bike will look like. Pretty sweet huh?

I've tried to find a picture of my old bike but I believe they're all gone.

Old 01-22-2005, 10:42 AM
Trailblazer

i as well am undecided which tires to go with, i'm purchasing a KQ probably around valentines day and i don't know if i should get 26's or 27's, i am getting either gators or mudlites we ride probably 60 percent mud and 40 percent loggin roads and fields i ride with 4 guys that have big grizz's 2 have 26's and 2 have 27's but they're having trouble with some u-joints and axles will this be as common of a problem with the KQ?

Old 01-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

Well everyone has their own opinion. So, here's mine

Everytime one moves up in tire size the bike is geared higher and a mesurable amount of torque is lost. I had 27's on my Cat and could tell a big difference in the power loss over the stockers.

The difference between a 29" tire and a 26" tire is only 1.5 inches of ground clearance and if you take a look at how much 1.5 inches really is on a ruler, "it aint much". For most of us, I think the 26" tire is the best choice because 26's are where they start outfitting the tires with the really big lugs (call it "best bang for the buck if you will). Now, some guys feel the need to go BIGGER. I personnaly think it's some type of compensation for something. *grin* But as as far as effectiveness, there is no difference in effectiveness between a 29" tire and a 26" tire all things being equal. Infact, the 26" tire has a smaller circumference which would make it EASIER to turn FAST in the mud which is what you need. If you just want your quad to look big then a 29" tire is really handy.

I would personally prefer to have 26" tires and add a lift kit to get the extra 1.5 inches (If I really "had" to have it) and have the best of both worlds without adding the extra strain of the large tire on my drivetrain. But, like I said above, that's just me. For some guys the power loss is acceptable and the desire to go BIG defies logic and simple math but that's what they like.

So it comes down to this.

Are you a practical guy and simply want to augment the performance of your quad with a better tire?

Or, do you prefer that your quad look bigger and meaner than the next guys quad?

Answer those questions honestly and you'll have your answer.

Good Luck!

Old 01-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

By the way HillRaider, I'd go for the Gators. That's probably what I'll put on my 500 Auto when I get it. My Dad has the mudlites and they are wearing down pretty quick. The GBC's are very tough.

Old 01-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Range Rover

95 percent sure that im going with the devils right now. Out riding last week and noticed my brother had a flat on the left rear while we were riding. when we got home and checked out the tire, turns out there was about a quarter inch gash right through the lug of the tire all the way through. put in a hot patch and filled the tire with fix a flat and its holding up great till the new tires get here. Riding around the same place after some of the snow melted, i noticed how bad the terrain really is, two foot ruts everywhere and sharp rocks and shale. From what ive heard of the dirt devils they'r almost bulletproof and have great traction and trail manners to boot. as much as i like the mud lites, looks like im goin with the devils (plus ive found them for 20 bucks cheaper a tire) thanks for all the help guys, good riding.

Old 01-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

ethernut, thanks, they are 26's though. I need to take a picture of the lugs with a quarter next to one, there big.

Originally posted by: ethernut
frndinalowplace, take a look at 1wook's pictures (good bictures BTW 1wook). Take a close look at the one called "3d", 1wook has the 25" mudlights which have the smaller lugs. Imagine the lugs being twice that size and a little larger, then you'll have an idea what your bike will look like. Pretty sweet huh?

I've tried to find a picture of my old bike but I believe they're all gone.

Old 01-24-2005, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

FYI I put some big tires on my 2002 375 with the ACT suspension and the tires would bind-up on the springs when traversing rough terrain. I finaly when't back to stock tires. If you have the independant suspension that won't be a problem.

Old 02-06-2005, 07:10 PM
Trailblazer

I have a set of swamp witches and a friend of mine has a set of DD, and we went riding lastnight in alot if mud and they both did the job. They both ride the same smooth on hard surfaces and great in the mud, both are 6ply and the only reason I didn't get the DD is because no dealer had then and the SW's are cheaper to ship so I went with those. I can say how long they will last because I just got them but so far so good. I'd get another set for my 300 when I need to because I really like them and the price was right.