Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Went to Brown Mountain ORV Saturday!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2000, 10:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to BMORV in Morganton, NC. Saturday Sept 15th. The suspension on my 500a got a full work out. I am amazed every time I ride this thing on hills or rocks at what it will climb. I wish I had the pics to show you guys.I imagine I will have them next week some time. Has any one else been there? Ride safe!!!

Old 09-18-2000, 01:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've always been more amazed at what my piece of crap 3wd limited slip differential WON'T climb. Like the weak hill that I spun out on today. Too bad some guy can't develop a locker kit for an AC 500. I will say that I am always impressed about how my rear suspension handles certain climbs and situations. That is the true mark of genius that AC lives by I think. That and solid construction.

Old 09-18-2000, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy, if you want a locker for your Arctic Cat, why not weld your spider gears?

This "Lincoln Locker" (so-named for the Lincoln welder involved) modification exists for applications like yours.

Tree Farmer

Old 09-18-2000, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

Tree Farmer:
I've wondered why people don't do that very often. Does it cause any binding problems, or cause undue stress to the axles? Other than being a little more difficult to steer, what possible problems could arise? I don't care to do it to my 'Cat, but I've wondered why you see a lot of people really needing a locker, but never do that modification to the gears. I can't imagine it's that difficult, more time consuming maybe?

In2atvn:
Sounds like you had a great time. Let me know when you get the pics posted, I'd love to see it!

Take care,

Mike

Old 09-18-2000, 09:40 PM
Range Rover

Andy:
Funny how you seem to have such trouble climbing! Maybe it's not the machine. I've NEVER been outclimbed. Not by Grizzly, Kokiak, Honda's, and not even by a Polaris Sportsman.

Old 09-18-2000, 10:29 PM
Trailblazer

Cowboy, I will let you know as soon as I get them scaned and posted. I guess I just am amazed at how well this thing climbs compared to the Kawasaki Lakota I had in the past. I have to give the machine a lot of credit because this is only the 2nd Quad that I have owned. The rest before were 3 wheelers and motorcycles. I reckon I got too excited!!!

Old 09-19-2000, 02:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Either you have a phenomenal quad or you don't see the same situations that I do. The second probably doesn't carry any weight, because I am sure there are steep hills of loose dirt and leaves in Vermont too. I've spun out so many times I can't recall them all. Did it yesterday like I said in a place that I sure didn't expect to. The 454 will spin out in the same situations. I think the fat worn down 495's may have something to do with that, but I have found places that were so steep and loose that the Claws spun out as well on them. Not much you can do when your rear tires are digging holes while your fronts alternate between which one is kicking back rocks out of the ground. I have just made ruts severall times on dry dirt hills. Straight up and smooth is one thing, but steep and winding around trees is another. Roots keep you from keeping solid momentum, because you will hit it and flip your *** over as well. I don't see you getting outclimbed by those other quads, except the Polaris models, and I don't think I will ever believe that any limited slip will ever have more traction than the polaris all wheel drive. The physics of it are not possible.