Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

racing two quads

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 02:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default racing two quads

Talked with a guy this weekend who has done two engine swaps into quads. First was a 750 4 cylinder Honda bike motor into a DS650 frame. Worked because the engine tranny combo had it's own clutch setup. The second on was a snowmachine engine in the 600cc range, same deal with it's clutch already there. In both cases he said there were drive train problems to work out, but nothing that a little common sense didn't solve. Both frames were chain drive for the final. I asked him to think about putting a 750 Honda into an AC with drive shafts. He looked over my bike and said he get back to me. Seems I have a Honda 750 engine sitting in my basement.

Old 02-22-2005, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default racing two quads

bear that would be sweet i supposed a person would deffinately wanna put that kind of power pland in a straight axle for and independent would snap axles like a twig and shaft drive would be nice for i am not much of a chain fan but i can't see how it would be all that difficult i think the biggest problem i would have is wiring.

Old 02-22-2005, 12:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default racing two quads

Originally posted by: weez440
bear that would be sweet i supposed a person would deffinately wanna put that kind of power pland in a straight axle for and independent would snap axles like a twig and shaft drive would be nice for i am not much of a chain fan but i can't see how it would be all that difficult i think the biggest problem i would have is wiring.
I agree on the straight axle, but the trouble with a shaft drive would be finding a differential that would handle the power. A chain drive final with sprocket changes for gear ratio changes would be very simple. I think the IRS is possible with components out of a car with shortened axles, but expensive. Wiring would be only a matter of spicing the harness on the engine to the harness on the bike, a piece of cake.

Old 02-22-2005, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default racing two quads

Plus i think the 2 year warranty covers the dvx as well, and u cant find a better warranty than that.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was posted earlier in this thread. My responce is...

UUUmmm how about a warranty on the steel swingarm on the new preds?..or on the chain?..does a Kawizukicat offer that?...And why did they leave the rezzie shocks off from the AC and Kawi?..but left the price the same as a Z...

Old 02-23-2005, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default racing two quads

once a person started getting into the wires i am sure it would be fine but i just hate doing it, i used to do electrical at my job for a couple years and i just didn't like it got burnt out on it. and you are correct to find a rear diff that would handle the power and that would be the right width but if a person could the gearing can be done in the clutching or the actual gearing of the diff see now those are the mechanical brain teasers i love trying to find something that would both work good and keep weight down to a minimal. the more i think about it the more i realize you are correct with the chain drive that would be the absolute simplest way to go. lol i even thought of a front end out of a geo metro to put in the rear end so a person would still have independent rear suspension.

Old 02-23-2005, 12:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default racing two quads

Originally posted by: weez440
once a person started getting into the wires i am sure it would be fine but i just hate doing it, i used to do electrical at my job for a couple years and i just didn't like it got burnt out on it. and you are correct to find a rear diff that would handle the power and that would be the right width but if a person could the gearing can be done in the clutching or the actual gearing of the diff see now those are the mechanical brain teasers i love trying to find something that would both work good and keep weight down to a minimal. the more i think about it the more i realize you are correct with the chain drive that would be the absolute simplest way to go. lol i even thought of a front end out of a geo metro to put in the rear end so a person would still have independent rear suspension.
Weez; I also thought about a differential out of a car and then cutting and welding the axles so they would be short enough. Still they would be heavy and with this much motor I'm not sure 4X4 would be necessary or advisable. Use an extended swing arm to keep from doing a wheelie over backwards and just rely on sear brute power to git over the top or to the other end of the race. And it would be a complete racer and not much good for anything else.

Old 02-24-2005, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default racing two quads

yeah it really wouldn't be good for much more then going in a straight line very fast. hmmmmm maybe even the rear differential out of a polaris ranger they are a wider but would give a person that stability lol that thing would look goofy