Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

ac 250 problems...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac 250 problems...

Garret
If you think your choke is not closing for cold starts try removing your air filter cover the hole with your hand or something briefly (cold engine only) while starting if it starts right up remove your hand quickly if it dies WHALLA choke problems. I'm gone till Mon night
Good luck
1st

Old 03-11-2005, 04:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bear4570
Originally posted by: garrett5462
well, i just wnt out and tried it with just the choke and it wouldnt start. i eventually had to give it throttle and it did start. for osme reason when u have the choke off and u move the lever the slide in the carb doesnt move. is the carb on it a vaccum choke or something? that needs vaccum from the engine to engage. or is there a problem if the slide doesnt move when u move the lever. its weird because when the engine is hot and u move the lever to choke on, it will die, so im pretty sure the choke is working. so why doesnt it move. i think in other carbs, there is a butterfly thing that looks about the size of a quarter, and that is what opens and closes. is there something wrong if it doesnt move?

The slide only moves when there is enough air flow thru the engine to require the slide to supply the engine more air. Not running- never will move. The throttle valve behind it will, the slide no. The choke is actually and enrichment system the allows extra fuel into the engine in addition to the normal low speed fuel circuit. The choke is internal and you won't see anything move there. The slide is a seperate system from the throttle and is controlled by the spring behind the dyaphram and how much vacuum the engine is pulling. This is why the carbs are fairly insensitive to altitude changes. Have you tried adjusting the mixture screw? What color is the inside of your exhaust pipe?
i know what the choke is, it just puts more gas into the engine and less air. i was pretty sure i wouldnt see the slide moving because of the kind of the carb, because i know on other quads, with the manifold off the u can see the part moving to block out the air. Bear, what part of the exaust should i take of, the header or the spark areestor were it is connected to the header sort of near the recoil pull start. i just had that off a few days ago to paint it. should i take it of? what should i be looking for inside? lots of build up of black soot crap or carbon or what? also, how many turns would u do on the fuel mixture screw? isnt it like all the way in and then 1 and a half turns out?
and 1st1at50, i have tried putting my hand over the snorokel while starting it with the seat off but it didnt so much. i dont think i have it fully blocked though. ill take of the air filters and put my hand over the manifold hole and try.

Old 03-11-2005, 09:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

well, i just wnt out and tried it with just the choke and it wouldnt start. i eventually had to give it throttle and it did start. for osme reason when u have the choke off and u move the lever the slide in the carb doesnt move. is the carb on it a vaccum choke or something? that needs vaccum from the engine to engage. or is there a problem if the slide doesnt move when u move the lever. its weird because when the engine is hot and u move the lever to choke on, it will die, so im pretty sure the choke is working. so why doesnt it move. i think in other carbs, there is a butterfly thing that looks about the size of a quarter, and that is what opens and closes. is there something wrong if it doesnt move?

The slide only moves when there is enough air flow thru the engine to require the slide to supply the engine more air. Not running- never will move. The throttle valve behind it will, the slide no. The choke is actually and enrichment system the allows extra fuel into the engine in addition to the normal low speed fuel circuit. The choke is internal and you won't see anything move there. The slide is a seperate system from the throttle and is controlled by the spring behind the dyaphram and how much vacuum the engine is pulling. This is why the carbs are fairly insensitive to altitude changes. Have you tried adjusting the mixture screw? What color is the inside of your exhaust pipe?
i know what the choke is, it just puts more gas into the engine and less air. i was pretty sure i wouldnt see the slide moving because of the kind of the carb, because i know on other quads, with the manifold off the u can see the part moving to block out the air. Bear, what part of the exaust should i take of, the header or the spark areestor were it is connected to the header sort of near the recoil pull start. i just had that off a few days ago to paint it. should i take it of? what should i be looking for inside? lots of build up of black soot crap or carbon or what? also, how many turns would u do on the fuel mixture screw? isnt it like all the way in and then 1 and a half turns out?
and 1st1at50, i have tried putting my hand over the snorokel while starting it with the seat off but it didnt so much. i dont think i have it fully blocked though. ill take of the air filters and put my hand over the manifold hole and try.
This choke system just adds more fuel, but the air is the same, that's why opening the throttle lets more air in and the fuel stays the same. Don't pull the exhaust system, just look at the tail pipe. Just look to see if it is black and sooty looking or brown and a lightly coated with carbon or what. The mixture screw is to be out 2 3/4 turns from lightly seated. To choke the engine manually use a rag or small towel to cover the air intake opening. Did you check the clamps on the hose to the engine from the carb? If the clamps aren't tight or the hose not on right you end up with a vacuum leak.

Old 03-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider

which hose clamp do u mean? the clamp that holds on the manifold? i tried taking of the air filter and choknig the engine and it led to nothing different than before. also, after riding the quad today for ike a half an hour, i went inside for about 10 minutes, then came out to start and it acts just like when it has been in the shed in the cold all night? is that just how fast it would normally cool down. like is aid, even after riding for a while, 5 minutes later it was still hard to start.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Garrett, you have some real bad carb problems my friend. I would take it back off and tear it down and assemble it piece by piece per the instructions in the manual. The engine after 10 minutes should start like any other warm engine, a touch of throttle and crank and run. While the carb is off check the hoses off the carb, from air cleaner and to the engine; for cracks, holes and proper install, no rolled lips.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Garrett, you have some real bad carb problems my friend. I would take it back off and tear it down and assemble it piece by piece per the instructions in the manual. The engine after 10 minutes should start like any other warm engine, a touch of throttle and crank and run. While the carb is off check the hoses off the carb, from air cleaner and to the engine; for cracks, holes and proper install, no rolled lips.
alright, i guess i got a mission now for tomorrow. crank up the heat in the garage, use the manual i got on ebay, and see whats wrong with the baby. just take it apart and re assemble it by what the service manual shows? alright then.

Old 03-13-2005, 07:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

... great. today i went riding with my friend and since he is like forty and 200 olbs, he rode my quad so it hjad more wieght and so it would ride betetr. so, i rode his ole 200 sx beater and he said that it was sputtering and backfiring again in the higher gears! wtf. i thouhgt u had that problem solved a few weeks ago. this is getting so frustaded, everyday, something is messes up again, either carb or w/e. he said he thought that it was the vavle. should i get the vavle re adjusted or what. he also told me to get a new cam and vavles, buty i dont know about that. maybe, if i have to. he also said that the quad was acting very under powerwed.

Old 03-13-2005, 09:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Lets see, 530 lbs quad with 250 motor with and 200 lbs old guy means at least 730 lbs for the poor little 250 to tote around. OK same porker on 250 lbs quad gives 450 lbs to tote around by a 200 engine. Its a no brainer and he is not objective at all. It ain't like you stuffed a 400, 500 or 650 under his butt. You should of atayed on you machine and let him ride his. Youstill have a carb problem my friend. You ride it and tell us what you think. Did you go thru the carb yet? Did yoy check the float setting height?

Old 03-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i didnt chechk the float setting hieght, but me and my dad toke the carb off, toke of the float bowl, biaphram, and needle and everything. cleaned it, everything looked right and it didnt seem like there was anthing missing. and yea, 220 lbs is alot for the little machine. i only weigh 110 and it rides fine for me.

Old 03-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

First rule of carburator work. If it's apart, "Check the Float Setting". Everytime, always. If the fuel level in the bowl is wrong, every setting in the carb will be wrong, jets, bleeds, etc. They are all clibrated to work with the fuel at a specific level, to high or to low are not good.

Quick Reply: ac 250 problems...