Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

ac 250 problems...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac 250 problems...

alright, can i foind the srtting for the floats in the manual? the one from alopha-sports?

Old 03-14-2005, 03:38 PM
Trailblazer

Garrett
If you say the carb is fine, and there is no vacuum leak, why not take a compression test and make sure there is no head gasket issue. I honestly don't think it's timing I don't know though why not call the dealers service dept. and see if you can get someones advice other than bring it in
1st

Old 03-14-2005, 05:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 1st1at50
Garrett
If you say the carb is fine, and there is no vacuum leak, why not take a compression test and make sure there is no head gasket issue. I honestly don't think it's timing I don't know though why not call the dealers service dept. and see if you can get someones advice other than bring it in
1st
well, i didnt say that the carb was "fine", but i did take it throughly apart and cleaned it and checked it. but bear told me to check the float level which i didnt do yet. i dunno if that is all of it. weither it is the dieing and sputtering in the higher gears or the not starting. dont i need a compression tester to check it? also, i dont really have a dealer. i bought it from a private owner and we dont have any arctic cat atv dealers near here. so, that is why i use the forums alot and i have to buy all my parts online. we have a suzuki dealer who can usually order parts like bearings and pads and bushings, but when it comes to motor parts oin a cat, they r as dumb as a box of rocks. what do i need to check the compression? isnt it called a compression tester or gauge or something?

Old 03-14-2005, 07:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garrett5462
alright, can i foind the srtting for the floats in the manual? the one from alopha-sports?

The shop manual has the procedure for checking and setting the float. If you don't have it the setting is 1/2". I can scan the page from the manual and e-mail it if you don't have that. I don't know why the dealer is having trouble with engine parts, the damn engine and tranny combo are made by Suzuki, the carb is a different carb than Suzuki runs on the Ozark 250.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

yea, i found it in the manual. but, right now i cant find the compression ratio? my neibor said i should check it because he said from past expierencies, when it gets into like 3rd gear and up and dies, that it could be a crankshaft seal or even rings.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garrett5462
yea, i found it in the manual. but, right now i cant find the compression ratio? my neibor said i should check it because he said from past expierencies, when it gets into like 3rd gear and up and dies, that it could be a crankshaft seal or even rings.

First off your neighbor is confused. This isn't a 2 stoke and crank seals won't do anything but keep the oil in the crankcase. Check the compression with the throttle at WOT, the engine stop switch on "Stop" and I would guess the number will be 90 to 120 PSI. Squirt a couple of squirts of oil in the spark plug hole and check again. If the number comes up like 20 to 30 numbers the rings are bad. But I doubt thats your problem. I believe the compression ratio is about 8.5 to 1. Have you tried using some premium gas for the hard start and high speed miss? Seen it happen and you say you changed the spark plug, did you check the gap? It can cause a high speed miss if gap is too narrow.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider

no, i never tries using premium fuel for the high gears problems. thats one thing that my friend said to do. run it on premium and maybe it will run better. i cant check the compression til tommorow when my dad gets an end piece for it that fits my quad(he is a car painter). he said i put it on and just hit the starter. what do u put the oil in for? ill ty getting some premium fuel and test it out, maybe it will ride better.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Remove the tester and squirt the oil in the spark plug hole, then reinstall the tester and crank it again. To see true numbers the throttle should be wide open (I know the slide won't be, but it will make a difference). All the premium fuel tells you is that there is a problem that needs to be fixed. The compression is not high enough to need premium for normal running. All the extra heat in the premium has to go somewhere so it makes the engine run hotter, not good.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

also, what should the gap be? i think it is at like .24. what should i put it at? also, should i run the champion plug(not sure which size, all i know is that the guy at advacne cross referenced it) or should i use the ngk ( dr7ea)? just wondering? i just out in the champion and never ran it yet, havent even tried. i just got it cuz it was like a dollar and was gonna see how it worked.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bear4570
Remove the tester and squirt the oil in the spark plug hole, then reinstall the tester and crank it again. To see true numbers the throttle should be wide open (I know the slide won't be, but it will make a difference). All the premium fuel tells you is that there is a problem that needs to be fixed. The compression is not high enough to need premium for normal running. All the extra heat in the premium has to go somewhere so it makes the engine run hotter, not good.
so i should just use the premium once adn see how it works? then, if it runs it better in the higher gears, i know that there is something wrong?

Quick Reply: ac 250 problems...