Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

ac 250 problems...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 06:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac 250 problems...

Bear,
Bikes my whole life too. In fact I want to sell my '99 Honda Valkyrie and buy another ATV and trailer. I'm gonna miss this bike my biggest one. But it's getting dangerous riding around here. I think being able to go 55mph through the woods on an ATV is much safer
1st

Old 03-22-2005, 06:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 1st1at50
1st1at50
remember I said I was ner to quads but not engines? My 1st quad at 50. Read thread GETTIN MINE SAT!
thats a nifty idea for a user name.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-24-2005, 04:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

aww, wtf. its doing it again. i just went on the manual and and found a trouble shoooting checklist. i did most of them( pilot screw, air filter, fuel line, spark plug gap,...) i guess im gonna go and check the float level, and if it isnt that, then it has to be vavle springs. that is the first thing on the list, but i wanted to check the easy stuff first. im so frustrated. i thought i had found the problem, but i guess not.

Old 03-25-2005, 09:48 AM
Trailblazer

TWO QUICK EASY CHECKS
When you give it throttle does it want to die
put a brand new fresh tank of gas in it but before you do take the fuel filter out and blow through it see if it is restricted! I can't recall if youve checked that yet
1st

Old 03-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider

well, its not that. when u go to accelerat fast, u ride first, upshift to second and it goes fine. u click it into 3rd, it will go til about 1/3 throttle and die and sputter and backfire and bog. sometimes it will be ok in 3rd, but then it will do it in 4th. its really annoying when we need to go fast. pretty mcuh, if u try to accelerate real fast, and ride out the gears, u click it to third and get nothin. sputering, quiet backfires, and it bogs and slows down big time. i was going to get some dry gas, will that work?

Old 03-25-2005, 10:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garrett5462
well, its not that. when u go to accelerat fast, u ride first, upshift to second and it goes fine. u click it into 3rd, it will go til about 1/3 throttle and die and sputter and backfire and bog. sometimes it will be ok in 3rd, but then it will do it in 4th. its really annoying when we need to go fast. pretty mcuh, if u try to accelerate real fast, and ride out the gears, u click it to third and get nothin. sputering, quiet backfires, and it bogs and slows down big time. i was going to get some dry gas, will that work?
This sounds like the exact problem my 250 had when I got it. One question, If, when it does this sputter and bogs; if you back off to about half throttle, does it run ok and will even accelerate slowly?

Old 03-26-2005, 09:38 AM
Trailblazer

I can't help but think it's starving for gas at high revs and load!!
1st

Old 03-26-2005, 12:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bear4570
This sounds like the exact problem my 250 had when I got it. One question, If, when it does this sputter and bogs; if you back off to about half throttle, does it run ok and will even accelerate slowly?
yea, if u just give it a little throttle it will eventually speed up, and u can up shift, but u really gotta ride it like an old lady. u cant just click it into 3rd and mat the thing. it wont do it.

Old 03-26-2005, 04:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

yea, if u just give it a little throttle it will eventually speed up, and u can up shift, but u really gotta ride it like an old lady. u cant just click it into 3rd and mat the thing. it wont do it.
Ok, the problem with mine when it did this was the needle and spring and spaces were assemble wrong in the slide or the spacer was missing in my case. On the needle there is an "e-clip", under the e-clip goes a small nylon ring and on top of the e-clip goes a lage nylon ring. The needle goes into the slide and the sprin holds the needle in the slide and then the slide down in the carb. If the big ring is under the needle the e-clip or missing the needle rattles it's way upward during WOT. In the lower gears the engine can handle the extra fuel, once you reach 3rd gear then it can't and stumbles and bogs until you back off on the throttle. Just pull the 4 screw out of the top of the carb and remove the cover, diaphragm and and slide. Place a towel on the bench and slowly invert the slide while holding on to the needle. A nylon ring the diameter of the hole should fall out. Then let go of the needle and it and the small ring should fall out. If not you have found your problem. Reassemble with small ring under the e-clip (on the long end) on the needle, then larger ring on top of the e-clip and instell needle into the slide. Slide into carb and then the spring, diaphragm and cover. Reinstall screws and you are ready to run. BTW the carb can stay on engine for this.

Old 03-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ok, the problem with mine when it did this was the needle and spring and spaces were assemble wrong in the slide or the spacer was missing in my case. On the needle there is an "e-clip", under the e-clip goes a small nylon ring and on top of the e-clip goes a lage nylon ring. The needle goes into the slide and the sprin holds the needle in the slide and then the slide down in the carb. If the big ring is under the needle the e-clip or missing the needle rattles it's way upward during WOT. In the lower gears the engine can handle the extra fuel, once you reach 3rd gear then it can't and stumbles and bogs until you back off on the throttle. Just pull the 4 screw out of the top of the carb and remove the cover, diaphragm and and slide. Place a towel on the bench and slowly invert the slide while holding on to the needle. A nylon ring the diameter of the hole should fall out. Then let go of the needle and it and the small ring should fall out. If not you have found your problem. Reassemble with small ring under the e-clip (on the long end) on the needle, then larger ring on top of the e-clip and instell needle into the slide. Slide into carb and then the spring, diaphragm and cover. Reinstall screws and you are ready to run. BTW the carb can stay on engine for this.
i remember doing that before. i had to see if the white nylon washer was there. and, yes it was there. there was a nylon washer, then a nother peiece and after that there was another nylon washer. a little while back, my dad and i were taking the cver off of the float bowl and a washer fell out. could that be the problem? i think it was the main jet washer.

Quick Reply: ac 250 problems...