Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Pictures are up

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2000, 01:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got around to putting some pics of my AC up. The URL is down there with my signature now. Took an eternity to get them uploaded. I think I'll do this on a regular basis as I get other pics. Its pretty neat. Bad photo quality seeing that these came out of a disposable Fuji camera.

Old 09-26-2000, 02:59 AM
Pro Rider

GREAT pic Andy, I've BEEN wanting to see what your cat looked l iike. It looks VERY clean. I personally rather the LOOK of the BI/TRI-Claw on factory wheels set up over my Tri-CLaws on ITP wheels, But I didn't notice a real difference in steering and I DON'T THINK that the Bi-Claws could keep up with the Tri-Claws where I ride.

Old 09-26-2000, 03:28 AM
Pro Rider
Old 09-26-2000, 03:36 AM
Pro Rider

Andy,
Go here to learn how to do these little speacial things.

Old 09-26-2000, 03:36 AM
Pro Rider

Andy:
Great pics! I had the same problem with the quality, using a disposable camera. I realized after I ran them on the kodak cd, that if I had have installed the program, there is a way to enhance them, or alter them-such as brightness, contrast, etc. It really made a big difference to the ones on the cd, though I never uploaded them because of the time involved. Seems like just a few pics take forever to upload.

Judging from your "three wheel" pic, I can see now how you get so frustrated with that happening. I really think there is something wrong, or different about your front end, compared to mine. I'm not trying to start another argument on this already exhausted topic, and I also realize that pictures don't always give a good interpretation of what the steepness or grade of a hill actually looks like, but you shouldn't be experiencing the three wheel effect in that position. It looks like you and I run a lot of the same type of terrain, so next time I'm out, I'll get another disposable camera and try to remember to enhance them this time. (I'm too cheap to buy a nice digital!) Anyway, I'll try to take some pics of the various degrees of steepness, and terrain I encounter on a few of the elk trails, and jeep trails I run. I am truly amazed at what it will climb.

As for your most recent headaches between trading the 'Cat for the SP500HO, all I can say is good luck, that would be a tough decision based on the qualities of each machine and weighing the pro's and con's of each. You do have a great looking machine there, and I am wondering if the trade off is really worth it. It seems a few people have been able to weld their pinion gears together for a true "locked" effect. Granted, it would be a permanent fix, and the steering would be a little more difficult, but you definately wouldn't have any more problems with that particular hill again, or any others for that matter.

Another question I have about the SP500 is the downhill effect. With the AWD system, and the needed rear wheel slipage to engage the front, would you be able to get it into four wheel drive at all going downhill? I don't know exactly how the system works, other than it requires 1/5th wheel spin of the rears to engage the front, but while decending a hill, and applying the breaks if needed, I don't see the rear wheels slipping, unless you give it a little gas, while breaking-thus trying to "trick" the system. Again, I don't know about this issue, I'm just curious to how it would work in that situation. I know the hills I go down would surely result in a rollover, or severe slippage if I didn't have four wheel drive. This may not be a problem at all, just something to think about.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, just had a few thoughts there. I do like the pics and that's a mean looking 'Cat with the bumpers and tires!

Take care, and good luck with the decision.

Mike

Old 09-26-2000, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

Nice pics Andy. I have to admit those 27 inchers look mighty appealing. I think that's a lot like I want my cat to look like.

Thanks also Boner for the internet tips, Never to old to learn.

Lance

Old 09-26-2000, 08:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Cowboy, if you want any answers to those polaris questions, go to that forum. I made a million questions over there. Tons of answers, enough to choke a camel.

These pics were just a quick set I did one night around the house when I had the Cat out for sale. I wanted to have pics of it in case I sold it. I'd like to remember it. That spot where the spinning is going on, I went right on out after I took the picture. Just gave it more throttle. I sat there and spun on purpose though because I wanted a picture of the 3 wheeling affect. If I didn't have the Tri-Claws on the back, I wouldn't have made it. You can't tell, but the bottom of that thing is real uneven, and if you try with any momentum, you are going over in a heartbeat. Thats no rough spot, just this little thing that I play on when I want to go ride the Cat for 10 minutes or so. We never went to any hills or rough spots due to time and daylight. I have a few pics in the rocks that were good, but it was too dark and they didn't come out good.
The picture of the Cat on that small dirtpile is right about 10 yards away from the 3 wheeling place. You will drag the bottom out going over it, but its fun because of the steepness, even though it only lasts a second. The kimpex just about hits every time on that. The other pic where I'm coming back up onto the road is also a fun little 5 second spot. Worn down to where its easy now, but when I first went through, it was scary as hell. Needless to say, the rain made that one ten times easier. I spun out on it every time I tried, and eventually, it got washed down to the point that it was a bit more level and I could hit it faster. My favorite pic is the one with the 300 side by side. Poor thing looks so tiny now.

Old 09-27-2000, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

Andy:
Boy, I guess, you ought to be an expert on the SP500 by now! Looks like you got a lot of good advice though. I must admit, I liked that one of the AC & Honda side by side too. Almost felt bad for a minute though-looks like a RC car next to the big 'Cat!

Does your front bumper hit much with that lower drop piece? It looks like it sticks out a couple inches more in front, then with the lower extension, it seems it may effect coming into and out of ditches and such. I may have already asked you that, if so I seem to have forgotten. I just put on a set of accessory lights up front, and with the type of riding I do, I often run over small sapplings and other trees up to a couple inches in diameter. I'd kind of like to add a bumper up there to stick out a little past the lights, so they won't take the direct impact. Also, does the rear bumper drop down far enough to cover your muffler? I couldn't quite tell from the pics, and plan to install some reverse lights dropping down off the rear rack, on each side of the break light, which would hopefully fit right in the middle of the bumper opening, thus allowing light through, and still protecting from damage, should I back into something.

Take care,

Mike

Old 09-27-2000, 02:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

That bumper does alter approach angles some. I always check though just to make sure. I have had to back out of a couple creekbeds to keep from hitting it. It would add protection to lights though. The rear does cover the muffler. I meant to get a rear shot, but ran out of film. In fact, the exhaust hits the bumper and makes a harley sound. Sounds like it has glass packs on it. It also heats it up and makes the end caps come out of the bumper. I cut grooves in them and JB Welded them in so I wouldn't lose them. Won't do it on yours because it has the turned down tip on the end of the muffler. I have one backup light mounted to the frame to the left of the storage box, and the bumper doesn't affect it. There is a wide space between the bars so it won't hurt much. Problem with the bumpers is they take away the ability to carry it in the back of a shortbed truck without putting the tailgate down. Even one bumper does that though.

Old 09-27-2000, 02:51 AM
Pro Rider

I'm glad you posted the pics with the bumpers on there. I wasn't quite sure how they'd look on the 'Cat, compared to what they look like in the catalogs. They do make it look pretty tough though. You don't happen to know what your 'Claws weigh do you? They are a mean looking tire on there, definately gives the 'Cat an "attitude". What made you decide to go with them, I didn't think you did a lot of strait mud riding? I'm still really leaning towards the Mud Bugs myself. I'm really having a hard time getting over that weight issue, and power loss. Granted, you probably wouldn't be able to tell between tires, unless it was compared to the 28" vamps, but it's just a mental thing I guess. Don't want to run into any problems with the 'Cat and over sized tires, like I did with my Chev with 38"s. Had to put 3/4 ton breaks and axle underneath, turbo 400 trans with cooler, 350 bored .060 over, and one ton u-joints to keep from breaking everything. Nice thing was the u-joints were my "weak" spot, so they'd go out before anything else would. Used to mud a lot in it, and run the rivers. Lots of fun, but paid for the damages often.

As for the fitting in the back of a truck-I won't own another shortbox again. By the time you put in a tool box, there's only a couple feet left over, and you really can't haul anything with that. My Dad and I have been talking about trading in the suburban for the '01 Chevy Duramax Diesel as soon as it comes out this fall. That will definately be an impressive truck! I need to finish school though, then get a "real" job, so I can afford to make the payments. Just won't happen right now, paying for school, car, rent, insurance, child support, utilities, etc., all with NO job. Can't wait till December, then it's on!

Mike

Quick Reply: Pictures are up