Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

broken belt, clutch kit & spring

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005 | 12:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default broken belt, clutch kit & spring

I disagree with the assessment that the Dayco belt isn't very good. I went through several factory belts in no time, riding in sand and extremely rough terrain. I have had the Dayco through many trials, and no problems at all. I also have the EPI black secondary spring, which I recommend. Otherwise, a stock 2004 AC650.

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2005 | 10:36 PM
|
Trailblazer

i am now on info overload!!!!!!!!!!!!! been reshearching as much as i can and talkink to some folks, i think i am going to put in the two springs as soon as i fiqure out what color to use, soon as i get the dealer to install the belt, and then put a dynatek cdi on it but going to do the springs SOON.

arcticcop i would love to have that number

thanks for the input guys[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-30-2005 | 05:48 AM
Pro Rider

Daltons number is 902-897-0117

Old 03-30-2005 | 08:34 PM
|
Trailblazer

heyyou, thanks for posting that number, but i orderd from epi today before i got it. got red secondary and pink primary coming, along with tool to take pully off so i can change belt. going to order dyna cdi next week

thanks for all ya'll's help[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2005 | 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

tool to take pully off? you didn't order a clutch puller did you? or did you order the clutch compressor for the secondary clutch? you can put in the primary spring without pulling the clutch i think it is 8 bolts to take the cover off and the spring has 0 tension on it so you pull it out put the new one in and you are done. if you ordered the compression tool for the secondary clutch my bad i misunderstood. and you can make your own i did with metal piping and some washers bolts and a big lag bolt it is a pretty simple designwell good luck it makes a big difference once you get that belt tightened up and the dynatek cdi you will absolutely love it and wonder how you got along without it.

Old 03-31-2005 | 07:12 AM
|
Trailblazer

hey weez 440, the tool i orderd is the tool that will pull the front pully off as i have to change belts. how do you like your spings?

Old 03-31-2005 | 02:37 PM
Trailblazer

Springs are a nice addition, you will not regeret changing them, but proper belt deflection and maintenance is a must.

A few things that will give you some good belt milage. (my odometer is at 650 miles and I'm still running a stock belt)

1) Clean both the primary and secondary with brake cleaner.
2) Only use small amounts of grease while installing the dowels in the secondary. Grease should not be used anywhere else.
3) Belt width - min 29 mm
4) Belt tension - 23mm-24mm range
5) A minimal amount of cherping on occasion is a good thing.
6) The belt will usually slip on the primary first, so that's were a stiffer spring will make a uge difference.

Shims come in 0.6, 0.8, 1.0 and 1.4mm thick. For every 0.1mm shim, deflection will change by approximatly 1.45mm with a stock belt.

Good Luck!

Old 03-31-2005 | 09:05 PM
|
Trailblazer

so my springs will be here tomorrow, after doing more research am i to understand that you have to have
the pully compresser toll to remove the pully to put the secodary sping in?????????????

Old 03-31-2005 | 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

You can walk the belt off with your hands,don't really need a special tool,kinda hard and be careful.

You just take the nut off the secondary and slide it off the shaft,then use your spring compressor to get the c-clip off and change the spring.

The primary is the easy one,the centre bolt is left-hand threads,remember that one.Loosen all the bolts in the circle a little at a time and take the spring out and put the new one in.

You should put a little grease on the secondary shaft to keep it from rusting.

Old 03-31-2005 | 09:34 PM
|
Trailblazer

ok, it's the compression tool i don't have. nyroc's web site has pic of one i can make. i will have to try that. thanks for the tip about greasing the shaft!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: broken belt, clutch kit & spring