Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

broken belt, clutch kit & spring

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005 | 02:05 PM
Trailblazer
Default broken belt, clutch kit & spring

Hey Plainsman - A buddy had a bad experience with grease. Put to much on and it got all over his pulley and belt after riding. You need just enough on the dowels and the shaft so the secondary opens and closes smoothly and so that it doesn't seize on the shaft.

Not really a big issue but nice to know if your a beginner with this kawi transmision. You probably don't need to worry about this with a 2003 P650. You must know this tranny inside out.

Old 04-05-2005 | 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: GreenGoblin2
Hey Plainsman - A buddy had a bad experience with grease. Put to much on and it got all over his pulley and belt after riding. You need just enough on the dowels and the shaft so the secondary opens and closes smoothly and so that it doesn't seize on the shaft.

Not really a big issue but nice to know if your a beginner with this kawi transmision. You probably don't need to worry about this with a 2003 P650. You must know this tranny inside out.

ehhe, Im just a guppie at tearing this thing to pieces too. You would really have to go wild with grease in there to get it on your belt and pullies. The service manual only talks about grease on the dowels and the slides, never mentions anything about the shaft itself. I did however lightly grease the shaft to prevent rust. Brake cleaner works wonders for any little drips or greasy fingers.

One question for you cat guys, my local Cat dealer (gander mtn) doesnt have 142/145 jets in stock, he said the 650 cats twins used 110s/115s? Is that true? I would assume we share the same carbs as well?

Thanks Goblin

Old 04-05-2005 | 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

The cats run 122 jets front and rear.The prairies have a bigger carb than the cats.

Old 04-05-2005 | 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

Interesting, wonder what he was saying about 110/115?

Funny that the cats are different? I assume its a Klein (sp) carb not a Mic ? Maybe the gearings are different.

If you run a smaller carb, what kind of low/high top speeds you guys get? Stock I get 43/64. At 43 in low I bounce my rev limiter, high is on the tar and flat.

Around here there are a lot more cats running around than Prairies, and a TON more Polari than anything. Im sure it helps both Cat/Polari are built in the state.

Old 04-05-2005 | 09:27 PM
|
Trailblazer

the carbs are KEHEIN

i just had my dealer order new jets for me, same as HEYYOU has. also orderd DYNATEK cdi box today along with snorkel kit from vdi. after installing the clutch springs last weekend and installing these new mods i will think my weeler is new. had it all shipped next day air cuase just can't wait.

Old 04-05-2005 | 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

the only good thing about having some form of partnership with kawi is the motor the 650 is an awesome motor out of the crate i got about 48 mph low and i hit 68 a couple times in high range. but the limp mode thing kawi's design is junk should be throwen away. the tranny is just rediculous who needs to go darn near 50 mph in low range? the whole thing is just screwy. the clutching system wow i mean why should people have to put in clutch kits and dynatek cdi's in a brand new machine so they don't have trouble? at least EPI, DAHLTON and Dynatek made lots of money off the 650's. oh yeah i can't forget it is a good thing we got kawi's front diff lock. and i don't like the idea of using a plastic clutch cover after having the duramatic tranny and clutching from the arctic cat with the metal clutch cover that was the only way to go. i used to like kawi but they are put on the side of something i will never own in my life again. but i do bow down to the motor.

Old 04-06-2005 | 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: weez440
the only good thing about having some form of partnership with kawi is the motor the 650 is an awesome motor out of the crate i got about 48 mph low and i hit 68 a couple times in high range. but the limp mode thing kawi's design is junk should be throwen away. the tranny is just rediculous who needs to go darn near 50 mph in low range? the whole thing is just screwy. the clutching system wow i mean why should people have to put in clutch kits and dynatek cdi's in a brand new machine so they don't have trouble? at least EPI, DAHLTON and Dynatek made lots of money off the 650's. oh yeah i can't forget it is a good thing we got kawi's front diff lock. and i don't like the idea of using a plastic clutch cover after having the duramatic tranny and clutching from the arctic cat with the metal clutch cover that was the only way to go. i used to like kawi but they are put on the side of something i will never own in my life again. but i do bow down to the motor.
Your right, there are some issues. But there is nothing really out there better. You see the May Dirtwheels, the Prairie700 won again beating the big Zuke. Thats a heck of a testiment that a carb SRA quad is picked over an EFI IFS quad.

Its like when I bought my GMC HD, there are things I dont like but it had the fewest negatives. Nothing is going to be perfect. I dont have a CDI, and I only have a black secondary spring simply if the belt gets wet again Ill get better grip. My quad with the needles shimmed .04 will wheelie so Im pretty content for a stock utility quad.

I dont think the 03+ kawis limp anymore unless you throw that belt switch, I agree that was a stupid thing when the belt hit 100 hours.

Things I like.
-engine brake
-engine
-sra
-encased rear brake
-easy maintainence

Things I dont like.
-playing with air screws
-suspension is squishy, be nice if it were adjustable
-a solid efi would be nice
-better airflow accross the engine when working
-washers should be attached to the bolts!
-plastic cvt cover (incase of detonation)
-9" ground clearance

Old 04-06-2005 | 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

i agree with you on the engine braking alot of times i don't even need to use my brakes, and mine will stand it right up on the back rack in one spot it has mad low end grunt. don't get me wrong i love my machine i am trying to financially figure out a way to keep this one and buy my brand new one but i dunno if i can keep it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] my lil 650 will always be my sexy lil peace of machinery in my eyes. it is just a couple things that kawi had that they put on the 650 that i don't like. but then again we can't have the best of everything well when it came to buying a truck i did get the best of everything cause my truck in my eyes is perfect [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]