Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Artic Cat 400 Horse power questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 06:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Artic Cat 400 Horse power questions

Yeah, racing isn't my thing. But when it's loaded down and I'm trying to come up out of a creek bottom, I need some torque to get me out. And how are the belts? I've heard different stories. One said that I should leave it in low when I'm just crawling through the brush with the dogs on the back (loaded down in otherwords) and it would be easier on the tranny/belt? But when I had it in low the other day, no load, it seemed looowwwwwwwwww, way too low for driving around for very long on hard pack stuff? I'll try to figure out how to post on here this evening, wvery board is different and I haven't looked to see how this board does it. I've got some good pics you'd enjoy.

Old 08-25-2005, 07:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: doggoneit
Yeah, racing isn't my thing. But when it's loaded down and I'm trying to come up out of a creek bottom, I need some torque to get me out. And how are the belts? I've heard different stories. One said that I should leave it in low when I'm just crawling through the brush with the dogs on the back (loaded down in otherwords) and it would be easier on the tranny/belt? But when I had it in low the other day, no load, it seemed looowwwwwwwwww, way too low for driving around for very long on hard pack stuff? I'll try to figure out how to post on here this evening, wvery board is different and I haven't looked to see how this board does it. I've got some good pics you'd enjoy.
The only story about the 400 and 500 belts I've heard is that they are bullet proof and good for up to 10,000 miles.

Old 08-25-2005, 10:33 PM
Trailblazer

Your word is good enough for me, thanks.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Trailblazer

doggoneit: I have a 05 AC400 auto I can get to 50MPH but why it's a power machine (after 250 miles she really woke up), the girlfriend bought a Kodiak400 over the 400 outlander, sure her's is faster but I feel mine is a true work utility, hers is a trail riding machine. So she goes around the hill I go over it. Every one knows AC is a grunty machine not a speed deamon thats the DVX, but I paid 750 less got more stuff winch, oil change kit, helmet, and I feel I have a better built machine, I like her Yamaha it's fun but her plastic is already ripped from a small mistake on her part but the cat shruged it off and with only a few scratchs, I'll take that any day. Plus my dealer treats me like a friend and takes care of me and my machine, hers is like a car sales man. I tried to get her to buy a cat but she just didn't like it, the 300 was perfect size but she wanted a auto, from what I've seen minus the machines I'll buy a cat hands down just on service.

Both are good machines, it depends on what you want to do, work/trail(CAT) or trail(yama)

Old 08-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for positive input Cattywompus, I want a work horse. I need the torque on the low end more than I need the speed on the top end. Check out my pictures, I don't think my dogs would care to hit 60 mph while riding shotgun. hehehe

Old 08-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: doggoneit
Thanks for positive input Cattywompus, I want a work horse. I need the torque on the low end more than I need the speed on the top end. Check out my pictures, I don't think my dogs would care to hit 60 mph while riding shotgun. hehehe
Nice picts doggoneit! The 400 will be perfect, just be sure to put 300 miles on it the first weekend you get it, this will break it in nice and good.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Cat, I liked your photo album as well. Little jealous though, I couldn't get my wife to move to Alaska back in '90. A helo mech can always get work up there. And I see that you load your AC down with gear as we do. Aren't ATV's awesome machines?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-12-2005, 03:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Doggoneit

As long as you use low range while crawling through tough terrein, mud, or carrying a load (I wouldn't think hauling a few dogs on your rack would be considered much of a load) you'll be OK. I bear bait every year and often haul one to two hundred pounds of bait on tight and hilly trails. When I hit those trails I automatically put it in low. I should add that when I'm on those types of trails I always use low gear whether I have a load or not. Low gear seems too low but it's accually not that bad. I go plenty fast in low.

I have around 500 miles on my 400I and over 1000 on the 500I.

Good luck.

Old 09-12-2005, 03:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Doggoneit

Use low when hauling any load or on tight, hilly trails, mud, or the like. If your on level ground I wouldn't think a few dogs on your rack would necessarly constitute using low gear.

Good luck