Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

A/C 400 Oil Cooler Design Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C 400 Oil Cooler Design Problem

ok - seriously now...
There are skid-plate - radiator protection accessories for the 400
see Highlifter

Old 04-28-2005, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer

Man...you guys are grumpy!! Nothing like a forum on any subject to get the opinions of the opinionated. I havnt been here in about 6 mos, and I dont remember it being this brutal around here.

I would have to agree with the majority about who is responsible in this case. EXCEPT that instead of being a jerk about it, Id have to say that I do feel your pain. The cooler does indeed stick out. While I wouldnt say that it is a design "flaw", it does create a possibility of an issue (your case in point). I dont think it is a "flaw" because it doesnt affect the performance of the machine. IE it doesnt make it over heat, or make the breaks fail or the headlight to fall off etc. It only becomes an issue when the operator MAKES it an issue by hitting something. This can be called operator error. Artcic Cat didnt force you to ride down that paricular trail and hit that branch in that particular way. It doesnt sound like you were abusing your machine, and Im not saying you were. Things happen to our machines when doing things they were designed to do. It just happens sometimes. BUT I would agree that the mahine could be made better, if that design issue were corrected. But wanting AC to fix your machine because of that would be like saying you want them to cover a punctured tire. I hit a sharp branch a while back and put it through the inner side wall of my front right tire. It really sucked, and I wished the sidewalls were thicker, but ultimately it was my fault. Just plain bad luck. In your case AC does a pretty good job of protecting the majority of the cooler. Just plain dumb luck you it yours like you did. Bet it wouldnt happen again if you tried.

So I feel your pain, as we all do. We've all had wierd things happen that we wished wouldnt. Some more expensive than others.

And guys...PLEASE be a bit more polite to eachother. I come here for good advice from people who have been aorund and know what they are talking about. I know sometimes I say stupid things, or sound like a raving idiot. I ask stupid questions, as do we all (not saying this was a stupid question). But remember this.... we are all here because we have a love for Arctic Cat ATVs, and a love for riding them. We all come into problems that we need help with. We all have frusterations we need to vent about. We all see things from one perspective until someone points out a different one. Lets point out the different perspective or opinion in a way that doesnt enflame everyone. Your mothers would be ashamed!

Old 04-28-2005, 11:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bkcntyxplr
Man...you guys are grumpy!! Nothing like a forum on any subject to get the opinions of the opinionated. I havnt been here in about 6 mos, and I dont remember it being this brutal around here. Your mothers would be ashamed!
We don't real like people who refuse to accept resonsibility for their actions and want to blame others for their on stupidity. And nope my mother can't stand stupidty any better than I can. Where do you think I learned it?

Old 04-30-2005, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

[[ have a new ('04) Arctic Cat 400 & recently ran into a stick or something that caught the bottom corner of the oil cooler. The bottom corners of the oil cooler stick outside the frame by over an inch, a design flaw to me. The hit from the stick caused the cooler to tear open & dump all it's oil. Arctic Cat denies that they have a problem with the design. Has anyone else out there had a similar problem with their oil cooler? I can't believe I'm the only person this has happened to. Thanx, BigThicket]]

BT

According to Webster

Design.........
to create, fashion, execute, or construct according to plant

Flaw............

an imperfection or weakness and especially one that detracts from the whole or hinders effectiveness

So by definition

It’s not unreasonable to suppose that AC constructed / design the oilier cooler according a plan.
Nor is unreasonable to concur having the oil cooler extending be on the frame exposing the component to probable damage during typical / anticipated use undoubtedly hinders effectiveness.
So I’m in your camp DESIGN FLAW. I don’t think that AC has any accountability because it’s not a blatant safety flaw.

Shonk

Old 04-30-2005, 11:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Theshonk
[[ have a new ('04) Arctic Cat 400 & recently ran into a stick or something that caught the bottom corner of the oil cooler. The bottom corners of the oil cooler stick outside the frame by over an inch, a design flaw to me. The hit from the stick caused the cooler to tear open & dump all it's oil. Arctic Cat denies that they have a problem with the design. Has anyone else out there had a similar problem with their oil cooler? I can't believe I'm the only person this has happened to. Thanx, BigThicket]]

BT

According to Webster

Design.........
to create, fashion, execute, or construct according to plant

Flaw............

an imperfection or weakness and especially one that detracts from the whole or hinders effectiveness

So by definition

It’s not unreasonable to suppose that AC constructed / design the oilier cooler according a plan.
Nor is unreasonable to concur having the oil cooler extending be on the frame exposing the component to probable damage during typical / anticipated use undoubtedly hinders effectiveness.
So I’m in your camp DESIGN FLAW. I don’t think that AC has any accountability because it’s not a blatant safety flaw.

Shonk
The only flaws we are dealing with here are flawed thinking and denial. If it was truely a design flaw, on a system in use for 3 years, it would have been brought up before. It hasn't, so by any law of probablity it can't be. And Theshonk is still in denial and has decided to blame AC for all his troubles in this world.

Old 05-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider

[[[[The only flaws we are dealing with here are flawed thinking and denial. If it was truely a design flaw, on a system in use for 3 years, it would have been brought up before. It hasn't, so by any law of probablity it can't be. And Theshonk is still in denial and has decided to blame AC for all his troubles in this world.]]]]

[[[. If it was truely a design flaw, on a system in use for 3 years, it would have been brought up before.]]]

Talk about denial it has been brought up numerous times

]] If it was truely a design flaw, on a system in use for 3 years, it would have been brought up before. It hasn't,]]]

By that logic there was no design flaw after a 20 years and over 120 launches of the space shuttle.

[[[so by any law of probability]]]

You are referring to many laws of probability. Just name one and explain correctly.

]]] Theshonk is still in denial and has decided to blame AC for all his troubles in this world.]]]

I thought you were coming up to visit.

We just brought an AC 400 for the lovely after reading the post I had something to look at.
In my “troubled world” the chance my wife will damage her machine with her riding style is zip. That still does not change my professional analysis. What interest me are the rationalization AC staffs used to make the decision. That window would enlighten us to what drives AC.

Shonk

Old 05-01-2005, 02:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

[[[[The only flaws we are dealing with here are flawed thinking and denial. If it was truely a design flaw, on a system in use for 3 years, it would have been brought up before. It hasn't, so by any law of probablity it can't be. And Theshonk is still in denial and has decided to blame AC for all his troubles in this world.]]]]

[[[. If it was truely a design flaw, on a system in use for 3 years, it would have been brought up before.]]]

Talk about denial it has been brought up numerous times

]] If it was truely a design flaw, on a system in use for 3 years, it would have been brought up before. It hasn't,]]]

By that logic there was no design flaw after a 20 years and over 120 launches of the space shuttle.

[[[so by any law of probability]]]

You are referring to many laws of probability. Just name one and explain correctly.

]]] Theshonk is still in denial and has decided to blame AC for all his troubles in this world.]]]

I thought you were coming up to visit.

We just brought an AC 400 for the lovely after reading the post I had something to look at.
In my “troubled world” the chance my wife will damage her machine with her riding style is zip. That still does not change my professional analysis. What interest me are the rationalization AC staffs used to make the decision. That window would enlighten us to what drives AC.

Shonk
Crap, I wish I was perfect like you and could never be wrong, but that would require that I have nothing left to learn. I have much to learn, but of course you know everthing and can't possibly be wrong. I suppose you are dumbcrat who know everthing and the hell with the facts.

Old 05-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

Big Ticket
Posted a reasonable opinion

Now Teddy Bear make the following inspirational statements.

[[ jamming sticks above your lower frame rails]]]
[[[ like operator error.]]]
[[[Lets get this straight, YOU]]]
[[[YOUR response is, "It ain't MY fault]]]
[[[, so I will blame AC and sue them.]]]
[[[ an abuse issue ]]]
[[[ You are just the kind of guy lawyers love]]]
[[[, he will make big bucks]]]
[[[ YOU will probaly lose and cost AC big bucks]]]
[[[YOU will not admit ]]]
[[[YOU did something wrong]]]
[[[ Grow up ]]]
[[[accept responsibility for what you did]]]
[[[ you will sue because it didn't have automatic outriggers]]]
[[I'm an IDIOT?]]]
[[[ first to whime about it?]]]
[[[only idiot here is you]]]
[[[ abusive riding style]]]
[[[ pull your head out of your rectum first)]]]
[[[quit crying like a baby]]]
[[[You have a mouth on you that in the real world will get you in major trouble]]]
[[[you are a law suit monger]]]
[[[blame others for their on stupidity]]]
[[[flawed thinking and denial]]]
[[[blame AC for all his troubles in this world.]]]
[[[Crap, I wish I was perfect like you]]]
[[[you know everthing and can't possibly be wrong]]]
[[[dumbcrat who know everthing]]]
[[[hell with the facts]]]

This tells a heartbreaking chronicle our hearts go out to you

Shonk

Just for the record there is no way I am or have ever been a “dumbcra” Not even in the 60’s when you were hitting the bottle hard.

Old 05-01-2005, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

all you had to say was i'm sorrey

Old 05-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Big Ticket

Just for the record there is no way I am or have ever been a “dumbcra” Not even in the 60’s when you were hitting the bottle hard.
Show what you don't know. I spent the first half of the 60's in High School and the second half getting shot at. You sound like a dumbcrat, "I'm never wrong and I know best." "Don't confuse me with the facts, I already made up my mind." seems to be your matra.

Quick Reply: A/C 400 Oil Cooler Design Problem