Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Oil for Auto's

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 12:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil for Auto's

I've been doing alot of reading on oil filters and air filters, plus the seach here seems to have this topic alot but for manuals. I was wondering does anyone use a different type of oil in their autos besides AC oil? If so could you share your info or has it been posted somewhere and I just missed it. I still have sometime before synthetic oil so I've been trying to make a list incase my dealer is out. Plus is it cheaper?

I have a 05 400 auto 150 miles so far it's been great.

Old 04-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default Oil for Auto's

I just put in the AC synthetic and ac(kawasaki) oil filter. Just bought the Kit that they sell at the dealer. The only thing I didn't like is that the oil is 0W-30. I asked if that was fine or if I should get the Kawisaki oil, since they have 5w-30, but the dealer told me AC recommends the 0-30 now. Maybe it will help mine start next winter, since it should be thinner at cold temps???

Old 04-25-2005, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Oil for Auto's

Hi Arctic Cat all so has synthetic 0-40 wt as a kit filter and oil or just oil along pn (0436-451)

Old 04-26-2005, 05:42 AM
Trailblazer
Default Oil for Auto's

Maybe it was 0w-40 that I got. Whatever it was, it was the only stuff they had available.

Old 04-27-2005, 03:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default Oil for Auto's

Thanks for the replys, but I was looking for more info on just plain oil, as the dealer here sells AC 10w-40 and synthetic which I haven't started looking at because I only have 162 miles on my cat. I know other companies make oil like polaris, honda, etc. Does anyone know if it's the same as car oil? If so has anyone tried it and liked it , what brand? I know car oil is a no no for manuals but no one has said anything about auto's.

Old 04-27-2005, 04:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Oil for Auto's

As far as Ive read, theres no definete link with moly and wet clutches, but theres alot of anecodotal evidence. If you look in the owners manual, it should say something like Service rating of SG or newer. And if its like my yamaha, it just says that...and nothing else. So that means synthetic can be put in when ever you want, or dino oil. It does not say to avoid oils with moly...but most people do. Just look for the energy concerving star burst symbol..it it has that, then it has moly added.
The cat autos (except the 650, because its a kawi system), which have suzuki motors, have a wet centrifical clutch. So avoid moly for them, too. Supposedly the centrifical clutch is more sensitive to moly then the clutch pack of a manual is. But it wouldnt be the end of the world if you put car oil in it.
There are many choices for oil, and the prices vary widely. If the containers have the same rating, like SG, then chemically they are the same. One might have more of a certain additive, but they meet the same guidelines for contents. Let your wallet decide how much you want to spend.
Its funny how most people dont change their own oil in their $30,000 trucks, but go to the quick change place and have a high school kid put 30 cent a quart oil into a $10,000 motor, and dont give it a thought. But when it comes to a $5000 quad with a $800 motor...it needs 5 dollar a quart oil. As long as it meets the minimum requirements, in the owners manual....use it. There no need to wait a certain period of time to use synthetic oil, lots of motors come from the factory with synthetic oil in them brand new.

Old 04-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Trailblazer
Default Oil for Auto's

Honda......tell me where u can buy an engine for $800......any way ......why would anyone worry about the price of a couple qts. of oil....why not use the ac kitsa and make sure u have no warnanty problems.....and ac recomends that we use the ac. synthetic .at lewast up here where we ahve dramatic weather changes.....for example it was 70 an Sat.today it is 35.............but any way i would recomend chnging to the synthetic oil...........good luck with your choice.