Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

????'s about storage trunk for cat

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 05:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ????'s about storage trunk for cat

Hello fellow catters!!!

I am looking at getting a storage trunk for my 2001 400. I am looking at going with Moose but can't determine between the Presidential or the Executive. The cat dealer down here is actually giving me a break on the price so I get it through him and not online[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Nice of him huh. Anyway just wondering if any of you had a Moose trunk and what you think. Thanks for your reply

Marla

Old 04-27-2005, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Those are both fake 2nd seats and they are both 1) not safe to carry a rider and 2) a waste of good storage space. I recommend the Tamarack trunks as they are tough as nails and are not fake seats that allow the rider weight to be placed to far behind over above the rear axle. The moose seats dont' really have that much room in them. The Kolpin trunks are popular also because of the space they provide.

You can save $10,000+ in medical bills by using a quad built for two riders. Bombardier and Arctic Cat both make them. I wish I had earlier.

Old 04-27-2005, 03:19 AM
Pro Rider

WhoDat, is right the Tamarack trunks are very nice. They are very comfy to sit on while the machine is parked. I could not reccomend using it or any other second seat for passengers unless the trail or ground is fairly flat. If you want to ride Two-up get a TRV its designed for it. If you are looking for a back Rest and have an MRP rack you can get the same back rest as the TRV to lean back against when you stop to rest.

SJ

Old 04-27-2005, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

I ride 2 on my 400 all the time as well as almost everyone we ride with and it is fine, never had a problem and we ride everything up here, mud, snow, bumpy trails, off camber trails, you get the picture, you just have to be extra careful and dont push it, if it looks like it might be really nasty, someone gets off and walks a bit (usually the wife [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ) and we just both sit on the seat and have a moose backrest on the back rack.

Old 04-27-2005, 01:05 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys. I know that they are not a "seat", but really they shouldn't make them to look like a seat. I don't know maybe that's just my thought. I don't NEED something like that to rest on while I am riding. When I look at all the pictures and what you guys ride through makes me look like I am 150 years old riding!!! NOthing too extreme here, but being the mother of 4 I gotta be careful!!! Thanks for your input. Happy trails
Marla

Old 04-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: doober
I ride 2 on my 400 all the time as well as almost everyone we ride with and it is fine, never had a problem and we ride everything up here, mud, snow, bumpy trails, off camber trails, you get the picture, you just have to be extra careful and dont push it, if it looks like it might be really nasty, someone gets off and walks a bit (usually the wife [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ) and we just both sit on the seat and have a moose backrest on the back rack.
Your mixing apples with oranges. Your back rest keeps riders forward of the rear axle and on the seat. These Moose seats put the rider on top of or even behind the rear axle with creates a rearward CG problem that is actually a leading cuase of injury - two riders on a single rider quad.

And - its NEVER a problem until your waiting for the ambulance to get their.

Several issues come into play.
One - with two people on a single rider quad (SRQ) egress from the machine if it tips over or rolls is much more difficult. One person almost has to wait for the other to move out of the way. There is no time to wait so someone is likely to get the machine on top of them. You will be on the horns of delima between providing a pax back rest vs. keeping a rear exit clear for egress.

Two - if the pax is not moving forward on a steep incline - but is instead resting comfortably against the back rest - there is little the driver can do to counteract that short of sitting on the front rack. Rearward weight distribution is critical with short wheel based SRQ's. The additional wheel base of the factory designed two rider quads makes a HUGE difference.

Three - the pax has to have strong and secure hand grips and foot rests that let them have a good 3 inches of clearance from the seat to the inseam when standing on the foot rests. The pax can either add to the balance effort or substancialy take away from it. It isnt much help if limited only to the hand grips. You cant hang on and lean all that much without good leg support.

Four - Stability. You may have to upgrade the springs to stop the machine from rolling in turns. The stock springs are not designed for two riders plus gear. Rolling to the side and or being thrown off the back of the machine represents 40% of ATV accidents.

Most State laws will not recognize a non-factory designed two rider ATV. You can modify it all you want - but it doesn't state "carry no more than ONE passenger" you may be in trouble. In some States ATV violations are being reported as motor vehicle violations to insurance companies and can cost thousands of dollars in increased premiums.

My official opinion is to use a quad designed for two riders. Your wife, kids, friends or other pax deserve the safety considerations and other design enhancements that are built into the 2up quads. You can compromise - but it is a compromise to their safety and a risk to your wallet.