Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

First ATVs to cross Tin Cup pass 2005

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 08:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First ATVs to cross Tin Cup pass 2005

This is just a testimonial for the little 300 4x4 AC. On July 12 this year Tin Cup pass in CO. was still closed to ATVs. The snow near the summet extended out over the trail and only a few dirt bikes had made it though. Many larger ATVs had tried, but were unable to cross the snow. As the 3 of us made our way up the trail we probably met 30 or more ATVs coming back down that hadnt made it or were afraid to try. When we got to the top there were 2 Jeeps that had tried but failed, but the drivers were determind to see someone get though and offered to spot us. With their help my buddy on a 2002 3004x4 was first to make it, then myself and then my wife made it on our matching 2001 300 4x4s. When we got to Frenchies in Tin Cup the owner gave us all a free meal for opening the pass. He said it would double his business, and 2 days later it was standing room only.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-20-2005, 03:41 AM
Trailblazer

I talked to a guy at the Quartz Creek Lodge that told that exact same story, it is a small world, LOL.
It was a working trip for me, so I didn't make it to Tincup Pass, I would have like to done the snow.
I wasn't staying there but had freinds staying there right out front, I was on the red 05 500 cat.
(manual shift and love it, the 27" lightfoots were great in the rocks too)

dan

Old 07-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Trailblazer

Yep, that was me. We were staying in #2 at Quartz Creek Lodge. My buddy is still there. Hes in the pop up camper on the Nissan P.U. on the hill behind the lodge. We are back here in Okla. in 97 deg. heat. What ever happened to the BMW motorcyle that went off the trail near the Alpine Tunnel?

Old 07-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Was the snow soft? Did you just drive over it or could you drive through the snow and make ruts? Did you open it by driving through it or did you use shovels too? I was up there the week before and had contemplated trying it but the snow was too hard for me to try. If I could have driven through the snow and kept the quad level I would have been happy but the cost for going down that ledge was too much for me.

Old 07-20-2005, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

Most of the snow was hard. Near the edge it was melting. It was almost wide enough for an ATV. We of course used the extra low range in the 300s trans and 4x4. As we kept the outer wheels on the gravel at the outer edge of the road the inner wheels chewed though the snow. This was easier with the 2001s because they have been modifed to include lockers. The hard part was resisting the urge to turn the front wheels up hill into the snow as this pushes the back of the ATV out. The Jeepers knew this and kept us going straight. With out their help I dont think we would have tried it. I guess this should be a testimonial as to how all of us motorized ORVers need to stick togther, as we have plenty of enemies out there.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-23-2005, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Volvoman
This is just a testimonial for the little 300 4x4 AC. On July 12 this year Tin Cup pass in CO. was still closed to ATVs. The snow near the summet extended out over the trail and only a few dirt bikes had made it though. Many larger ATVs had tried, but were unable to cross the snow. As the 3 of us made our way up the trail we probably met 30 or more ATVs coming back down that hadnt made it or were afraid to try. When we got to the top there were 2 Jeeps that had tried but failed, but the drivers were determind to see someone get though and offered to spot us. With their help my buddy on a 2002 3004x4 was first to make it, then myself and then my wife made it on our matching 2001 300 4x4s. When we got to Frenchies in Tin Cup the owner gave us all a free meal for opening the pass. He said it would double his business, and 2 days later it was standing room only.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Sounds like a good story for a book. I think I found this place on my DeLorme Topo maps. Is this where County Road 287 ends @ 12500 feet above sea level? I'd sure like to know more about the riding oppertunities out there.

Is is true that CO adopted a new ATV description that makes most ATV's a off-highway vehicle and not legal for existing trails? I heard that rumor from friends visiting CO.

I'd be interested in what suggestions you might have for someone who wanted to head out to this area for a weeks vacation and riding.

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2005, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

I have not heard about any new rule concerning ATVs and their definition. I could be wrong and I will look into it - If I find out otherwise I will post again.

Old 07-24-2005, 10:23 AM
Trailblazer

Like Palaridoo, I havent heard about any new rule. You do need to have a permit for your ATV, but thats about it. Go to www.parks.state.co.us .They will send you every thing you need. The riding is great, but the local people are even better. Pitkin is a great little town much like the one on the T.V. show "Northern Exposure". You friends may have been feed some misinfrmation from a terriest group known as treehugers.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]