Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

mud flaps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 06:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mud flaps?

I was wondering, meant to ask Bear and I forgot, about the mud flaps on the old body style. I know the newer models have the integrated fenders/floorboards similar to Polaris and I like those alot. Problem is, I can't afford a 2006 model 400 so I'm going with the '05 model with the mud flaps that hang down. The poroblem I have had with this design on my Honda is that they get ripped off in the brush easily. Just crawling along, you go through scrub brush and it catches that mud flap and rips it loose from it's mounting holes. And for my bike, they are $40 a piece. I have tried modifing the flaps with additional screws and brackets but it still doesn't solve the problem. The AC dealer and I have talked about this and he said he has never had to replace one. Was just wondering if anyone has had a problem with them in the past or do they really hold up?

Old 08-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default mud flaps?

Originally posted by: doggoneit
I was wondering, meant to ask Bear and I forgot, about the mud flaps on the old body style. I know the newer models have the integrated fenders/floorboards similar to Polaris and I like those alot. Problem is, I can't afford a 2006 model 400 so I'm going with the '05 model with the mud flaps that hang down. The poroblem I have had with this design on my Honda is that they get ripped off in the brush easily. Just crawling along, you go through scrub brush and it catches that mud flap and rips it loose from it's mounting holes. And for my bike, they are $40 a piece. I have tried modifing the flaps with additional screws and brackets but it still doesn't solve the problem. The AC dealer and I have talked about this and he said he has never had to replace one. Was just wondering if anyone has had a problem with them in the past or do they really hold up?
Been thru the brush , mud and snow with mine and and even in the cold, they flex but don't break. The fender flares (same material) do the same when you lean on them real hard with a rock or a tree.

Old 08-25-2005, 07:56 PM
Trailblazer
Default mud flaps?

I have 1800 miles on my '04 and have had no problems. They've been bumped, bruised, scratched, bent, and who knows what else and are holding up fine. You could probably abuse them enough to tear them off. But that kind of abuse might take off a whole fender. I don't think you need to worry about it.

Old 08-25-2005, 10:31 PM
Trailblazer
Default mud flaps?

Thanks, that helps a lot. I appreciate the input. And Bear, I posted a couple of pictures earlier in the gallery.

Old 08-26-2005, 02:47 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Default mud flaps?

They do good, I had my 2004 400 smashed against trees, stumps, and rocks hauling out my moose. I was sure something was broke, turns out only two of those plastic rivits were poped out and I was able to just pop them back in. Just like new.

Old 08-26-2005, 07:42 PM
Range Rover
Default mud flaps?

Originally posted by: Catterman
They do good, I had my 2004 400 smashed against trees, stumps, and rocks hauling out my moose. I was sure something was broke, turns out only two of those plastic rivits were poped out and I was able to just pop them back in. Just like new.
That's exactly why I like that design. If you get into a little tight spot they are a little thinner than the fender plastics so they flex. Worse case you pop a rivit. Easy fix!! On my '01 my rivits have gone before the flare actually rips but if I ever damage the flare then those can be replaced without getting into new "full" front or rear plastics. Actually having the "add on" flairs is one of the reasons I took an 05 over the 06 eventhough the 06 has a wider rack and offers more side protection.

Brent

Old 08-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Trailblazer
Default mud flaps?

I was more concerned with the flap that hangs straight down. It actually hangs loose the last 4"s or so, below the foot rest. I guess to prevent water from spalshing up onto your feet? It just seems flimsy is all? But if you guys say it's tough and reliable, I'll take your word on it.

Trending Topics

Old 08-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Range Rover
Default mud flaps?

Ahh, that one. Well, I have not had a chance to actually cristen the new 05 so I can not tell about mine. A buddy I ride with has an 05 auto and I recall thinking the same thing. He has had his since late 04. We have ridden a lot of trails together and crossed several logs with a belly slide. His are still there!!

Brent

Old 08-26-2005, 08:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default mud flaps?

I have beat the living crap out of my front mud flaps and the are still there do in their job.