Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

'06 650 V2 - Something to watch for...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 02:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 650 V2 - Something to watch for...

At least a number of people reading this forum will purchase a new V2 650, just as I have recently done. This is provided FYI. As anyone in this astute bunch knows one of the major changes between the '05s and '06s is the speedo head unit. The new speedo has a number of functions, including an odometer (of course) and two trip odometers. As near as I can tell, the odometer(s) on my '06 are off on the plus side by about 20%. I don't expect them to be perfect, but when I go on a 12 mile ride (GPS) and my odometer shows 16 miles, well, I think that is excessive.

I mentioned it to my dealer, he called AC and got the PR answer. You know the drill. He's a good guy and I trust him completely. He's bent over backwards for me in the past. He said he would call again and suggested I call. I did that Friday (9.16) and asked to be called back Monday (9.19). I don't want a new head unit if it's going to be the same as I have, but would like to swap head units and compare, if it's the same 20%, I'll shut up and be quiet, if it's less than 20%, I know I have a "bad" unit and want a replacement.

When I called I offered to AC the emissions milege warranty is 5,000 Km, or 3,100 miles. In truth, I could be showing 3,100 miles, have an emission problem that AC would not cover, but actually only have ~2,500 on the bike.

Just provided FYI for new buyers to watch. If any here have a successful way to deal with the company, I'd like to hear about it. Also, if you think I'm just whining and 20% is acceptable, let me know that also.

Old 09-17-2005, 03:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would bet the speedo is off too.

Old 09-17-2005, 07:46 PM
Trailblazer

Bear,
I've thought about that also, but haven't checked it against my GPS. I believe it to be somewhat close, certainly not off 20%. If it were off by a significant margin I'd suspect the speed sending unit, since both the speedo and odometer would be optimistic. Both my 300 4x2 (sold) and my 500i were off about 3-4 MPH. I switched speedo heads between the two in order to check if there were differences, and after the switch they were both < 1 MPH - I was surprised, but glad I'd made the switch.
One other thing the 650's speedo does when in the RPM mode (the unit can be switched among KPM, MPH, & RPM, the needle reads whichever you have selected) is not return immediately to idle RPM after a ride (the meter, not the machine). When stopping after a ride the RPM will read ~2K and then slowly return to the 12-1300 RPM I know to be correct - or at least closer. Sort of like it's hanging up. In my mind this is an annoyance vice something serious, but makes me question the RPM accuracy.
There is also a clock which I like, but I'd like elapse time. The minutes on the clock defy a normal person's ability to set. I was able to do it, but don't ask me how. Even the dealer brought it up with the words - "They need a manual on how to set this thing. What were they thinking." It's not a big deal and once set it keeps good time. I just think the whole speedo head thing could have been better thought out. It's on their 400 and larger machines and Prowler (or a version of, haven't seen a Prowler yet).
On the Polaris the various modes can be selected by pressing the Reverse Override button, a much better way, but there is probably NIH (Not Invented Here) mentality among all the mfgr's and IMO sometimes that doesn't pass the "reasonable man" test.