Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Almost drowned in the drink!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost drowned in the drink!

Well I've had my new AC 400 4X4 auto (Camo of course) for about two weeks now and had 50 fairly easy miles on it when I decided to put some "real" miles on it Saturday at a place about an hour away from home, in east Texas.
So, I'm tooling along on an easy trail and find some shallow water along the way that I navigate easily enough, when all the sudden... the bottom falls out! Now I'm burried to the fenders, can't go forward, can't go backwards, no matter what I try and eventually the engine dies and I'm stuck - up to my waist in mud, muck, mire and water. No problem, I can handle that, but guess what... I was riding alone (I know - stupid me!) and I don't yet have a winch installed on the Cat, but I do have a come-along and tow straps with me. Fortunately some wiser riders happen along and help me out of my mess, but I can't get the Cat restarted. Lift it up, drain it out, pull the spark plug - it's dry, oil is clear, carb looks dry - but still won't start. I never did pull water in through the air intake and the air box just barely has a few sprinkles of water in it - I can only guess what water came in, did so through the exhaust when the engine died. After about an hour of trying, I load it up and haul it home, but pick up a can of starting fluid along the way. After a couple of trys with the starting fluid - it's chokes to life and then runs like a champ again! Checked the oil again and it's just a little milky looking, so I drained and changed the oil and filter, then spent the rest of the day cleaning up the poor 'ol drowned cat.
In a nutshell, everything is running fine again and it appears to be no worse for wear, but I was wondering if there is something else I should do to be sure? Is there anything else I could have done to try to get it started on the spot, or something I should have done differently? Any harm in using starting fluid, because if not, I think I'll keep a can of it in the truck from now on.
Any thoughts or input (other than my being stupid for riding alone [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]) are welcome.

Old 10-10-2005, 06:25 PM
Range Rover

Riding alone can get you killed...I sold my 400-cat to my cousin a few weeks ago and friday nite he had a very close call.He was out riding alone and went on some old trail's that he hasn't been on in a couple years.One of the trails cross a stream about 2to3ft deep.Well things can change over a couple of years the bank had washed out and when he started over the edge the quad fliped back over front and traped him under the water with the large cat on top of him after some strugling he got out from under the quad...He said it was one nasty feeling being traped under water also said he would never ride alone again.....The next day we changed the oil and filter drained the gas tank(must of had a gallon of water in it) and carb. rolled her over a couple of times and the cat purrs again...

Old 10-10-2005, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

hey mag whenever i drown out my atv well it doesn't sound like you did it bad but after about 15 to 20 miles i would drain the oil again to be safe if you still have moisture in there it can pit your crank bearings and you will be S O L then. and if you ever drown it out really bad where you gotta pull the spark plug out so you can blow the water out of the head make sure you get new plugs.

Old 10-12-2005, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer

Did you drain the muffle?

Old 10-13-2005, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

There's a connector located beneath the plastic, in front of the steering shaft which connects to the ignition switch. If I remember correctly, the wires are green, blue & yellow. This plug can get water and short out. After enough water evaporates, the engine will start as thou nothing ever happened. You can do one of two things:
1. Seal the connector so it gets no moisture.
2. Cut out the connector and solder all wires.

I did #2. Up to you if you have the problem again after going through water, which to choose. My AC was two years old when this started. It's an '02 and I don't have the problem anymore.
Good luck,
Chuck

Old 10-13-2005, 06:18 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info Chuck. Would that not keep it from cranking though? It cranked just fine, but wouldn't fire. Sounds like a good idea to seal it against moisture for good measure anyway.

Old 10-13-2005, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you guys need to invest in some boat paddles[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-13-2005, 06:33 PM
Trailblazer

LOL! I believe I might be better served in saving on the boat paddles and investing it in more common sense!

What I've learned from this experience (that's the politically correct thing to do where I work - learn from our mistakes!) - don't ride alone - especially through uncharted "shallow" water!

Old 10-13-2005, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

If you get enough water in the cylinder and crank it over, you can hydra-lock it and bend the connecting rod. If I even thought I got water in, I'd take plug out and crank it over a few times to get the water out.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

You're right Mag. If the starter is cranking, it's not the same problem. you did the right thing by draining and turning over the starter. The rest is what is posted above. change the oil, air filter, etc. Don't screw around with the connector I mensioned unless you have doubts. That's my 2 cents.
Chuck

Quick Reply: Almost drowned in the drink!