Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

My 05 500 4x4 is leaking gas everywhere!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 05 500 4x4 is leaking gas everywhere!!

Originally posted by: Pitkin1
Here is the story of my 05 500 so far.
Rode about 300 miles before I found out the vent in the tank was solid plastic.
Not sure how it ran,but had to be under quite a bit of pressure when the sun was shining
on the tank and a vacuum when the pump had emptied the tank.
Now, after I haul it or leave it set for a week, it won't start.
The only way to get it to start is to take the plug out and pour a little gas in,
then it will start and run fine.
I was thinking the fuel pump was messed up due to the tank vent deal, but now maybe should be looking for plastic in the line or carb.
I also have the gas smell whenever riding.
I check on the gas tank recall, mine wasn't listed.
I got it from a dealer with a really poor service dept. but needed to trade a trailer on it and they were my only option. May have to break down and take it in.
Why not drill out the tank vent, or just take the cap off until the carb fills. Also why pull the spark plug to prime the engine? There is a manual primer on the carb.

Old 11-02-2005, 10:31 PM
Trailblazer

I did fix the vent when I found it, the starting problem was after that.
Didn't know about carb primer.

Old 11-03-2005, 03:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I did fix the vent when I found it, the starting problem was after that.
Didn't know about carb primer.
Owners manual shows you where it is at on the carb. As to the starting problem starting after you fixed the vent. Could you have gotten a piece of the plastic into the tank? An obstuction like the getting into the fuel system could cause you some grief.

Old 11-03-2005, 04:05 AM
Trailblazer

I heated a wire up and pushed it through the solid plastic that was blocking the vent on the tank,
so shouldn't have been any plastic shavings from that.

I took the plug out to check for spark and to see if it was wet with gas when it wouldn't start.
It had spark but was dry(after a lot of cranking), so poured a little gas in and it fired right up and ran good for the 3 days of riding in Colorado. When I got home, it wouldn't start to unload it and haven't touched it since.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I heated a wire up and pushed it through the solid plastic that was blocking the vent on the tank,
so shouldn't have been any plastic shavings from that.

I took the plug out to check for spark and to see if it was wet with gas when it wouldn't start.
It had spark but was dry(after a lot of cranking), so poured a little gas in and it fired right up and ran good for the 3 days of riding in Colorado. When I got home, it wouldn't start to unload it and haven't touched it since.

Well I agree with you, something isn't right. You have a fuel pump and when you crank the engine it should pump fuel into the carb float bowl. One thing I don't like about the new tank set up is no shut off valve. With altitute changes, strange things can happen, even if the tank is vented. Have you tried the carb fuel drain to see if there is fuel in the float bowl? If there is, I would suspect you have a vacuum leak after the carb and are not pulling fuel into the engine. Is it hard to start even when it does start? If there is no fuel in the carb float bowl then you either have a leak (would also cause poor fuel mileage) or maybe the bowl drain screw is not tight or sealing properly. Then it could be a fuel feed problem from the tank or a fuel pump problem.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:53 PM
KDK
Weekend Warrior

Talked to the shop earlier today about the gas flowing from the overflow vent. They found small pieces of black plastic in the carb bowl, probably from the gas tank. I’ve seen this posted here a few time too. They installed an inline gas filter hoping to eliminate the problem from happing again. He also mentioned they were prepping a 2006 for a customer and it was doing the same thing, because of the same problem. Maybe AC needs to start installing filters, sure would be cheaper then them paying for warrantee work.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

KDK,

If you don't mind me asking, do you know what kind of filter they put on (one of the Dennis Kirk $2.99 ones maybe)? And, can you tell me where they put it? I need to do the same thing.

Thanks in Advance,

R

Old 11-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I wanted a fuel filter I just picked up a general "Briggs & Stratton" at the local Hardware store. They will say how many horse power they are good for on the back. The one I chose is good for engines up to 80HP. Good enough for me and you can get them at most stores, service centers of Briggs motors around the country if you need a replacement. Just an idea based off what I did. Good luck with it.