Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

What Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Oil?

Originally posted by: scooter1967
after asking my AC dealer about what oil to use he suggested a synthetic oil even if it is the first oil change. th w warranty would still be fine.
i know with polaris i always had synthetic and worked great.

tons and tons of miles before an oil change.

if you have a synthetic for an automobile it is around 7000 miles before change and not 3000 miles

Arctic Cat recommends 300 mile oil changes with regular oil and 600 mile changes with synthetic. Quads get what is know as "rough service" and they sit alot of the time which adds the time factor to the mileage numbers.

Old 11-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default What Oil?

Originally posted by: Hoopie
you would be correct. THe amsoil 0w40 is for wet clutches and a lot of people use that in the cats with great results.

heres a link to check out
http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15239&st=15
Back in my boat racing days we had a guy actually get Amsoil for a major sponsor, very big dollars involved. He had more motor problems than the guys using the manufactures oil. He replaced engines on a double to triple the rate everyone else was. They threw a lot of money at him so he could afford it. So I have a distrust of Amsoil since then. Of course these were 2 stroke motors turning in excess of 8500 RPM, but the question has always remained in my mind. Just an observation and opinion is all.

Old 11-25-2005, 02:44 AM
Trailblazer
Default What Oil?

As a mechanic I wouldn't recommend running synthetic oil in a new machine. Valves need to seat properly, rings need to be worked in, all of which doesn't happen as quickly with synthetics. Most new vehicles don't leave the factory with synthetic oil as it inhibits proper break-in unless run for much longer durations. I ran my 650 V2 for about 400 miles before making the switch to synthetic (Amsoil 0W40 4 stroke) and have been very happy.

Just my 2 cents!

Old 11-25-2005, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider
Default What Oil?

Back in the late 70’s early 80’s Amsoil made their pitch to the company I worked for. We had hundreds of pieces of rolling stock. The potential savings was huge. We had our research center perform testing etc. Bottom line Amsoil colossal claims had no legs.

Shonk

Old 11-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default What Oil?

That was a long time ago! 25 years! I think oil companies have come a long ways since then.

Old 11-25-2005, 01:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default What Oil?

That was a long time ago! 25 years! I think oil companies have come a long ways since then.
They sure have. Big oil has singled handedly in the last year cripple not only the Us ecomomy, but the worlds economy. If you believe anything big oil says, well, I have some real low priced water front property for you near New Orleans.

I believe what the manufacture tells me to use in the engine, why, well he has to warranty that machine and he is gonna recommend the best stuff to not have a problem. That's why I am using Arctic Cat Synthetic. Go ahead and save a buck now, but I will promise you, you will pay for it big time down the road.

Old 11-25-2005, 01:59 PM
Trailblazer
Default What Oil?

Since we are incredibly off topic already, I will join in the fray. I am actually a huge fan of the Amsoil product. I run it in every vehicle I own and feel it is the best stuff out there. In my Dodge diesel I run Amsoil and I just changed oil for the first time in a year and a half last month. When I drained my last oil, it had been run for about 39000 km. Instead of following the manufacturers recommended drain intervals, I take samples of my oil and send it to a lab for analysis (and change oil filters every 3 months). I took a year and a half and 39000 km before the Amsoil had broke down enough that it was worth changing it. Other synthetics i've done this with as well, but all other oils were due to be changed by closer to 25000 km. I've got the sampling records to prove it.

Keep in mind that Artic Cat is not an oil producer, or refiner. There oil is refined by one of the other major refiners and is repackaged with their label. With that said, I believe the majore reason Arctic Cat puts their label on a quart of oil is to make a profit. They find an oil that is acceptable for their machines, put their label on it, and double the price.

Cheers

Old 11-25-2005, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default What Oil?

"Keep in mind that Artic Cat is not an oil producer, or refiner. There oil is refined by one of the other major refiners and is repackaged with their label. With that said, I believe the majore reason Arctic Cat puts their label on a quart of oil is to make a profit. They find an oil that is acceptable for their machines, put their label on it, and double the price. "

Well said and that is true with all the oils ex. polaris, yamaha, honda, etc... and I have personaly found amsoil to work the best in all my 5 vehicles.

Old 11-25-2005, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default What Oil?

{{Keep in mind that Artic Cat is not an oil producer, or refiner}}

Amsoil and AC have something in common

Amsoil buys its synthetic base from Mobil Oil Company. And Mobil is the ONLY refiner of truly Synthetic oil base. Not hydro cracked Petroleum synthetic. So at the base of it everyone that uses a true synthetic starts with Mobil base. Amsol, Redline etc. All Mobil base. The difference is the additives and varies by what the application is and manufactures requirements. I agree with Bear especially in today’s world of complying with government’s countless requirements. Amsoil must blend a generic oil (cookie cutter approach) thus one of the factors in their lower cost.

Shonk

Old 11-25-2005, 07:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default What Oil?

"Keep in mind that Artic Cat is not an oil producer, or refiner. There oil is refined by one of the other major refiners and is repackaged with their label. With that said, I believe the majore reason Arctic Cat puts their label on a quart of oil is to make a profit. They find an oil that is acceptable for their machines, put their label on it, and double the price. "

Well said and that is true with all the oils ex. polaris, yamaha, honda, etc... and I have personaly found amsoil to work the best in all my 5 vehicles.
True, Arctic Cat is not an oil producer any more than say Mercury Marine. However they have oil made to their own specs to meet the requirements of their own products. Manufactures rarely just put their Name on just any junk out there. They test and quite often modify formulas and get something that works in their own product.