Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

What Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Oil?

What oil is everybody running in their Cats? I have always bought the stuff from my dealer, just wondering what everybody else does? Not sure that is worth the extra bucks. Anyone got an opinion?

Old 11-16-2005, 10:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default What Oil?

During break in I ran the standard AC oil (2 oil changed) and then switched to AC's synthetic. The stuff makes the engine run smoother and better. I switched the old 2001 AC 250 to it too because it worked so much better. I just buy the oil change kits that have the oil and the filter in them, Cheaper and easier.

Old 11-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default What Oil?

Amsoil makes a good oil also that is cheaper. just make sure you get the correct oil if you have a manual or not. Manual will need a wet clutch oil.

Old 11-18-2005, 05:18 PM
Trailblazer
Default What Oil?

I was thinking about switching to the synthetic myself. My dealer recommended staying with the regular. I would think the synthetic would be better and might even help the engine run cooler. You might be able to verify this Bear.

Old 11-18-2005, 09:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default What Oil?

Originally posted by: duckdawg
I was thinking about switching to the synthetic myself. My dealer recommended staying with the regular. I would think the synthetic would be better and might even help the engine run cooler. You might be able to verify this Bear.
It is and it does(cooling fan comes on less) and it is worth the extra expense. Why would your dealer tell you not to use an oil that will make your motor run better, last longer and have less problem? I find that strange. My dealer, highest volume Arctic Cat dealer in the state (only sells Cats too and gave me the best deal by several hundred dollars than any other dealer and gives me a 10% discount on parts because I bought from them) recommended I switch to the synthetic. Of course they only own and ride Arctic Cats themselves and don't ride any other brand.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Trailblazer
Default What Oil?

My dealer is better than your dealer : ) My dealer told me to switch to synth after my 2nd oil change, I did and it runs alot better.

Old 11-22-2005, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer
Default What Oil?

I am not doubting that. I am switching over tomorrow night. Thanks for the input.

Old 11-23-2005, 07:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default What Oil?

Originally posted by: Hoopie
Amsoil makes a good oil also that is cheaper. just make sure you get the correct oil if you have a manual or not. Manual will need a wet clutch oil.
shoudn't you use a wet clutch oil anyway? my 04-500 auto has a centrifigul clutch (the same as my 99 wolverine-manual) that is open to the crankcase and oiling system of the motor. this clutch then drives the shaft that then in turn drives the priminary belt clutch

Old 11-23-2005, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default What Oil?

you would be correct. THe amsoil 0w40 is for wet clutches and a lot of people use that in the cats with great results.

heres a link to check out
http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/ind...ic=15239&st=15

Old 11-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Range Rover
Default What Oil?

after asking my AC dealer about what oil to use he suggested a synthetic oil even if it is the first oil change. th w warranty would still be fine.
i know with polaris i always had synthetic and worked great.

tons and tons of miles before an oil change.

if you have a synthetic for an automobile it is around 7000 miles before change and not 3000 miles