Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

What Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Oil?

I beleive they do test the oil they put there name on it to find it satisfactory for them but that doesnt mean its the only oil that works for it. If that was the case they would have to supply you the oil for the oil changes.
I used arctic cat oil for my break in service and have no problems with it and I am sure its a good oil for it but that doesnt mean im going to spend twice the cost of an oil change when another oil will perform just as well. I talked to the mechanics frequently at a dealer I got my polaris and kawaski and yamaha at and they tell me they put Amsoil oil in all there oil changes when do maintanence for there customers. I beleive the most important thing is not the name on the oil its matching the oil viscosity for correct temperature and the correct additives with what is specified by the manufacturer of the vehicle and that includes leaving out certain additives also like "energy conserving".

Old 11-26-2005, 03:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default What Oil?

Energy conserving sounds like something to do with reducing friction to increase fuel economy and lasting longer by being resistant to heat. Do you know why synthetic oil was developed in the first place. It was developed because because regular petroleum oils lasted about 2 hours in jet engines. So they developed synthetic oil to with stand the high heat and reduce the friction by keeping everything lubricated. So by definition all synthetic or synthetic blended oils are energy conserving.

Old 11-26-2005, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default What Oil?

On "energy conserving" am i referring to non synthetic blends of oils.

Old 11-26-2005, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default What Oil?

Seems to me that Amsoil has more people selling than they have customers. Their marketing must be similar to Amway.

Shonk

Old 11-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default What Oil?

Originally posted by: Hoopie
On "energy conserving" am i referring to non synthetic blends of oils.

How would any non-synthetic oil be energy conserving?

Old 11-27-2005, 01:09 AM
JKB
Pro Rider
Default What Oil?

"Energy Conserving" means friction modifiers have been added and it is not recommened for wet clutches. Shell all produce synthetic base.
Jim

Old 11-27-2005, 03:11 AM
Pro Rider
Default What Oil?

Thank you JKB.

Old 11-28-2005, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default What Oil?

Like them or not Amsoil pioneered and produced synthetic oil in this country long before anyone else including Mobil. I have run several brands of synthetic in most everything I have owned since 1988. I have never had a problem and don't expect to. It tells you in the little manual that comes with the machine what the oil requirements are. (API classification SG, SH, SJ etc,) I have several different oils on the shelf and they all meet one or more of the requirements. Two of them are 5-40 diesel oils. I also have oil analysis done on my diesel. I have had three done with three different oils. All three performed very well. Friction modifiers are added to oil to increase disk friction. Energy conserving is a sales ploy that means the viscosity of the oil is thinner thus it takes less oil pump HP to run. 0-40, 5-40, 5-30 etc. will conserve energy when compared to 15-40. Later! Frank

Old 11-29-2005, 12:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default What Oil?

Originally posted by: frankblum43
Like them or not Amsoil pioneered and produced synthetic oil in this country long before anyone else including Mobil. I have run several brands of synthetic in most everything I have owned since 1988. I have never had a problem and don't expect to. It tells you in the little manual that comes with the machine what the oil requirements are. (API classification SG, SH, SJ etc,) I have several different oils on the shelf and they all meet one or more of the requirements. Two of them are 5-40 diesel oils. I also have oil analysis done on my diesel. I have had three done with three different oils. All three performed very well. Friction modifiers are added to oil to increase disk friction. Energy conserving is a sales ploy that means the viscosity of the oil is thinner thus it takes less oil pump HP to run. 0-40, 5-40, 5-30 etc. will conserve energy when compared to 15-40. Later! Frank

You are totally wrong, the US military had synthetic oil developed for jet engines (still the primary use for the stuff) and Amsoil didn't have squat to do with it. They ran in and tried to corner the civilian market when there was really no need for it in everyday use. Actually it is not done with lowering viscosity but making the oil slicker so as not to cause the drag thru the engine while being pumped and lets the engine parts mover easier with less drag. All the things done by synthetics by the way, plus synthetic is major resistant to heat breakdown (one of two major reasons oil doesn't last).

Old 11-29-2005, 12:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default What Oil?

I have never been totally wrong but on occasion I have been partly wrong. Amsoil was the first to market Synthetic oil to the general public. Slicker and thinner. Low pour point and a higher flash point were the two things that helped me decide to use synthetic. I didn't realize my post was going under a microscope. I will go away and let you have this forum all to yourself. Later! Frank