Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

tire bead troubles

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006 | 02:04 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default tire bead troubles

i recently blew the bead on my 400 and after trying to completely break the bead to seat it right again and not being able to break it even a little i just decided to load it with air and it seemed to work until my little bro clipped a tree today with it and its leaking again which leads me to believe it wasnt sitting right to begin with it leaks in several spots but barely noticable unless you spray water on it im thinking a bead sealer might be in order now i saw 2 types an aerosol type and black glue type is this a good idea i dont see very many people using it and if it is ok to use would it be a good idea to do all my tires to prevent this from happening again and does it make the bead more durable and last is it ok to use with tire slime thanks for you time otherwise i would have to learn the hard way trial and error

Old 01-23-2006 | 03:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rango726
i recently blew the bead on my 400 and after trying to completely break the bead to seat it right again and not being able to break it even a little i just decided to load it with air and it seemed to work until my little bro clipped a tree today with it and its leaking again which leads me to believe it wasnt sitting right to begin with it leaks in several spots but barely noticable unless you spray water on it im thinking a bead sealer might be in order now i saw 2 types an aerosol type and black glue type is this a good idea i dont see very many people using it and if it is ok to use would it be a good idea to do all my tires to prevent this from happening again and does it make the bead more durable and last is it ok to use with tire slime thanks for you time otherwise i would have to learn the hard way trial and error
It's called "Slime" put it in your tires and leak less than a 1/4" in size are gone along with the bead coming off. Just how low is the pressure in your tires anyway? Are your rims badly bent? I have never knocked a tire off the rim at 5 PSI. I have puncture them however.

Old 01-23-2006 | 10:44 AM
|
Pro Rider

the outer lip on the rim has a few wacks but the other rims have the same and there all fine i am new to the atv world so when i bought my quad it had 7lbs so i kept them at that i thought this was a little high but i dont know much about atvs other than what ive learned here i considered the slime but i wasnt sure if i should make sure the bead is sealed well before i slime it so it doesnt happen easily again the reason the tire came off the rim was because i was trying to crawl a rock at an angle and it was pushing on the tire but i kept going straight

Old 01-23-2006 | 01:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My rims are totally hammered (not a straight on on the 400) and like I say I have never lost a bead, with or without the Slime. I Slimed them for going flat (damn blackberry bushes anyway). I also carry a can of fix-a-flat to reinflate on the trail.

Old 01-23-2006 | 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

If you buy the slime stuff get the green stuff that has little chunks of rubber in it. It seals larger holes better. Also if you were trying to seat the bead and scuffed up the bead on your tire then you will definitely need some slime or something to seal it. I have smacked a rock with my tire, belnt the rim out of round and I never could get it to seal (or stay sealed long).

I do know a few guys that run tubes in ATV tires. not sure how they did it but they swear by it.

SJ

Old 02-28-2006 | 06:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

leaks in several spots but barely noticable unless you spray water on it im thinking a bead sealer might be in order now i saw 2 types an aerosol type and black glue type is this a good idea i dont see very many people using it and if it is ok to use would it be a good idea to do all my tires to prevent this from happening again and does it make the bead more durable and last is it ok to use with tire slime thanks for you time otherwise i would have to learn the hard way trial and error
The bead sealer is a good idea for the bead leaks. I use the thick stuff that comes in a can with a brush built in. If you have thin tires ie...badlands, the slime is probably a good idea. If you have a good 6 ply tire I would just carry some plugs and a small air compressor. Just my thoughts.

Old 02-28-2006 | 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

You may have got some bark or dirt or something in the bead.
It is hard to dismount a ATV tire. Take it to the shop and have it dismounted - cleaned and remounted.
Or you can do it yourself.
I put down a rug on the ground and lay the tire on the rug (to protect the rim)
Make sure the valve stem core is removed!
I then drive my truck onto the atv tire keeping the front truck tire as close to the rim as possible.
You should "follow" the rim around with your truck tire. This will pop the bead and let you get in
and clean the rim and tire. I put a very small amount of silicone on the rim to act as a lubricant and sealant.
It takes a good amount of air to reseat the bead. Maybe as much as 50psi.

This has fixed all of my bead leak problems.

Old 03-07-2006 | 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

i bought a 2006 400 auto and had the worst time with tires. on our first ride i had a flat. no puncture, the tire just came off the rim. i tried taking it to an automotive tire dealer and used bead sealer and everything. the tires would just never hold air. every time we would ride i would have a flat. both front tires were like that. i finally took it back to the dealer and he made them both up under warranty. i had less than a hundred miles on them but still that is a big step for a dealer to make up a tire. maybe you should go back to your dealer. all he can do is say no.

Old 03-07-2006 | 04:37 PM
|
Pro Rider

ive already gone to the dealer they wouldnt touch it they have been great with everything else but not this i already bought mud lites xl so hopefully they get here before the weekend im estimating a 200 mi ride

Old 03-07-2006 | 06:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

i am considering a new set of tires. let me know how you like the mudlights.

Quick Reply: tire bead troubles