Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

DOES ANYONE OWN A AC 400 MANUAL ALL TIME 4X4 SAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DOES ANYONE OWN A AC 400 MANUAL ALL TIME 4X4 SAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have left alot of posts trying to get some information about this atv i havent really figured out if i even want this quad. Does anyone own this atv or will i be the only one ? I like the price just want to know if the all the time 4x4 will get me killed turning and is the turning radius bad ? also is the gas milage really affected that bad like i wont be able to run with another atv on longer trips even thoguht it has a bigger fuel tank ? i just want to knw am i going to hate not having a instrument cluster to tel lem how fast im going or miles ? this will be my first atv do i really need that stuff ? the only thing im worried about is being able to tell if it over heating. I do want tobreak lose on the trails and fish tail and i dont want a slow machine that cant take a turn. Im also looking at getting a bruin 350 so any info will do i preffer someone that owns one of these atv`s

Old 06-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Trailblazer

No, I don't have one, BUT, since nobody has chimed in, I'll give you my opinion.

Before I bought my Honda everyone was telling me that I would hate the all-time 4x4, big turning radius and low fuel milage.

I ended up loving the all-time 4x4. I never have to switch back and forth and in high speed corners it helps me stay in control. No fishtailing. ( I realise that some WANT to fishtail for fun, I don't.)

It does have a bigger turning radius, (a little bit bigger) but it has never left me stuck. And while riding with my buddies, I have never been to a spot in the trail or boon-docking, where they could make it and I couldn't.

I actually get better fuel mileage than ALL of my friend's ATV's. Mostly because I have a smaller displacement motor, but the all-time 4x4 doesn't seem to cause more fuel useage.

Hope this helps a little.

Good luck, Kev

Old 06-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply yeah i like the price $4,900 out the door its really bothering me no one owns this atv lolol hey i think im going with it i cant really afford over $6,000 i just want to get in. it looks really cool and it has less parts that a liquid cooled motor less stuff that breaks i think. Is your hond sra rear end ?

Old 06-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The motor is the same for all the 400 models (except the DVX) and they are pertty much bullet proof. I prefer a manual over an auto, but thats just me.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

why the manual over auto is there something i dont know ???????? more reliable ?

Old 06-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: craw8101
why the manual over auto is there something i dont know ???????? more reliable ?
Nope, just depends on if you enjoy shifting. Good luck and hurry up and get an ATV already [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

as to the difference between full time 4x4 or selectable ive only ridden selectable but i can tell you with the 06 cat it is a huge quad already big enough to make it tough on tight trails i find my self having to back up a couple times when its real tight so i can only imagine full time 4x4 will be miserable on real tight turns i know if i forget to swith out its tuff to make tight turns. maine hunt has alot smaller quad a nice quad but smaller so hes got it a bit easier the fis is incredible at keeping the tires on the ground while mudding or rock crawling but from what i hear isnt so good at high speed maneuvering i not big into speed anyways but im glad i got the fis model i like having all the gauges i like being able to monitor all my atv functions but good luck on what you decide

Old 06-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Catterman
Nope, just depends on if you enjoy shifting. Good luck and hurry up and get an ATV already [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Not quite true. When you come to a corner or are climbing a hill, with the manual you have the choice of downshifting to get into the best place in the engine's power band where as with the auto you are stuck with what ever the system has program. Which maybe OK or not depending on conditions. The maunal will almost always get better fuel economy as the engine speed is contolled by which gear you select instead of what the auto is programmed for. I prefer being in control of what the engine revs are and which gear I am in.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:07 AM
Range Rover

Auto's "programed" ???????.........these are not automobile trannies..........they're not subject to computer driven responses..........they're belt driven with infinitely variable ratios.
They have no "wrong" gear.
To reallyappreciate the difference between an "automatic' and a manual one only needs to follow a manual ATV up a steep hill as they downshift to get that "ideal" engine speed and watch it lose momentum as it's shifted.
This can be painfully critical........especially if too much momentum is lost on the climb.........as loss of traction can occur during the gear change........and the hill is lost.
The auto, on the other hand, experiences a continious, uninterrupted flow of power.
I have both an auto and a manual..........and that's just the way it is.

Old 06-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: Bear4570
Originally posted by: Catterman
Not quite true. When you come to a corner or are climbing a hill, with the manual you have the choice of downshifting to get into the best place in the engine's power band where as with the auto you are stuck with what ever the system has program. Which maybe OK or not depending on conditions. The maunal will almost always get better fuel economy as the engine speed is contolled by which gear you select instead of what the auto is programmed for. I prefer being in control of what the engine revs are and which gear I am in.
That is funny, I got better fuel economy on my 400 auto then my buddy did on his same year 400 manual. When you come to a hill, you have a choice with the auto too, let off the throttle for maximum engine braking, and hit the gas when going up a hill and you will always be in the correct gear. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

See, it comes down to if you want to shift or not. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]