Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Fuel/Carb problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel/Carb problem

I have a 97 bearcat 454. Been having fuel/ carbs problems for a while now, looking for advice before I give up and part her out. It seems to load up with fuel when you hit the gas, if it runs long enough it will "air out" and be ok. I changed the needle and seat thinking that was it. Now when I trun the gas valve on it leaks out the over fill tubs. I tried driving it and it does the same thing, except her is the kicker when it starts out and is bogging if you put the choke on it's like a turbo and runs fine. How can it be overfilling and running lean at the same time? I am about ready to throw in the towel. Anybody have any suggestions.
What about changing to a VM Mikuni carb and adding a fuel pump. I can get a good deal on one if needed. Can it be done?
Thanks

Old 06-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dirt in your gas and/or tank either screwed up your new needle and seat or you set the float setting wrong (or didn't reset it). Sounds to me like you need a carb rebuild and unless you have a manual' have someone else do it. Also install a fuel filter between the tank and the carb. Todays gas is the dirtious stuff in history along with the alcohol that collects water which screws things up even worse.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Trailblazer

I have cleaned the gas valve screen in the tank, installed a inline filter, and float was set to the spec in the manual (.57"). The carb was completely torn down and cleaned. Like I said this one is stumping my friends as well as myself.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check your jet needle and jet tube for wear. When they wear your unit will load up at idle and run out good on the top end. Did you check the o-ring on the outside of your seat. If it is bad fuel can seep around your seat even if needle is shutting fuel off. Hope this helps, TORK

Old 06-03-2006, 02:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BLUEZL600EFI
I have cleaned the gas valve screen in the tank, installed a inline filter, and float was set to the spec in the manual (.57"). The carb was completely torn down and cleaned. Like I said this one is stumping my friends as well as myself.
If you are slooping fuel out the overflows there is only one way to do that. The needle is not seatting properly or the level is too high. Nothing else can cause it.

Old 06-03-2006, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bear4570
Originally posted by: BLUEZL600EFI
If you are slooping fuel out the overflows there is only one way to do that. The needle is not seatting properly or the level is too high. Nothing else can cause it.
this is true...you can remove the bottom of the carb and use your finger to move the float up.....does it stop the gas??.....if so maybe the float only shuts the gas off when the float is way up.....the needle rests on a metal tab (I Think) that could be bent toward the needle to stop the fuel sooner.....

Old 06-03-2006, 07:38 AM
Trailblazer

The O-ring crossed my mind. I had to use the old one cause I forget to get a new on and replaced it up north over the weekend. I will do that next time I go up north. The sleeve on the jet was my next try also. I will post if I find a fix for it. Otherwise it may be a post for part LOL.