Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

700 EFI NEW MEMBER(axles)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 EFI NEW MEMBER(axles)

Originally posted by: tibs
wow i need to get my warenty work done down south.
dealer told me when i put my 27" swamp lites on that any thing he can blame on those tires ...ie broke axel,ring and pinion, engine fatigue pretty much any thing upstream of those tires he would not warantee.
but back to the subject at hand. i've owned on (04) 650 and now 0wn an (05) 650 and have broke 5 axles, most of wich i had the diff's locked ond turned the wheel to sharp......oops my bad.
i also think that a drive system has to have a weak point some where ,when the tires stop and the motors still going somethings gonna give .
and by having the weak point be an axle is good.
cheapest part in system,easy to change, and can run without one.
so if you go with gorilla, and dont get me wrong i'm on the fence about getting them myself, whats gonna break next? ring and pinion? clutch?
for now i just pack a spare nuckel.
Gorilla axles are still the weak point. They break too, just not as often as the stockers. The next weak point is the bevel gear. Even stock axles are breaking them on the H1's.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:46 PM
Trailblazer

SO YOU WOULD RECOMEND GORILLA .
WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT PUTTING THE 6" LIFT ON VS JUST AXELS ?

Old 10-18-2006, 01:09 PM
Got Milk!

SO YOU WOULD RECOMEND GORILLA .
WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT PUTTING THE 6" LIFT ON VS JUST AXELS ?
Well I am happy with my Gorilla's as they haven't broke or anything, but I also don't like there price. $1,400 is a lot of money. You can find some deals out there though or some used ones that will work great still.

As for the lift, if ground clearance is an issue then go ahead and do it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I don't think I would ever do it to mine, but to each his own! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-19-2006, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Catterman
Originally posted by: Theshonk

I think we are on different pages here...

Of course Gorilla isn't going to pay for a new clutch or whatever, only there own axles, but if your clutch fails the dealer can not refuse the waranty work simply because you have Gorilla Axles on. They have to prove that your axles are what caused the failure. From my old law school days... "Federal law sets forth requirements for warranties and contains a number of provisions to prevent vehicle manufacturers, dealers and others from unjustly denying warranty coverage. With regard to aftermarket parts, the spirit of the law is that warranty coverage cannot be denied simply because such parts are present on the vehicle, or have been used. The warranty coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the malfunction or damage for which warranty coverage is sought."

Are you callign me "ignorant"? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

................."From my old law school"................
You must have drop out after the 1st day

.................."The dealer cannot refuse the warranty work simply because you have Gorilla Axles on"...............
Sure they can. They can call law enforcement and throw you out of their business

................."Warranty coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the malfunction or damage for which warranty coverage is sought." ???..................

Councilor you must be referring to The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) which supports my point. The dealer can say that the axles caused the failure now the burden is on the customer. As it should be since this law only applies to motor vehicles not off highway atvs.

?????????Are you calling me "ignorant"?????????.

Ignorant = badly informed...............You make the call

Shonk

Text<u>Text</u>
Shonk, I am surprised by your actions and thoughts here. I have known you for several years on this forum and Arctic Chat and 99% of the time agree with your posts.

Do you honestly believe that changing your axles to Gorilla's will void your waranty??? Maybe you could give us a real life example. A good dozen or so of us have them on Arctic Chat, and about 50 people have them over at HL.

The following is reguards to cars, but the same would apple to ATV's. And I don't think I am Ignorant [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

You'll often hear this myth regarding hacking or modding your car: it automatically cancels your warranty. Don't believe it as gospel. Sure, changing the windshield wiper blades can't cause the transmission to break, but your warranty won't allow you to do whatever you want to your car.

Warranty requirements
When it comes to new car warranties, automotive owners and enthusiasts have a very important lobbying body on their side, namely SEMA (the Specialty Equipment Market Association). SEMA represents the aftermarket manufacturers, wholesalers, retailers, and distributors in North America. Because this association of aftermarket parts suppliers has a vested interest in the continued sale of aftermarket parts, it has helped to keep new car manufacturers in check by successfully lobbying for legislation that prevents new car dealership service providers from denying warranty coverage, for example in a seized motor, because you chose to use those snazzy aftermarket carbon fiber windshield wipers instead of the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) parts sold through their parts/service departments.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
The relevant legislation here, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975, protects consumers from being wrongfully denied warranty coverage by new car dealers.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states, in part, in Title 15, United States Code, Section 2302, subdivision (c):
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the [Federal Trade] Commission if ?

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefore.

Under this federal statute, a manufacturer who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle is prohibited from requiring you to use a service or maintenance item, unless such item is provided, free of charge, under your warranty or unless the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) waives this prohibition against the manufacturer.

Further, under the act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not automatically void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty, or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure.

Specifically, the rules and regulations adopted by the FTC to govern the interpretation and enforcement of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act are set forth in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 16 - Commercial Practices, Chapter I - Federal Trade Commission, Subchapter G - Rules, Regulations, Statements and Interpretations under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Part 700 - Interpretations under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Contained within these rules and regulations is Section 700.10, which states:
No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, "This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized 'ABC' dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine 'ABC' parts," and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102(c) ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of "unauthorized" articles or service. This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by such "unauthorized" articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused.

Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim ? or it proffers a questionable explanation ? it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.

That being said, if you choose to modify your car, and suddenly the fancy new electronic control boxes that you added to your car make it run rough, not start when cold, or buck like a bronco, the dealer can and will charge a diagnostic fee to find out what is wrong with your car. If it turns out that your modifications are the cause of the problem, the dealer has every right not only to charge you for the diagnosis and repair, but to also void the portion of the warranty that has been compromised by the use of those aftermarket parts. Likewise, a dealer may refuse to service your car if it is adorned with aftermarket parts to the extent that its technicians cannot reasonably be expected to diagnose what is wrong with your car. As an example, all cars manufactured after 1994 are equipped with OBDII (On Board Diagnostics II) ports that dealers use to read engine diagnostic codes for everything from an engine vacuum leak to a malfunctioning emissions system. If your chosen modification has compromised the dealer service center's ability to scan for these codes (aftermarket ECUs generally do not support OBDII), then there is a strong probability that the dealer service center will

When it comes to legality and warranty concerns, neither proceed based solely on slick advertising and marketing by parts manufacturers and resellers, nor allow yourself to be cowed into paranoia. Information is power, and knowing your rights and obligations is the foundation to any thoughtfully modified car.

?????99% of the time agree with your posts????.
If I weren?t already happily married I would propose

?..? Do you honestly believe that changing your axles to Gorilla's will void your warranty??????..
Read the contract you signed

????And I don't think I am Ignorant [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]????
I withdraw my proposal My lovely is all knowing ( antonym for ignorant)

??? Under this federal statute, a manufacturer who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle??????.

My dear a ATV is not by legal definition is not a motor vehicle your argument does not apply. Did you even show up for the 1st day? (just joking)

?.? Do you honestly believe that changing your axles to Gorilla's will void your warranty????.
If the dealer/manufacture decides to void the warranty they can.

BTW Magnuson-Moss Act was lobbied largely by the oil companies and their products do have to meet manufactures specifications which Gorilla Axles to the best of my knowledge do not.

Shonk

Old 10-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Got Milk!

Shonk, so if I replace my stock radiator cap with one from Napa, according to what you are saying, that will void my waranty??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 10-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Trailblazer

short story.
1200 miles engine started smoking ------ quart of oil in 40 miles------
dealer could not find any thing wrong aside from tearing my engine apart.
came to the conclusion that the k n air filter that i had on allowed to much air into my engine thus wearing the hash marks off the silinder walls and causing oil blow by.
results----- i rebuilt the engine my self and wiped my *** with the warantee.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Got Milk!

short story.
1200 miles engine started smoking ------ quart of oil in 40 miles------
dealer could not find any thing wrong aside from tearing my engine apart.
came to the conclusion that the k n air filter that i had on allowed to much air into my engine thus wearing the hash marks off the silinder walls and causing oil blow by.
results----- i rebuilt the engine my self and wiped my *** with the warantee.
I know you said short story and all, but K&N's will not void the waranty

Old 10-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Trailblazer

i stand behind k&n 100% , but trying to convince them of that was very frustrating
according to a mechanic that works there, it's a new waranty company and they are very strick, wont otherize any work without a tek rep's ok first. they also don't pay as much per hour and have a set amount of time it should take to do a job.
to sum it up it's not wort it to em.
so the dealership would rather blame the consumer then deal with waranty,,,,,,,,,

Old 10-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

Shonk, so if I replace my stock radiator cap with one from Napa, according to what you are saying, that will void my waranty??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

If the said cap was not to spec and you lost the cooling and damaged the motor YEP
Shonk

Old 10-19-2006, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

that dude was just trying to get some info and you all got real defencesive? whats up with that?

Quick Reply: 700 EFI NEW MEMBER(axles)