Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Back Brace for riding?

Old 04-23-2007, 08:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back Brace for riding?

I injured my back and need to wear a back brace when I ride now. I looked at the Dennis Kirk catalog and they have a "Back Support Brace" and a Kidney Belt. Both say they spport the lower back, but not much else. Any suggestions on which I should get? The kidney belt looks and sounds like it has more support.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:43 AM
HR
Range Rover

i don't know the nature of your injury, but i wear a kidney belt when heading into realy bad country. the back brace never did it for ME but it might work for you.
if you need to help stabelize your back then i would go with the back brace. if after a ride your kidneys hurt and you pee blood then you need the kidney brace. the kidney brace is JUST that. to help hold them in place.
watch your tire presure also. to much will make for an unnessarly stiff ride.

HR.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Range Rover

I don't ride my quad with back support, but every year I ride snow machines over a long weekend. We usually ride at least a 100 miles a day and I wear a back support for that. You might ask your doc (the one that treated your back injury) which he would recommend given your injury.

I use an elastic one with velcro on the ends. It can be adjusted for tightness with tabs on the sides. Cost was about $20-$25. It works very well for me. Prior to using the support my back would be in significant discomfort by the end of the day. The support has eliminated 95% of that discomfort. It forces me to have better posture and therefore keeps everything like it's suppose to be. I don't have too much of a "gut" and if you do that can make back problems worse as the extra weight on your front will strain your back, particularly when bouncing around on a quad. The support will help.

But... it's not a cure all. If you've got blood in your pee from kidneys, then you have bigger problems and need to seek medical advice - soon.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Range Rover

Thanks guys. At this point, sitting on my tractor for an hour to cut grass kills my lower back and feels completely weak. I haven't ridin in 6 weeks and it will probably be another few weeks before I ride again. I went for a short ride on my land this weekend and damn near killed myself going over a small berm I've ridden over hundreds of times.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:42 AM
HR
Range Rover

first all i am by NO MEANS A DOCTOR!!!!!! so take what i say next how ever you want.

i would go to the cyropractor, then go get a "MAYAN" massage, then back to the cyropractor and then back to the massage. to make sure after one it doesn't put you back out of place... so that both will work together.
i have a hurniated disk in my back. (just realised i can't spell for sh*t) the message and cyro work great for me. keeps me going.
but if your doctor said you should do other wise then by all means fallow his advise.
you ned to try and relax when riding. don't stifen up to much to try and stop the bouncing.. it'll only make things worse

good luck

HR.