Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

04 AC 400 auto.Stator problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 AC 400 auto.Stator problem.

Hello all,
i just bought an 04 AC 400 auto and i now know the stator is bad.Hey buck this is the quad i talked about before when the people i was buying it from did,nt know what was wrong with it.They cleaned the carb,changed the fuel.and were still having a problem!Their mechanic said the wire from the stator was burn't.So he told them it was the stator.So people i bought it from took off another 200.00 fromthe sale price,in which i paid 2600.00 for it.I think that is a very good deal,as the local AC dealer said the NADA book value is 3900.00.It has 230 miles.Anyway if anybody can tell me how to fix this and where to order the part from would be of great help.They said the part was anywhere from 139-to 179 at rocky mt.atv.I never had to fix something like this so i'm not to sure.Ok thanks.Talk to ya soon.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mriver39
Hello all,
i just bought an 04 AC 400 auto and i now know the stator is bad.Hey buck this is the quad i talked about before when the people i was buying it from did,nt know what was wrong with it.They cleaned the carb,changed the fuel.and were still having a problem!Their mechanic said the wire from the stator was burn't.So he told them it was the stator.So people i bought it from took off another 200.00 fromthe sale price,in which i paid 2600.00 for it.I think that is a very good deal,as the local AC dealer said the NADA book value is 3900.00.It has 230 miles.Anyway if anybody can tell me how to fix this and where to order the part from would be of great help.They said the part was anywhere from 139-to 179 at rocky mt.atv.I never had to fix something like this so i'm not to sure.Ok thanks.Talk to ya soon.
I went to arcticcatonlineparts.com and the stator is $349, I am sure you can find one cheaper. A quick look on ebay and there was a wide range of pricing but you would need to make sure it would be for your machine - ($30-350).

To fix it you need to take the left side apart. Take your foot rest off, then the pull start, the the side cover, starter gears, magneto rotor (you need a special tool) etc.

I would have a dealer do it. Be prepared for a sizeable labor bill. You might call and get some quoted idea.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

hi buck,
thanks for the info.I did not buy the quad as i was going too,when i looked at it (tonight) i had 2nd thoughts.Also the the rear axle was spill'in it guts out.This quad does not have a front lock diff.My gut tells me to pass on it,and i'm going too!Maybe i'll start to look for something even newer .I know one thing i'm not rushing into buyin anything!!I really like the ground clearance on these bikes though.Anyway thanks for your help again.How's the weather up there,you guys got blasted again with snow i saw!!My brother lives in Conway,n.h.He says he loves it up there and ain't never com'in back to jersey!!Looks like awsome country up there.Ok,take it easy.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mriver39
hi buck,
thanks for the info.I did not buy the quad as i was going too,when i looked at it (tonight) i had 2nd thoughts.Also the the rear axle was spill'in it guts out.This quad does not have a front lock diff.My gut tells me to pass on it,and i'm going too!Maybe i'll start to look for something even newer .I know one thing i'm not rushing into buyin anything!!I really like the ground clearance on these bikes though.Anyway thanks for your help again.How's the weather up there,you guys got blasted again with snow i saw!!My brother lives in Conway,n.h.He says he loves it up there and ain't never com'in back to jersey!!Looks like awsome country up there.Ok,take it easy.
Well that is too bad - sounded like a good deal. Didn't seem it had enough miles on it for someone to beat it up too bad.
My 03 doesn't have a locker either - I do good without it. Maybe someday I will put an 04 frontend in. But even without it I get where I want to go, and alot of places others can't. My front end seems to work ok - it twitches back an forth shifting the power from one side to another - the only real problem I have is when one wheel is off the ground. In some respects it is good that I don't have the locker, I could overwork the thing and break something, as it is now if I can't make it I just run my winch out and pull myself through easily. That way I am not beating on my machine too much. As it is I broke two rear foot brake housings (not going to replace this last one - still have the hydralic/hand one to the rear) and one rear axle, as a result of a rock getting jammed in between the brake housing and wheel locking the wheel when I was getting on it pretty good in low range. In my pictures where it looks like Kitty will roll on its side is when I broke the axle, but it pulled out of there dragging the right rear. Once out I was able to rock it back and forth to free the rock. Then I drove out with the rear axle clanking a little - not bad because where it broke was in the inner boot next to the differential and the boot kept it from flopping all over the place.